Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killings of newborn babies on the rise in Pakistan

Default Killings of newborn babies on the rise in Pakistan

Killings of newborn babies on the rise in Pakistan - Yahoo! News

KARACHI (AFP) The lifeless bodies of two tiny babies are being given their final bath before burial in Karachi, after they were left to die in the southern Pakistani city's garbage dumps.

"They can only have been one or two days old," says volunteer worker Mohammad Saleem, pointing at the two small corpses being gently washed by his colleagues at a charity's morgue.

In the conservative Muslim nation, where the birth of children outside of marriage is condemned and adultery is a crime punishable by death under strict interpretations of Islamic law, infanticide is a crime on the rise.

More than 1,000 infants -- most of them girls -- were killed or abandoned to die in Pakistan last year according to conservative estimates by the Edhi Foundation, a charity working to reverse the grim trend.

The infanticide figures are collected only from Pakistan's main cities, leaving out huge swathes of the largely rural nation, and the charity says that in December alone it found 40 dead babies left in garbage dumps and sewers.

The number of dead infants found last year -- 1,210 -- was up from 890 in 2008 and 999 in 2009, says the Edhi Foundation manager in Karachi, Anwar Kazmi.

Tragic tales abound.

Kazmi recounts the discovery of the burnt body of a six-day-old infant who had been strangled. Another child was found on the steps of a mosque having been stoned to death on the orders of an extremist imam who has since disappeared, he says.

"Do not murder, lay them here," reads a sign hanging outside the charity's Karachi base where it has left cradles in the hope that parents will abandon their unwanted children there, instead of leaving them to die.

"People leave these children mostly because they think they are illegitimate, but they are as innocent and loveable as all human beings," says the charity's founder, well-known humanitarian Abdul Sattar Edhi.

Most children found are less than a week old.

Khair Mohammad, 65, works as a watchman in the charity's vast graveyard in the city outskirts. It is dotted with tiny unnamed graves.

"We acquired this land to bury children after another plot was filled with hundreds of bodies," he says.

The death toll is far worse among girls, says manager Kazmi, with nine out of ten dead babies the charity finds being female.

"The number of infanticides of girls has substantially increased," Kazmi says, a rise attributed to increased poverty across the country.

Girls are seen by many Pakistanis as a greater economic burden as most women are not permitted to work and are considered to be the financial responsibilty of their fathers, and later their husbands.

A Pakistani family can be forced to raise more than one million rupees (11,700 dollars) to marry their daughter off.

Edhi says that up to 200 babies are left in its 400 cradles nationwide each year and that it handles thousands of requests for adoption by childless couples.

Abortion is prohibited in Pakistan, except when the mother's life is at risk from her pregnancy, but advocates say that legalisation would reduce infanticide and save mothers from potentially fatal back-street terminations.

According to Pakistani law, anyone found to have abandoned an infant can be jailed for seven years, while anyone guilty of secretly burying a child can be imprisoned for two years. Murder is punishable with life imprisonment.

But crimes of infanticide are rarely prosecuted.

"The majority of police stations do not register cases of infanticide, let alone launch investigations into them," said lawyer Abdul Rasheed.

They should be ashamed. Disgusting.

So adultery is punishable by death but killing a newborn will only get you a few years? Is it any wonder what choice will be made?

This is just so sick! Better a thousand abortions than one strangled baby. OMG!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

What the fuck!? WHAT THE FUCK!?

*sobs forever*
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

I don't understand what the parent might feel /think. Ah it's just a girl?
    Do they justify it to themselves somehow?
    **cking monsters.
    Into The Wild Baby

"Kazmi recounts the discovery of the burnt body of a six-day-old infant who had been strangled. Another child was found on the steps of a mosque having been stoned to death on the orders of an extremist imam who has since disappeared, he says."

Fucking monsters is correct! Cripe
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jadoremusic View Post
    I don't understand what the parent might feel /think. Ah it's just a girl?
    Do they justify it to themselves somehow?
    **cking monsters.
    Under the Sharia, females are more "work" for the men, as they have to be looked after by the family until they're married off and be chaperoned everywhere outside (a mahram). This is also according to the Sharia and can't be avoided in such a theocracy. Then there's the matter of family "honour" which is usually blamed on any female's in the family and retribution usually visited upon them (by killing them).

Female infanticide has always been a problem under Islam, and even before in Arab society - that Muhammad, the prophet of Islam even 'revealed' a verse about this issue in the Quran

Quote Originally Posted by Quran 81:7-14
    When the souls are sorted out, (being joined, like with like);
    When the female (infant), buried alive, is questioned -
    For what crime she was killed;
    When the scrolls are laid open;
    When the world on High is unveiled;
    When the Blazing Fire is kindled to fierce heat;
    And when the Garden is brought near;-
    (Then) shall each soul know what it has put forward.
    "when" being Judgement Day, "fire" being Hell, and "Garden" Paradise (Jennah)

So even when you look at their own holy book, you can see that female infanticide is condemned.

So why do they do it? Do they not know their own book? Do they not really believe their own religion?

A*O

Islam hates females, from the cradle to the grave. They are only tolerated because they have a womb and therefore serve a biological/sexual purpose. They are also required to serve in other ways. Sorry but I'm not going to be PC about this. Flame away.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Islam hates females, from the cradle to the grave. They are only tolerated because they have a womb and therefore serve a biological/sexual purpose. They are also required to serve in other ways. Sorry but I'm not going to be PC about this. Flame away.
    I agree with you. I feel very sorry for women born in Islamic countries.

Elite Member

Me too. They are going to start having the problem that China has with the shortage of girls. Especially in a religion where a man is allowed multiple wives. Soon there will be a shortage of girls for their sons to marry.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

makes me heartsick, is there a heaven where all these little girls are well and playing and happy? I can only hope so, but I dont really believe in heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    I agree with you. I feel very sorry for women born in Islamic countries.
    I'm with you and am so thankful I live in Canada.

This makes me so sad and angry. I sit here, looking at my little girl, and I can't imagine how cruel people can be.

My baby is half Persian and her father (my SO) was born in Iran and he has vowed never to let her go there because of the treatment women receive.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ I know right

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information