Thread: Fucktards BP behind release of terrorist Abdel Baset al-Megrahi

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Fucktards BP behind release of terrorist Abdel Baset al-Megrahi

BP Lobbied Brits Ahead of Lockerbie Bomber Release

Theunis Bates Contributor
    AOL News
    LONDON (July 15) -- Amid a new U.S. furor over trading a terrorist for commercial considerations, BP confirmed today that it had lobbied the British government in late 2007 over a prisoner transfer agreement with Libya prior to the release of Lockerbie bomber Abdel Baset al-Megrahi.

The London-based petroleum giant said it had voiced concerns that the slow pace of negotiations risked impeding an offshore drilling deal with Moammar Gadhafi's North African country.

AFP / Getty Images
    Abdelbaset Ali Mohmet al-Megrahi, convicted in the 1988 bombing of a Pan Am airliner over Lockerbie, was released from a Scottish prison jail last August because a doctor said he was dying of cancer.

"BP told the U.K. government that we were concerned about the slow progress that was being made in concluding a Prisoner Transfer Agreement with Libya," BP said in a statement. "We were aware that this could have a negative impact on U.K. commercial interests, including the ratification by the Libyan government of BP's exploration agreement."

The company's statement appears to have been prompted by Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton's announcement on Tuesday that she was considering a request by four senators to investigate whether BP pushed for last year's release of Megrahi in exchange for lucrative drilling concessions off the Libyan coast.

"Evidence in the Deepwater Horizon disaster seems to suggest that BP would put profit ahead of people -- its attention to safety was negligible and it routinely underestimated the amount of oil gushing into the Gulf," read a letter sent to Clinton by Sens. Kirsten Gillibrand and Charles Schumer of New York, and Frank Lautenberg and Robert Menendez of New Jersey. "The question we now have to answer is, was this corporation willing to trade justice in the murder of 270 innocent people for oil profits?"

Schumer called on the company to freeze its projects in Libya, pending an investigation. "If BP is truly dealing in good faith and has nothing to hide, it should cooperate with such an investigation," he said Tuesday at a news conference. "The companies should not be allowed to profit on this deal if it was facilitated at the expense of the victims of terrorism."

Megrahi, a former Libyan intelligence agent, is the only person ever sentenced in connection with the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103, which exploded over the small Scottish town of Lockerbie in December 1988. He was convicted in 2001 of 270 counts of murder for masterminding the attack. But last August, the Scottish government released him from jail on compassionate grounds, after being told by doctors that his prostate cancer was likely to result in his death within three months. That decision angered the U.S. and many relatives of those killed in the attack, who argued Megrahi should end his days in prison.

Almost a year later, Megrahi, 57, is still alive. And last week, the British doctor who originally diagnosed the bomber admitted Megrahi might survive for another decade.

BP insists that it never raised the actual subject of the Libyan intelligence officer's fate while lobbying the government. "The decision to release al-Megrahi in August 2009 was taken by the Scottish government," the company said. "It is not for BP to comment on the decision of the Scottish government. BP was not involved in any such discussions about the release of al-Megrahi."

At the heart of this controversy is a $900 million exploration deal BP provisionally agreed with Libya in May 2007, the same month that Britain and Libya opened talks on a Prisoner Transfer Agreement. During initial negotiations over the transfer pact, Britain's then-Justice Minister Jack Straw refused to sign on to the deal if it included Megrahi. At the same time, Libya was stalling and refusing to ratify its multimillion-dollar deal with BP.

Then in December 2007, according to The Sunday Times, Straw wrote to Kenny MacAskill -- his counterpart in Scotland, who set the Libyan free last August -- and said the government was abandoning its attempt to exclude Megrahi from the prisoner agreement, citing the national interest. Within six weeks of this about face, Libya had authorized the BP deal.

It later emerged that Straw had changed his mind following lobbying from the petroleum industry, especially BP. He took two phone calls from Sir Mark Allen, a former MI6 agent, then working for BP as a consultant, on Oct. 15 and Nov. 9, 2007.

In an interview with the Daily Telegraph last September, Straw admitted that trade and BP were key considerations when the government decided to include Megrahi in the prisoner agreement. "Yes, [it was] a very big part of that. I'm unapologetic about that ... Libya was a rogue state," he said. "We wanted to bring it back into the fold. And yes, that included trade because trade is an essential part of it and subsequently there was the BP deal."

can I loathe them anymore than I already do?

OMG
    Coffee is my happy drug

This was reported back when the deal was made. A year later the US media catches up to the rest of the worl on the story.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^ um no a year later Hilary Clinton wants to open the case because the guy didn't die like he was supposed to - as the doctor claimed.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    ^^ um no a year later Hilary Clinton wants to open the case because the guy didn't die like he was supposed to - as the doctor claimed.

Did you read my post before you replied with that little 'um no'?

What I said was the story was reported last year that BP had been granted a deal in exchange for this guy's freedom. It's not new news.

Why didn't the US investigate then? The story was out there. BP has now confirmed that they did do it. It's a dog and pony show now, because BP is in the news.

This is from April 2009- all about the BP deal:

Lockerbie bomber 'set free for oil'

The British government decided it was “in the overwhelming interests of the United Kingdom” to make Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi, the Lockerbie bomber, eligible for return to Libya, leaked ministerial letters reveal.

Gordon Brown’s government made the decision after discussions between Libya and BP over a multi-million-pound oil exploration deal had hit difficulties. These were resolved soon afterwards.

The letters were sent two years ago by Jack Straw, the justice secretary, to Kenny MacAskill, his counterpart in Scotland, who has been widely criticised for taking the formal decision to permit Megrahi’s release.

The correspondence makes it plain that the key decision to include Megrahi in a deal with Libya to allow prisoners to return home was, in fact, taken in London for British national interests.

Edward Davey, the Liberal Democrat foreign affairs spokesman, said: “This is the strongest evidence yet that the British government has been involved for a long time in talks over al-Megrahi in which commercial considerations have been central to their thinking.”

Two letters dated five months apart show that Straw initially intended to exclude Megrahi from a prisoner transfer agreement with Colonel Muammar Gadaffi, under which British and Libyan prisoners could serve out their sentences in their home country.

In a letter dated July 26, 2007, Straw said he favoured an option to leave out Megrahi by stipulating that any prisoners convicted before a specified date would not be considered for transfer.

Downing Street had also said Megrahi would not be included under the agreement.

Straw then switched his position as Libya used its deal with BP as a bargaining chip to insist the Lockerbie bomber was included.

The exploration deal for oil and gas, potentially worth up to 15 billion, was announced in May 2007. Six months later the agreement was still waiting to be ratified.

On December 19, 2007, Straw wrote to MacAskill announcing that the UK government was abandoning its attempt to exclude Megrahi from the prisoner transfer agreement, citing the national interest.

In a letter leaked by a Whitehall source, he wrote: “I had previously accepted the importance of the al-Megrahi issue to Scotland and said I would try to get an exclusion for him on the face of the agreement. I have not been able to secure an explicit exclusion.

“The wider negotiations with the Libyans are reaching a critical stage and, in view of the overwhelming interests for the United Kingdom, I have agreed that in this instance the [prisoner transfer agreement] should be in the standard form and not mention any individual.”

Within six weeks of the government climbdown, Libya had ratified the BP deal. The prisoner transfer agreement was finalised in May this year, leading to Libya formally applying for Megrahi to be transferred to its custody.

Saif Gadaffi, the colonel’s son, has insisted that negotiation over the release of Megrahi was linked with the BP oil deal: “The fight to get the [transfer] agreement lasted a long time and was very political, but I want to make clear that we didn’t mention Mr Megrahi.

“At all times we talked about the [prisoner transfer agreement]. It was obvious we were talking about him. We all knew that was what we were talking about.

“People should not get angry because we were talking about commerce or oil. We signed an oil deal at the same time. The commerce and oil deals were all with the [prisoner transfer agreement].”

His account is confirmed by other sources. Sir Richard Dalton, a former British ambassador to Libya and a board member of the Libyan British Business Council, said: “Nobody doubted Libya wanted BP and BP was confident its commitment would go through. But the timing of the final authority to spend real money was dependent on politics.”

Bob Monetti of New Jersey, whose son Rick was among the victims of the 1988 bombing, said: “It’s always been about business.”

BP denied that political factors were involved in the deal’s ratification or that it had stalled during negotiations over the prisoner transfer talks.

A Ministry of Justice spokesman denied there had been a U-turn, but said trade considerations had been a factor in negotiating the prisoner exchange deal. He said Straw had unsuccessfully tried to accommodate the wish of the Scottish government to exclude Megrahi from agreement.

The spokesman claimed the deal was ultimately “academic” because Megrahi had been released on compassionate grounds: “The negotiations on the [transfer agreement] were part of wider negotiations aimed at the normalisation of relations with Libya, which included a range of areas, including trade.

“The exclusion or inclusion of Megrahi would not serve any practical purpose because the Scottish executive always had a veto on whether to transfer him.”

A spokesman for Lord Mandelson said he had not changed his position that the release of Megrahi was not linked to trade deals.

Lockerbie bomber 'set free for oil' - Times Online
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; July 16th, 2010 at 12:04 PM.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Did you read my post before you replied with that little 'um no'?

um no

I agree it's all posturing, they are reporting it today like it's news and Hilary is jumping on it.

I heard someone involved with the investigation on the radio today. They specifically stated that a) there wasn't enough evidence to find him guilty & it was very likely to be overturned at appeal b) that there is evidence that al-Megrahi didn't even KNOW about the bomb and c) that all the Americans trampling over all the evidence, interfering in the investigation, etc completely screwed up any hope of ever finding out who really did it.

Oh, plus the US has been trading with Libya for about 4 years now so maybe mrs clinton would like to investigate that first? Thought not.
    Free Charmed.

^^^
    the US trades with libya, saudi arabia, and a host of other iffy regimes that harbour terrorists. they're really not in a position to be pointing fingers.
    another thing: yes, bp are a giant, evil oil company. and yes, they lobbied for this dude's release. but lobbying isn't a crime. the uk government didn't have to do what bp wanted, they chose to.
    not defending bp here but i think in times of mass hysteria and after something major has happened like the oil spill, people love a good scapegoat and they forget that things like this don't happen in a vacuum and evil corporations don't work alone, they work hand in hand with governments.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I agree Sput, it would be completely nave to think that BP operates in a vacuum.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    the US trades with libya, saudi arabia, and a host of other iffy regimes that harbour terrorists. they're really not in a position to be pointing fingers.
    another thing: yes, bp are a giant, evil oil company. and yes, they lobbied for this dude's release. but lobbying isn't a crime. the uk government didn't have to do what bp wanted, they chose to.
    not defending bp here but i think in times of mass hysteria and after something major has happened like the oil spill, people love a good scapegoat and they forget that things like this don't happen in a vacuum and evil corporations don't work alone, they work hand in hand with governments.
    Exactly. Thank you. I find the whole deal pretty repulsive, basically. No big surprise, though.

However, I can't say it ups BP's charm factor for me right now.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Charm factor???? Really???

If you're after "charm" you really need to start looking at living off grid - look at what the big companies do - asset strip & throw people out of jobs even after assurances that they won't (kraft); interfering with the water table causing enviromental issues (cocacola); killing thousands of people and disputing liability so that 20yrs it's still going on? (that'll be union carbine The Guardian ) there are also plenty of drugs that the FDA don't approve for home use & yet massively push on other (including UK) markets without adequate testing.
    Charm? There is very little of it in multinational companies.
    Free Charmed.

Default White House backed release of Lockerbie bomber Abdel Baset al-Megrahi

THE US government secretly advised Scottish ministers it would be "far preferable" to free the Lockerbie bomber than jail him in Libya.

Correspondence obtained by The Sunday Times reveals the Obama administration considered compassionate release more palatable than locking up Abdel Baset al-Megrahi in a Libyan prison.

The intervention, which has angered US relatives of those who died in the attack, was made by Richard LeBaron, deputy head of the US embassy in London, a week before Megrahi was freed in August last year on grounds that he had terminal cancer.

The document, acquired by a well-placed US source, threatens to undermine US President Barack Obama's claim last week that all Americans were "surprised, disappointed and angry" to learn of Megrahi's release.

Scottish ministers viewed the level of US resistance to compassionate release as "half-hearted" and a sign it would be accepted.

The US has tried to keep the letter secret, refusing to give permission to the Scottish authorities to publish it on the grounds it would prevent future "frank and open communications" with other governments.

In the letter, sent on August 12 last year to Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond and justice officials, Mr LeBaron wrote that the US wanted Megrahi to remain imprisoned in view of the nature of the crime.

The note added: "Nevertheless, if Scottish authorities come to the conclusion that Megrahi must be released from Scottish custody, the US position is that conditional release on compassionate grounds would be a far preferable alternative to prisoner transfer, which we strongly oppose."

Mr LeBaron added that freeing the bomber and making him live in Scotland "would mitigate a number of the strong concerns we have expressed with regard to Megrahi's release".

The US administration lobbied the Scottish government more strongly against sending Megrahi home, under a prisoner transfer agreement signed by the British and Libyan governments, in a deal now known to have been linked to a pound stg. 550 million oil contract for BP.

It claimed this would flout a decade-old agreement between Britain and the US that anyone convicted of the bombing would serve their sentence in a Scottish prison. Megrahi was released by Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill on the grounds that he had three months to live, making his sentence effectively spent.

The US Senate foreign relations committee launched a probe after The Sunday Times revealed this month that Megrahi's doctors thought he could live for another decade.

A source close to the Senate inquiry said: "The (LeBaron) letter is embarrassing for the US because it shows they were much less opposed to compassionate release than prisoner transfer."

Last week, a succession of British politicians - including Mr MacAskill, Mr Salmond and former justice secretary Jack Straw - delivered a diplomatic snub to the senators by refusing to fly across the Atlantic to answer questions at the Senate's hearing on Thursday (US time) about their role in Megrahi's release.

Despite the controversy over the Gulf of Mexico oil spill and Megrahi's release, it emerged over the weekend that BP is planning deep-water drilling off Libya.

And BP boss Tony Hayward is poised to quit this week when the company announces its half-year results, London's Sunday Telegraph reported.

White House backed release of Lockerbie bomber Abdel Baset al-Megrahi | The Australian

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Charm factor???? Really???

If you're after "charm" you really need to start looking at living off grid - look at what the big companies do - asset strip & throw people out of jobs even after assurances that they won't (kraft); interfering with the water table causing enviromental issues (cocacola); killing thousands of people and disputing liability so that 20yrs it's still going on? (that'll be union carbine The Guardian ) there are also plenty of drugs that the FDA don't approve for home use & yet massively push on other (including UK) markets without adequate testing.
    Charm? There is very little of it in multinational companies.
    The sarcasm in my post wasn't detectable? I know all about the evils of huge corporations already eh. I could probably out-rant you on the subject. Believe it or not some of us Americans don't like or trust them either.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Sorry! The gullibility of some posters on here lapping everything up the media sends them astounds me, plus their "pride" in their ignorance *shudder*; so, yeah, it was lost on me!

Great find WCG! There is all sorts of crap going on in the background, not least that the poor bastard didn't actually do it - yep there's evidence & everything.
    He was a pawn in a larger game.
    Free Charmed.

Thread Information