Thread: Mohammed is now the most popular name for baby boys in the U.K.

Default Mohammed is now the most popular name for baby boys in the U.K.

Mohammed is now the most popular name for baby boys ahead of Jack and Harry | Mail Online

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBAG58aHwOo[/YOUTUBE]

Mohammed has become the most popular name for newborn boys in Britain.

It shot up from third the previous year, overtaking Jack, which had topped the list for the past 14 years but was relegated to third spot.

Olivia topped the list for little girls for the second year in a row, behind Ruby and Chloe.

A total of 7,549 newborns were given 12 variations of the Islamic prophet Mohammed’s name last year, such as Muhammad and Mohammad.

The second most popular boy’s name, Oliver, was given to 7,364 babies.

Harry and Alfie came in fourth and fifth place respectively.

The official list, which covers all births in 2009 in England and Wales, has Mohammed at number 16 but this does not include the many different spellings, which are all ranked separately.

When they are added in, Mohammed zooms all the way up to top spot for the first time.

In order of popularity, the variant spellings used during the year were: Muhammad, Mohammad, Muhammed, Mohamed, Mohamad, Muhamed, Mohammod, Mahamed, Muhamad, Mahammed and Mohmmed.

There are still other possible spellings but these were not used for births in England and Wales in 2009. Regionally, the single spelling of Mohammed came top of the list for the West Midlands.

Since 1999 the number of babies called Mohammed, however spelled, has increased by more than half.

In 1999 the name was given to 4,579 newborns.

Going even further back, the single spelling Mohammed appeared at 73 in the list in 1964 and 87th in 1944.

Some names appeared to have been given a popularity boost by celebrity association.

There were 282 boys called Brooklyn, 78 called Romeo and 73 called Cruz – sharing their names with the sons of David and Victoria Beckham.

The top 100 names lists include six new entries for boys: Aiden, Arthur, Frederick, Jude, Stanley and Austin.

The girls’ list had just three new entries: Heidi, Mya and Sara.

Big risers were Lucas, up 19 places since 2008 to 17th in the boys list. Archie climbed 11 places to 20 while Noah jumped 13 places to 32.

For girls, Maisie is increasingly popular, up 29 places to 34.

However, Emma, which not long ago was among the nation’s favourite names, dropped ten places to become the 41st most common name given to girls.

The figures also revealed the continued resurgence of names popular in the early 20th Century. Evie was the tenth most popular girls name last year, up 157 places since 1999.

Ruby has seen a similar rise in popularity – it was not even in the top 100 in the late 1990s. Its return has been linked to the hit song of the same name by the Kaiser Chiefs and Charlotte Church choosing it for her daughter in 2007.

Overall, the popularity of the most common names has changed little, with the top tens for both boys and girls remaining almost identical.

There were 706,248 children born in England and Wales last year.

Well at least Edward, Jacob and Isabella are no longer in the top 10.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Alfie? Really?

Alfie. yikes.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Lists that rank name popularity are useless unless they give the percentage of babies being given the name. Mohammed could quite well be the most popular because people not naming their boys Mohammed have taken to giving a more diverse selection of names. Given the number of kids with "unique" names of late, I'd wager that that is the case. Also, the Daily Mail just likes to stir up shit especially racial/ethnic. A little over one percent of kids have a name and they make a headline out of it.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

If the name (and variations of) "Mohammed" are reflective of a rise in Britain's muslim population, I'm wondering why a corresponding female name (e.g. - "Fatima", "Aisha") didn't appear somewhere in the female top 10.

Are you really wondering? Mohammed is the name of the Prophet whereas the names of the girls are more diverse.

I agree that Alfie is an awful cutesy name to be saddled with and every second girl seems to be called Jessica.

I like Sophie so much better than Sophia. I have no idea why.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Are you really wondering? Mohammed is the name of the Prophet whereas the names of the girls are more diverse.

I agree that Alfie is an awful cutesy name to be saddled with and every second girl seems to be called Jessica.
    Definitely wondering. Below is a list of about 200 female muslim names. None cracked the top 10.

List of Female Muslim Names and their Meanings

Hi! I'm New Here!

Who cares. When I was growing up John was the favourite name. That means he was Christian? Whatever.

Thread Information