Thread: Thousands demonstrate against Argentina plans to legalise same-sex marriage

Default Thousands demonstrate against Argentina plans to legalise same-sex marriage

Supporters of measure also take to streets to stage rallies in Buenos Aires and other cities

Alejandro Freyre (left) and Jose Maria Di Bello had their marriage blocked in Buenos Aires in December. Photograph: Juan Mabromata/AFP/Getty Images

Thousands of demonstrators today gathered outside Argentina's congress in the capital, Buenos Aires, to protest against a proposal to legalise same-sex marriage.
    Supporters of the measure also took to the streets in loud rallies in the city and across the country.
    The House of Deputies has approved same-sex marriage and sent the legislation to the senate for consideration today.
    The legislation – which would open the way to adoptions by same-sex couples – has been challenged by the Roman Catholic church and other religious groups.
    The main slogan for the anti-legislation protest was: "Children have a right to a mother and a father".
    The Argentine president, Cristina Fernández, has promised not to veto the measure if it reaches her desk.
    Argentina remains mainly Catholic, but hostility to homosexuals has waned in the past decade – a trend mirrored across Latin America.
    Many countries permit civil unions and some, including Uruguay, allow adoptions.

Mexico City – though not the rest of Mexico – allows gay marriage, but Argentina would be the first country in Latin America to grant gay men and lesbians the same rights as heterosexuals.
    Buenos Aires is a gay-friendly capital with bars, restaurants and hotels catering to the pink pound.
    Five gay and lesbian couples recently married after local judges authorised the ceremonies, claiming the constitution supported freedom of choice for couples.
    Other judges overturned some of those marriages as illegal, leaving
    the issue in limbo until the senate votes.

Thousands demonstrate against Argentina plans to legalise same-sex marriage | World news | The Guardian

I just don't understand why anyone would object to these equal rights in this day and age. I mean, who has the time to be all mad about something like this? Mind your own business and quit judging.
    *rants over*

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Doesn't matter, it passed and now it's law. Fuck you, bigots.

Now Argentina is ahead of the US. The "Land of the free" is quickly becoming a joke.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

Now Argentina is ahead of the US. The "Land of the free" is quickly becoming a joke.
    My thoughts as well. Shit. *also pisses me off*
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

Try living in the middle of bible thumping conservative hell. If you think these beliefs only effect the minorities you are wrong. Some of us straight white folk have had about all we can stand of these morons. Worse is when they are your in-laws. Who by the way told me I was going to hell because I'm not Baptist. That is no joke!

One of my best friends is a lesbian and married her partner in Vermont she now lives on the west coast. To this day her parents still do not know she and her partner are married. This is sad.

go argentina!
    i'm also not that surprised they did this ahead of the US or any other country in latin america.
    for all their economic problems, you go to argentina and this isn't some backwards third world country which is what i assume a lot of people imagine when they think of it. and especially not buenos aires. that city is up there with pretty much any european capital in terms of beauty, culture and sophistication. and argentina has a large middle class which is educated and pretty forward thinking.
    uruguay has civil unions and gay adoptions, i'm guessing they'll be next to legalise gay marriage.
    mexico will be more difficult. mexico city is one thing, the rest of the country is another. the church's influence is still too great.
    but i wouldn't be surprised if colombia were one of the next countries to follow in argentina's footsteps.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    go argentina!
    i'm also not that surprised they did this ahead of the US or any other country in latin america.
    for all their economic problems, you go to argentina and this isn't some backwards third world country which is what i assume a lot of people imagine when they think of it. and especially not buenos aires. that city is up there with pretty much any european capital in terms of beauty, culture and sophistication. and argentina has a large middle class which is educated and pretty forward thinking.
    uruguay has civil unions and gay adoptions, i'm guessing they'll be next to legalise gay marriage.
    mexico will be more difficult. mexico city is one thing, the rest of the country is another. the church's influence is still too great.
    but i wouldn't be surprised if colombia were one of the next countries to follow in argentina's footsteps.
    I am glad you mentioned Uruguay-they have always been fairly progressive..

Too bad they have economically had such a hard time since WW2-both were really advanced for the time. Argentina's economy boomed during the Second
    World War-behind the US, Argentina actually benefitted the most from the war.

I hope both of these nations continue to improve..especially after what Argentina went through in the 70's. Ever see that movie The Official Story-I think that is what is was.

Go Argentina politicians with balls!

America..well...small tiny balls right now...
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

"Children have a right to a mother and a father"
    What about single parents?

Also, how do gay couples deny children the right to have a mother and a father?

And who says a mother should always be female and a father always male?

Thread Information