Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hostage's Homosexuality kept quiet

Default Hostage's Homosexuality kept quiet

TORONTO(AP) Fears that Iraqi captors might harm a Canadian hostage if they knew he was gay forced his partner to remain silent as loved ones called for an end to the ordeal, a director from the freed hostage's aid group said Monday.

During his four months of captivity, James Loney's sexuality was kept out of the media at the request of his family, said Doug Pritchard, co-director of the aid group Christian Peacemaker Teams.

"It's a sad fact that around the world gays and lesbians are more vulnerable to attack than straights," Pritchard said. "When Jim was already in a vulnerable position we didn't, nor did his family, want him exposed to further danger."

On Sunday, Loney's return home was marked by an emotional welcome at Toronto's international airport attended by friends, family and his partner, Dan Hunt. While family members made appeals for Loney's release during his hostage ordeal, the homecoming marked the first time Hunt appeared publicly.

In 2001, Amnesty International reported that Iraq's constitution was amended to make homosexuality a crime punishable by death. Although the constitution reverted back to the original 1969 document when Saddam Hussein's regime was toppled in 2003, the status of gay and lesbian rights remain unclear.

Loney, 41, a peace activist with Christian Peacemaker Teams, was kidnapped off the streets of Baghdad on Nov. 26 along with fellow Canadian Harmeet Sooden, 33, Briton Norm Kember, 74, and American Tom Fox, 54.

Fox's bullet-ridden body was found dumped on the streets of Baghdad on March 9.

Last Thursday, coalition soldiers raided an otherwise empty house near Baghdad and rescued Loney, Sooden and Kember.

"We expect James to arrive in Sault Ste. Marie with Dan in the next few days," said his brother Matt, who also arrived Monday in the family's hometown in Ontario. "We look forward to celebrating with family, with our friends ... We are preparing a safe and loving place for James to arrive."

Default Re: Hostage Homosexuality kept quiet

I didn't realize he was from my hometown. This is sad, but I'm glad the media understood the gravity of the situation and respected his family's wishes.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I just happened to come across this and would never have known or thought about this since he was part of a Christian group. I just found this all very surprising. Yay for Canada on this one. Kind of reminds me of the Iran-hostage thing when Canada smuggled some Americans out of there. At least Canada can keep it's mouth shut when it needs to!
    *another way of saying Canada is sneaky as hell(but smart)! *

Omg, Sault St. Marie? Poor thing.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I think it speaks alot to how accepting and loving most Christians are towards homosexuals. He was not discriminated against by his fellow peace workers. However the Moslems would have murdered him for it.

Just as many Christians would have wanted to do the same, but unlike their Muslim brethren don't have the balls

Don't delude yourself.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    Omg, Sault St. Marie? Poor thing.
    Sadly, that be where I'm from. BF too. But neither of us can, or ever could, stand the place.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Default Re: Hostage's Homosexuality kept quiet

omg I knew this guy was gay from the moment I saw him on t.v. - no suprise here.

Hey you gotta do what you gotta do. How did reporters in the US not report this? They're such blabber mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphycnan
    Hey you gotta do what you gotta do. How did reporters in the US not report this? They're such blabber mouths.
    The Canadians probably knew better and never told anyone. You just know the US media would never have kept this quiet-they really are blabber mouths just like you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati
    Sadly, that be where I'm from. BF too. But neither of us can, or ever could, stand the place.
    I just had a friend move from there to Toronto.. he's like "Toronto is fucking great! I could run down the street smeared with green jello, screaming obscenities, and nobody would even blink!"

That's pretty much how it is... the comparative freedom of Toronto is extremely liberating. Edmonton was similar, only smaller - a liberal haven in redneck Alberta. The Soo can feel so oppressive, and Sudbury's no better - they're just not built for young people, they're places to settle down and work in a plant for 30 years.

What's your friend's name Grimmy?

- Kahlil Gibran

Sean Headrick, big bald guy

SVZ

oh my god?!?! canadian sean!! i so know him!

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMonkey
    I think it speaks alot to how accepting and loving most Christians are towards homosexuals. He was not discriminated against by his fellow peace workers. However the Moslems would have murdered him for it.
    Your statement is so ignorant it is laughable. What about the "Christians" who murdered Matthew Shephard???
    A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror. -Ken Keyes Jr.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information