Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Libya: Defiant Moammar Gadhafi vows to die a 'martyr'

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Arrow Libya: Defiant Moammar Gadhafi vows to die a 'martyr'

Defiant Gadhafi vows to die a 'martyr' - CNN.com

(CNN) -- Eight days into protests that have cost him control of eastern Libya and the support of some prominent Libyan officials worldwide, leader Moammar Gadhafi delivered a defiant, rambling speech Tuesday, refusing calls to step down.

"This is my country, the country of my grandfathers," Gadhafi said in remarks carried live on Libyan state television. He vowed to die "a martyr" in his country.

Blaming the unrest on "rats" who are "agents" of foreign intelligence services, Gadhafi read from a book of laws and said people found to be cooperating with outside forces fomenting discord, and those who carry weapons against the country, will be executed.

The 68-year-old, who has been in power for nearly 42 years, spoke from a compound that the United States bombed in 1986, the Jamahiriya News Agency of Libya reported. The United States attacked the compound after it implicated Libya in a bombing in West Berlin that resulted in the death of a U.S. service member.

Gadhafi's characteristically lengthy remarks, lasting well over an hour, came after a brief appearance early Tuesday on Libyan state TV in which he rejected rumors that he had fled to Venezuela.

An opposition leader said young people were physically dragged onto the streets to watch the speech in what Libyan state TV presented as crowds of supporters.

Some students at Tripoli's Academy of Graduate Studies were offered free Masters degrees if they went to Green Square to show support for Gadhafi, a source said. The source's neighbors in Tripoli were offered money to put pictures of Gadhafi on their cars and go to Green Square.

Even as he called on Libyans who "love and support him" to go out on the streets and demonstrate for him, Gadhafi's grip on power appeared to be weakening.

In eastern Libya, groups of armed people in civilian clothing were guarding the streets as opposition leaders seemed to be in firm control, CNN correspondent Ben Wedeman reported. Wedeman is the first Western television correspondent to enter and report from Libya during the crisis.

As Wedeman was going in to the country, a young man at the border in civilian clothing toting an AK-47 asked for passports. "For what?" responded Wedeman's driver. "There is no government. What is the point?" They then drove in. And on the Libyan side, there were "no officials, no passport control, no customs," Wedeman reported.

The Libyan ambassador to the United States, Ali Aujali, called for Gadhafi to resign, joining a growing chorus of Libyan officials, including the deputy ambassador to the United Nations, who say they are working for the Libyan people and not for Gadhafi.

The U.N. Security Council met Tuesday morning behind closed doors -- the group's first meeting since the wave of protests rippling through Arab countries began weeks ago.

The Arab League held an emergency summit as well.

Ibrahim Dabbashi, Libya's deputy ambassador to the United Nations, called Monday for the U.N. to take key steps, including shutting airspace over Tripoli to prevent Gadhafi's regime from restocking its military. He accused Gadhafi of carrying out "genocide."

Dabbashi said the toll in clashes so far could be as high as 800. Human Rights Watch said Monday that at least 233 people have been killed during the unrest. CNN has been in contact with medics and witnesses in Libya, whose accounts appear to corroborate the Human Rights Watch report.

The rights group said Tuesday that witnesses in Tripoli "have described Libyan forces firing 'randomly' at protesters" this week and that sources from two hospitals in Tripoli reported at least 62 bodies.

Witnesses have told CNN that helicopter gunships fired into crowds of protesters.

Libya's government denied it was turning its air force against civilians. Gadhafi's second-oldest son, Saif al-Islam Gadhafi, told the state news agency Jamahirya the warplanes were targeting weapons depots in remote areas.

But one witness, who agreed to be identified only as Adam, said helicopters landed troops "armed to the teeth" in Tripoli's Green Square on Monday.

"They have been using aerial tactics, along with men on the ground, to disperse and shoot indiscriminately into crowds," he said. The force included both government troops and mercenaries working for Gadhafi, he said. But residents responded by barricading themselves in their homes and setting up makeshift checkpoints to keep cars full of gunmen out of their neighborhoods.

On Tuesday evening, some anti-government protesters began trying to gather in Tripoli and were fired on by people on foot wearing plain clothes, a witness said. The sounds of "non-stop bullets" could be heard throughout the capital, which the source described as "electronic firing." At least some of the firing seemed to be coming from Green Square, the source said.

Red cars drove through the streets of Tripoli and fired indiscriminately at people, a source in the capital said.

Residents in Tripoli on Tuesday reported a food shortage, gunfire and intimidation by security forces.

Security forces cordoned off the Fashloom suburb of the capital and were shooting anyone who moves on the streets, including those who are trying to retrieve bodies, said Mohamed Abdallah, spokesman for the National Front for the Salvation of Libya opposition group. Abdallah attributed the information to four eyewitnesses on the ground.

An opposition figure said when some people made it to their destinations to try to retrieve bodies, they were told the bodies would not be released unless they signed a form saying the person had died in surgery.

CNN could not immediately confirm reports for most areas. The Libyan government maintains tight control on communications and has not responded to repeated requests for access to the country, though CNN has interviewed numerous witnesses by phone.

In eastern Libya, where Wedeman reported, residents said hundreds of mercenaries from sub-Saharan Africa had been killed or captured while fighting for Gadhafi, but much of the army appeared to have switched over to anti-government forces.

People in Tobruk threatened to cut off the export of oil from eastern Libya "if Gadhafi does not stop this massacre," Wedeman reported. He saw one police station in Tobruk's main square that was torched. Other buildings were sacked, but banks and some other installations appeared untouched.

A senior source close to the Libyan government said ammunition depots had been attacked and that millions of pieces of ammunition and guns were "everywhere." The source said the country was fighting "Islamic extremists."

The unrest in Libya has been fueled by protesters demanding freedom and decrying high unemployment.

Even as Gadhafi tried to assert his power, he gained the ire of increasing numbers of Libyans worldwide.

About 250 protesters stormed into the Libyan Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on Tuesday, chanting and calling for Gadhafi to step down, a counselor at the embassy said. Osama Ahmed said the majority of the protesters were Libyan students studying in Malaysia. The protests were relatively peaceful, and embassy security let the protesters stay for two hours.

A top Libyan diplomat stationed in China said Tuesday he had resigned to protest his government's violent crackdown on protesters and called on Gadhafi to step down and leave the country.

Hussein Sadiq al Musrati, who was the second secretary in the Libyan mission to Beijing before stepping down four days ago, joined about 20 students and protesters in front of the Libyan Embassy in Beijing on Tuesday. Demonstrators held signs that read, "The game is over. Get out ... you're finished."

The U.S. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, said the Libyan "military firing on its own people, killing its own people is absolutely unacceptable." The situation "needs to be resolved peacefully," he said.

The U.S. European Command issued a statement saying it was "monitoring the situation closely. We have plans on the shelf for a great many contingencies, and are certainly taking a look at what capabilities we could bring if needed. European Command will continue to monitor the events in Libya, and is prepared to assist as required."

CNN's Richard Roth, Ben Brumfield, Amir Ahmed, Ingrid Formanek, Eve Bower, Salma Abdelaziz, Mitra Mobasherat and Jaime FlorCruz and journalist Natalino Fenech contributed to this report.

Oh, I'm so happy my friend decided to move from there with his family this summer.

Plsdiekthnx
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

So, I'm a little confused. Can you really just name yourself a martyr? Isn't that like calling yourself the king of pop? I thought martyrdom came from how others perceived your death. Seems a bit presumptuous when your country is in violent revolt against your leadership to say that you will die a martyr.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

I think the best part of his performance was deciding to dress up as a Tuscan Raider.

Anybody catch his live rant earlier? He's totally insane.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

If you just listened to the audio only, you'd almost swear it was Hitler.

Happy martyrdom.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Anybody catch his live rant earlier? He's totally insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    If you just listened to the audio only, you'd almost swear it was Hitler.
    Yeah...a real nutter.

Mr. Gadhafi - I believe you are going to get your wish. Be careful what you wish for, bub.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

He should go on trial for the murder of the 270 people people killed by the Lockerbie bombing.

A tad O/T, but wasn't there a poster that as soon as she joined was posting pics of Libya and bragging about how great it is to live there and how its very stable? Suzan or something? Or was it a different country? I coud swear it was Libya...
    And obviously I get that the entire country isn't involved in this particular situation....but had to bring it up.

This dude is a complete jackass....

Edit: dammit it was Beirut I think...never mind.

Die a martyr? Well, if you insist.

Lynnie, I think she was talking about Iran. Is this the chick you mean? What is your view about Iran?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

suzan was in Lebanon. I'm pretty sure.

Well, with his 40 virgin bodyguards ready to die with him, he's all set. He'll go to heaven with half his virgins already.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ you gotta be fucking kidding me right now

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information