Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UN greenlights gay executions across globe

Thumbs down UN greenlights gay executions across globe

Caving to religious extremist groups last week the United Nations stripped references to Gays and Lesbians from a resolution condemning executions. For the past ten years sexual orientation has been included in the reoccurring resolution. This action greenlights proposed legislation in several countries seeking genocide against their Gay and Lesbian citizens.

The International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (IGLHRC) and ARC International are deeply disappointed with yesterday’s vote in the Third Committee of the United Nations General Assembly to remove a reference to sexual orientation from a resolution on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions. The resolution urges States to protect the right to life of all people, including by calling on states to investigate killings based on discriminatory grounds. For the past 10 years, the resolution has included sexual orientation in the list of discriminatory grounds on which killings are often based.

via Governments Remove Sexual Orientation from UN Resolution Condemning Extrajudicial, Summary or Arbitrary Executions.

In the United States christian organizations lobbied U.N. member nations to have Gay and Lesbian protections pulled from the resolution against executions opening the door for a bible based legal system in America similar to sharia law in Iran.

The American Family Association and Liberty Counsel both actively lobby for the jailing and execution of Gays and Lesbians around the globe. Sadly they are now one step closer to instituting their bible based genocide against the Gay and Lesbian community.

Expect oppressive regimes to cross reference visa applications to social networking sites such as Facebook and Gay.com. The information gathered will help target Gay and Lesbian travelers for additional scrutiny, imprisonment and possible execution. The U.S. State Department has shown no interest in helping Gay and Lesbian Americans trapped in countries controlled by religious extremist groups so be warned.

In the United States the victories by christian conservatives in the recent election demonstrate a trend towards adoption of a bible based legal system. The christian controlled Tea Party and their candidates showed a particular disdain for Gay and Lesbian Americans. If they continue to gain power our freedoms are in jeopardy.

Leviticus 20:13 of the christian bible calls for Gays to be put to death. As America spirals towards biblical law we can anticipate Gays and Lesbians being rounded up and marched off to “reorientation” facilities. The christian ministry, Exodus International, has promoted “reorientation” or death for Gays and Lesbians in many countries around the world including Uganda where the heinous practice has been adopted and is a model for implementation in the United States.

United Nations Greenlights Gay Executions - The Gay Manifesto
    Fun. Remind me never to leave my awesome country.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

It boggles the mind that people who are willing to do horrible things to others somehow consider themselves better just because they'd rather fuck the opposite sex.

That's some great logic.

That's really shameful. But I'm not surprised to see which countries voted to have that removed.
    Eta- Here's the list.

In favor of the amendment to remove sexual orientation from the resolution on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions (79):

Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belize, Benin, Botswana, Brunei Dar-Sala, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, China, Comoros, Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Cuba, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and Grenadines, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Republic of Tanzania, Uzbekistan, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe

Opposed to the amendment to remove sexual orientation from the resolution on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions (70):

Andorra, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bhutan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Micronesia (FS), Monaco, Montenegro, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Republic of Moldova, Romania, Samoa, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Timor-Leste, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Venezuela

Abstain (17):

Antigua-Barbuda, Barbados, Belarus, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Colombia, Fiji, Mauritius, Mongolia, Papau New Guinea, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Vanuatu

Absent (26):

Albania, Bolivia, Central African Republic, Chad, Dominica, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Honduras, Kiribati, Kyrgyzstan, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Marshall Island, Mauritania, Nauru, Nicaragua, Palau, Sao Tome Principe, Seychelles, Solomon Islands, Togo, Tonga, Turkey, Turkmenistan
    Last edited by Sarzy; November 21st, 2010 at 12:50 PM.

Silver Member

They don't exactly have the best track record when it comes to human rights.

From reading Sarzy's followup with the actual votes, it's difficult for me to see how anti-gay Christian groups influenced the UN vote.

For example, it looks like most of the countries that voted to remove sexual orientation from the resolution were countries with majority muslim populations (Afghanistan, Pakistan, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Oman, Qatar, Somalia, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan) , or authoritarian regimes (China, Vietnam, Cuba, Zimbabwe).

While countries with high Christian populations, like the United States, Chile, Croatia, Ireland, Italy, Greece, Germany, and France, were opposed to the removal of sexual orientation from the resolution on summary or extrajudicial executions.

So, it would seem that the Christian organizations had very little pull on this issue.

Except in africa, where US evangelical organizations have been helping various backwards dirtball nations construct virulently anti gay legislation

the "kill the gays" bill in uganda being the foremost example
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Except in africa, where US evangelical organizations have been helping various backwards dirtball nations construct virulently anti gay legislation

the "kill the gays" bill in uganda being the foremost example
    I did notice that the Westboro Baptist Church noted (at one point on their web site) that virtually the only country that they approved of was Zimbabwe - nominally Christian, but executing gays right and left. Never mind that Zimbabwe was in total chaos with a 4,000% inflation rate, rampant poverty, disease, and discontent -- at long as they were on top of their gay killing.

Um, WHAT?! This is despicable.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belize, Benin, Botswana, Brunei Dar-Sala, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, China, Comoros, Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Cuba, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and Grenadines, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Republic of Tanzania, Uzbekistan, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe
    So basically all the shitty countries I'll never visit then? They won't get my tourist money (yeah I'd like I'd go to any of these backward places in the first place).

But China and to a lesser extent - Cuba surprise me. You'd think a nation as large as China would be more tolerant towards the gay population.

Some beautiful countries, just dumbass, ignorant people running them

A disgrace!

repulsive intolerant bastards.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    From reading Sarzy's followup with the actual votes, it's difficult for me to see how anti-gay Christian groups influenced the UN vote.

For example, it looks like most of the countries that voted to remove sexual orientation from the resolution were countries with majority muslim populations (Afghanistan, Pakistan, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Oman, Qatar, Somalia, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan) , or authoritarian regimes (China, Vietnam, Cuba, Zimbabwe).

While countries with high Christian populations, like the United States, Chile, Croatia, Ireland, Italy, Greece, Germany, and France, were opposed to the removal of sexual orientation from the resolution on summary or extrajudicial executions.

So, it would seem that the Christian organizations had very little pull on this issue.
    no, it's not about christian organisations. it's about the fact that these countries, despite the fact that some are socially conservative, are more or less democratic (less, in the case of venezuela) and have some form of separation of church and state. believe me, the christian organisations and NGOs are there, lobbying the delegates. as are the delegates from the holy see who luckily only have observer status and can't vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority View Post
    Cuba surprise me
    i posed the same question to a cuban diplomat when the issue of gay rights came up in the human rights council. the cuban regime may be despicable in many ways but when it comes to gay rights, it's actually one of the most progressive places in latin america. gay relationships may not be legally recognised but they are in no way persecuted and sex reassignment surgery is covered by government healthcare.
    basically, cuba votes with these horrible countries because even though they do not share their views when it comes to gay rights, many of them are their political and economic allies and so they have to stand with them. national interests and all that.
    the same goes for china - especially since they've been trying to buy most of africa over the past few years.

realpolitik wins every time.

the ones that surprises me are colombia and venezuela. i can't believe colombia abstained! assholes! i know they've got a right-wing government but they are usually of the moderate, pragmatic sort. and i know for a fact that even though they don't have gay marriage, among their civil servants, including diplomats, same-sex couples are recognised and given the same rights as married diplomats, which makes it a lot easier when moving somewhere on posting.
    as for venezuela - usually they follow cuba, or abstain. i guess for once they voted with their region. i notice nicaragua and bolivia were absent. that's a convenient way to avoid having to pronounce yourself on an issue. and given that ortega sold his soul to the catholic church in order to get elected, and since coming into power has banned even therapeutic abortions and let women die from ectopic pregnancies and other complications, it's easy to guess where nicaragua would have stood had they had the balls to vote but i guess they chose to be absent instead of voting against their entire region (minus cuba).
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm not exactly sure when Cuba changed its policies, but it actually was a pretty tough place for gays to be for a long while:

Fidel Castro takes 'responsibility' for persecution of Cuban gays

September 2, 2010 | 3:04 pm
    Former Cuban President Fidel Castro called years of official persecution of homosexuals under his Communist regime an "injustice." In an interview published this week in a Mexican newspaper, he said he takes responsibility for the repression.
    "If someone is responsible, it is me," Castro told Carmen Lira, editor of the left-leaning daily La Jornada. Here's the second part of the Castro's interview in Spanish. La Plaza reported on the first part here.
    After the Cuban Revolution in 1959, the Communist government arrested gays and sent many to labor or "re-education" camps. Homosexuality is no longer criminalized on the island nation and Castro's niece, Mariela Castro (daughter of current President Raul Castro), is a prominent activist for expanding gay rights in Cuba.
    Numerous books and films have depicted the period of persecution, including the novel Before Night Falls by Reinaldo Arenas, later adapted into a film. Here's a video by the Guardian newspaper on the contemporary gay and transgender culture in Cuba.
    In the interview, Castro said the repression against gays occurred in a tumultuous period while the Communist government was defending itself against "traitors" and the CIA. "But in the end, after all, if someone must assume responsibility, I offer my own," Castro told Lira. "I cannot blame anyone else."
    — Daniel Hernandez in Mexico City
    Photo: Former Cuban President Fidel Castro. Credit: Associated Press

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post

I agree MG. The countries I see are mostly either Muslim or Communist. I have always thought that being gay was an offense punishable by execution according to Sharia Law. I do not see a single dominate Christian country on that list. We have become so politically correct these days that people feel if they just tell the truth they will look like bigots, so they will include Christians in the mix as not to isolate Muslims. Countries with large Christian populations are by no means perfect but when it comes to this particular issue all you need to do is look at this list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information