Thread: Italy's Silvio Berlusconi in prostitution probe

Default Italy's Silvio Berlusconi in prostitution probe

Italy's Berlusconi in prostitution probe - Yahoo! News

ROME Premier Silvio Berlusconi is under investigation in a prostitution case involving a 17-year-old Moroccan girl, a case his lawyers on Friday called "absurd and groundless."

Italy's leading newspaper, Corriere della Sera, reported that the 74-year-old premier is suspected of having sex with the minor and then abusing his power in trying to cover up the encounters with the girl, nicknamed Ruby by the press.

Berlusconi's attorneys, Nicolo Ghedini and Piero Longo, confirmed the investigation hours later, saying probe represented a "very serious interference in the prime minister's private life that has no precedent in the country's judicial history."

They called the case media-driven, and said that the allegations "have already been refuted by all witnesses and people directly involved."

The investigation escalates a long history of accusations of sexual and financial improprieties aimed at Berlusconi, a billionaire businessman who has shaken off the crises and maintained his hold on power.

It comes, however, at a moment of particular vulnerability. The premier has been politically weakened in recent months and a law shielding him from two, unrelated trials in Milan was significantly watered down Thursday by a ruling of Italy's Constitutional Court.

The Ruby case became public months ago when it emerged that Berlusconi had intervened to secure the release from police custody of the girl, who had been held for theft.

Berlusconi said at the time that he had done nothing wrong, and that he had only intervened to help someone in need. The girl said in newspaper interviews that she had been at the premier's villa and that she lied about being over 18. She denied having sex with the premier.

The girl has in the meantime turned 18.

Berlusconi's office said it had no immediate comment. Many of his political allies said the latest probe was the latest attempt to hurt the premier by what they say are left-leaning magistrates. The office of Milan prosecutor Antonio Sangermano said he was not available for comment.

According to Corriere, the prosecutors allege that Berlusconi abused his power when he called Milan police on the night of May 27-28 to secure the release of the girl. The prosecutors believe he did so because he wanted to hide the fact that he had been her client, according to the report, which did not cite sources.

The ANSA news agency said Milan prosecutors on Friday summoned Berlusconi. Reports also said police on Friday searched the offices of two of his aides.

Daniele Capezzone, a spokesman for Berlusconi's party, said the case was politically motivated.

"If someone ... still believes that Silvio Berlusconi can be defeated through judicial means, once again they will be sorely disappointed," he said.

I hate him! I hope that this will make him go away at last, but he tends to dodge these things and just do whatever he wants.
    He makes me want to move away from Italy.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Melyanna View Post
    I hate him! I hope that this will make him go away at last, but he tends to dodge these things and just do whatever he wants.
    He makes me want to move away from Italy.
    Could you explain how this jackass keeps getting elected? Italy is famous for murdering its corrupt politicians in the streets. Why does he have so much popular support STILL?
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    Could you explain how this jackass keeps getting elected? Italy is famous for murdering its corrupt politicians in the streets. Why does he have so much popular support STILL?
    Well, that's a question I keep asking myself, too, and I am not sure about the explanation, but...
    One thing is, he owns the main private tv channels and since when he is prime minister, he also controls all of the public TV channels. This mean that he has a huge level of control on the flow of information.
    Those who don't read foreign press or independent press over the internet can't really have a good idea of what he does.
    Secondly, he owns AC Milan, one of the most popular football teams. It is a sad thing, that makes me weep for humanity, but lots of supporters of AC Milan support him as a politician just because of that.
    Thirdly, he has an amazing PR office and he is rich enough to buy the silence of those that should oppose to him.
    Last thing, I have been meeting lots of upper class snobs lately that seem to think that a world in which good schools and sanitary structurs should only be available for upper class snobs.
    And he has been allied with an anty immigrants party made of racist people and voted by racists.
    They keep saying that immigrants should be "thrown out of the Country, because they commit crimes and stral our jobs".
    The reality is that they never did anything to stop illigal immigration and help integration of foreign persons: they just complain and make sure to say things that appeal the masses.

Elite Member

I knew Berlesconi owns a lot of media, but so much? That's insane! Italy is getting played.

Isn't AC Milan the football club with all the scandals? I thought their status was demoted, they aren't an AList club anymore for such antics as the buying of referees (not that every big club in Europe doesn't.)

If Italians want Italy just for Italians, they need to make more babies. Immigrants are taking the jobs Italians can no longer fill. Doesn't it have one of the lowest birth rates in the world?

I hate Berlusconi for contributing to the Bush lies that led us into Iraq. He's a horrible person.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

^ There were scandals about C Milan, but it has not been demoted. How could they, with all that money?
    Italy is indeed in a miserable condition! I keep thinking about moving away, but I bought my own house last year, I don't want to leave it.

I can see why he would have to pay. That would be his only hope.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I can see why he would have to pay. That would be his only hope.
    Some say he paid 300€ for a blow job and then complained that the girls where starting to demand too much money.
    Last edited by Melyanna; January 23rd, 2011 at 05:41 PM.

A*O

He's looking like Mussolini these days. Same morals too.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Thread Information