Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife-beating allowed under sharia law, UAE court rules

Default Wife-beating allowed under sharia law, UAE court rules

Judge upholds man's right to 'discipline' spouse as long as 'no marks are left', but says bruises proved he went too far

Islamic sharia law allows a man to "discipline" his wife and children provided that he does not leave physical marks, according to a ruling by the supreme court in the United Arab Emirates.
    The judgment was made in the case of a man who slapped and kicked his daughter and slapped his wife, injuring both slightly. But the federal court in Abu Dhabi, capital of the UAE, also said that their bruises were evidence that the father had abused his legal right.

The case reported today by the Abu Dhabi paper The National, is likely to attract attention because of the large number of foreign expatriates living in the Gulf state, where there are occasional prosecutions of westerners as well as nationals for breaching public morality. Non-Muslims, however, will not appear before a sharia court.
    Generally, the UAE has made progress in promoting women's education, entrepreneurship and political participation. It also has very liberal laws compared with neighbouring Saudi Arabia. It has a civil law jurisdiction though Islamic law is applied to aspects of family law.
    The court upheld the right of the unnamed man from Sharjah one of the seven emirates to beat his wife and children to "discipline" them after he had exhausted two other options: admonition and then abstaining from sleeping with his wife. Scholars differ on what constitutes "beating" but agree it must not be severe.

In the case of the wife, it was the degree of severity that put the man in breach of the law. But his daughter was 23, and therefore too old to be disciplined by her father, the court said. He claimed he did not mean to harm either of them.
    The Sharjah court of first instance fined the father for abuse. The decision was upheld by Sharjah's court of appeals but he appealed against the verdict at the federal supreme court in Abu Dhabi.
    "Although the [law] permits the husband to use his right [to discipline], he has to abide by the limits of this right," wrote chief justice Falah al-Hajeri in a ruling released on Sunday. "If the husband abuses this right to discipline, he cannot be exempted from punishment."

Jihad Hashim Brown, head of research at the Tabah Foundation, said: "It's unlawful in sharia if taken in its entirety to injure one's wife. It's unlawful to insult the dignity of one's wife. That is if we look at the tradition as a whole: the Qur'an, the hadith and writings of Islamic jurists."
    Dr Ahmed al-Kubaisi, head of sharia studies at UAE University and Baghdad University, told the paper that under sharia, beating one's wife was an option to prevent the breakdown of the family. It should be used only as a substitute to resorting to the police. Dr Jassim al-Shamsi, dean of the college of law at UAE University, said love and respect were more important among husbands and wives than any discipline.

Wife-beating allowed under sharia law, UAE court rules | World news | guardian.co.uk

Jesus...so, what happens what a non-Muslim? Is it then illegal to beat your wife?

And seriously, the person is named Jihad???

Actually I hate to admit this, but this article was not nearly as bad as I was expecting. I still have some problems with it, but it is not nearly 'as bad' as I was expecting, ya know?

There is certainly some bad, but surprisingly, there is alot of good(in the article itself, not necessarliy the main thing/title thing).

So as long as no marks are left on your wife, it's an acceptable level of violence.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Islamic sharia law allows a man to "discipline" his wife and children provided that he does not leave physical marks, according to a ruling by the supreme court in the United Arab Emirates.
    Wow, my uncle Jack always made sure to hide all his 'tell-tale signs' when he abused my aunt.What a clever, sharia law-abiding member of.......the Church of England.
    Well looky looky the link has disappeared.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...aria-law-court
    Last edited by Mrs Fawlty; November 13th, 2010 at 04:52 PM. Reason: to show the link has been tampered with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Fawlty View Post
    The original source link is still up.

Court rules on domestic discipline
    "Creepy, like when Tom Cruise laughs." - Bloodhound Gang

"I don't know anyone who likes Justin Bieber." - Seth Rogen

I wonder when the time comes when women can legally "dicipline" their men.
    Into The Wild Baby

I just want to reiterate that, while not agreeing with this, it is not as bad as I expected. *trying to be semi-agreeable to muslim stuff and all here*

Fuck being agreeable to Muslim shit, or christian shit, or jewish shit, or hindu shit, or miscellaneous shit if it involves one person abusing another.

Fuck them, their religion, their shitty backwards-ass culture, their crap music, their stupid outfits, their ugly hair, and their cheap shoes
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    their crap music,
    I object. There's some great music.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Fawlty View Post
    Wow, my uncle Jack always made sure to hide all his 'tell-tale signs' when he abused my aunt.What a clever, sharia law-abiding member of.......the Church of England.
    Well looky looky the link has disappeared.
    Removed for legal reasons: Wife-beating allowed under sharia law, UAE court rules | World news | guardian.co.uk
    WTF?! That seriously pisses me off. What is it with all these EU papers that won't stand behind their controversial Islamic stories?

Sweden and Great Britain seem to be censoring their news...because?
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

I wish they'd state what the "legal reasons" were.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Fuck being agreeable to Muslim shit, or christian shit, or jewish shit, or hindu shit, or miscellaneous shit if it involves one person abusing another.

Fuck them, their religion, their shitty backwards-ass culture, their crap music, their stupid outfits, their ugly hair, and their cheap shoes
    I said 'semi' agreeable. just clarifying since your comment immediately followed mine. 'Not as bad as expected' does not mean 'not bad at all'.

Bah, Jihad on them all!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Actually I hate to admit this, but this article was not nearly as bad as I was expecting. I still have some problems with it, but it is not nearly 'as bad' as I was expecting, ya know?

There is certainly some bad, but surprisingly, there is alot of good(in the article itself, not necessarliy the main thing/title thing).

I understand what you mean, and at first, I had the same reaction, as I was expecting a lot worse judging from the title of the thread.
    However, abusing someone, though not "hard" enough as to leave marks is still too bad. What do we make of psychological abuse then? Doesn't leave marks ... is it not that bad then?
    Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information