Thread: Julia Gillard becomes Australia's first female Prime Minister after leadership spill

Default Julia Gillard becomes Australia's first female Prime Minister after leadership spill

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/opinion/julia-gillards-ascension-fulfils-feminist-dream/story-e6frg73f-1225883653814

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asia_pacific/10393918.stm

http://www.mamamia.com.au/weblog/2010/06/julia-gillard-australias-first-female-pm.html

Big day for Australian politics. A major first.

Bit of a gamble for an incumbent government whose approval was falling in the polls... remains to be seen if the gamble pays off. I'm a Gillard fan so I'm happy, albeit slightly perturbed at the sheer volume of responses in the Twitter and talkback radio world that show ZERO understanding of Australia's Westminster parliamentary system - morons complaining "hey, but we elected Rudd, not Gillard!!"

No. Australia elected a majority of Labor members in the House of Representatives at the last election, meaning that the ALP formed government. The leader of the governing party is Prime Minister and that's a choice made by the party, not the people. We don't directly elect our head of government here.

A*O

She's already backflipped on the mining tax LOL. She may look humble and cute but she's utterly ruthless and I wouldn't trust her not to stuff up like Kevin did. After all, she was his deputy who endorsed and supported all his disastrous policies she's now distancing herself from.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I do not understand why anyone is surprised when a politician backflips. It's irritating, but it's the nature of the game.

i can't believe people are that stupid and don't know how their system works. don't they teach that in aussie schools?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yes*, but people get confused with US populist politics and voting for a president compared to the UK style system we have, where you vote for a party.

Mainly because a lot of modern politics focuses on the leaders and often people will vote for their local representative of the party whose leader they like the best - ergo, voting for the leader by proxy.

* yes to both things - yes, the basics of civics are taught in schools (but no where near enough!) and yes, many Australians are that dumb and don't understand how their electoral system works.

Quote Originally Posted by Sassiness View Post
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/opinion/julia-gillards-ascension-fulfils-feminist-dream/story-e6frg73f-1225883653814

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asia_pacific/10393918.stm

http://www.mamamia.com.au/weblog/2010/06/julia-gillard-australias-first-female-pm.html

Big day for Australian politics. A major first.

Bit of a gamble for an incumbent government whose approval was falling in the polls... remains to be seen if the gamble pays off. I'm a Gillard fan so I'm happy, albeit slightly perturbed at the sheer volume of responses in the Twitter and talkback radio world that show ZERO understanding of Australia's Westminster parliamentary system - morons complaining "hey, but we elected Rudd, not Gillard!!"

No. Australia elected a majority of Labor members in the House of Representatives at the last election, meaning that the ALP formed government. The leader of the governing party is Prime Minister and that's a choice made by the party, not the people. We don't directly elect our head of government here.

Yep, they fail to realise we elect the party not the person.

Well, she's already stopped the mining ad. It's too soon to judge her, let's see how she performs.

yep we love our fugly PM's

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    She's already backflipped on the mining tax LOL. She may look humble and cute but she's utterly ruthless and I wouldn't trust her not to stuff up like Kevin did. After all, she was his deputy who endorsed and supported all his disastrous policies she's now distancing herself from.
    This.

Thread Information