Thread: Rape-aXe Antirape Condoms to Be Handed Out at World Cup

Default Rape-aXe Antirape Condoms to Be Handed Out at World Cup

Welcome to the World Cup; here's your spiked condom. At the soccer tourney in South Africa starting in June, the inventor of the Rape-aXe antirape system (formerly known as Rapex) plans to give away 30,000 of the condoms for free.

Dr. Sonnet Ehlers came up with the concept for Rape-aXe a latex sheath with "razor-sharp barbs" after hearing a sexual assault victim say "if only it had teeth down there." A noble notion, but in reality, Rape-aXe sounds sort of scary, not to mention misguided:
    The device is worn in her vagina like a tampon. When the attacker attempts vaginal penetration the barbs attach themselves to the penis, causing great discomfort. The device must be surgically removed, which will result in the positive identification of the attacker and subsequent arrest.
    Better identification and prosecution of sexual attackers is certainly an issue that needs addressing, but is Rape-aXe the answer? Given that it's being launched in South Africa, which historically has one of the highest incidences of rape in the world, Rape-aXe could be read as a desperate measure or a deleterious gimmick. Here's why.
    As Lara Williams writes in today's Guardian, "Advocating placing a foreign object inside your body as a matter of course places the prevention of rape, once again, squarely with women." Given that women are often held accountable for rape, even by fellow women, a victim wearing this device could be branded with the dreaded "she was asking for it."
    Rape-aXe can thwart an attack and physically punish the criminal, but how would a woman know she needs to be wearing one? I'd rather see more preventative and educational measures, for both men and women, aimed at stopping sexual assault in the first place. It will be interesting to see what kind of reaction the Rape-aXe handouts prompt at the World Cup, but until then, tell me what you think.

Rape-aXe Antirape Condoms to Be Handed Out at World Cup

I actually think this is a decent idea in concept... but I'm not sure I'd stick anything in my vajayjay that has barbs. I need to see how this thing actually works.

Quote Originally Posted by burnt_toast View Post
    I actually think this is a decent idea in concept... but I'm not sure I'd stick anything in my vajayjay that has barbs. I need to see how this thing actually works.
    I guess it's supposed to be like a condom worn internally.

*nsfw*

The inventor, Sonnet Ehlers, with her anti-rape condom Rape-aXe

http://africavisiononline.com/files/...pe-RapeaXe.jpg
    Rock the fuck on!

Elite Member

A way to deter teenage pregnancy has been found! I wonder how many bible thumpers will attempt to get this for their teenage daughters?

Yes, once again it is left up to the female to deter sexual assault, like everything else regarding sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post

Yes, once again it is left up to the female to deter sexual assault, like everything else regarding sex.
    i get what you're saying but unless they find a magical way to stop men from raping women, how do you suggest we go about it?

as for the anti-rape 'condom', i think this has been discussed before and while i'm sure it could be effective in stopping some rapes, it might also cause the rapist to turn really violent and beat or kill a woman instead of just raping her. and if it catches on, it might also lead to men raping women anally instead, which might actually be worse.
    Last edited by sputnik; May 16th, 2010 at 01:24 AM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    as for the anti-rape 'condom', i think this has been discussed before and while i'm sure it could be effective in stopping more rapes, it might also cause the rapist to turn really violent and beat or kill a woman instead of just raping her. and if it catches on, it might also lead to men raping women anally instead, which might actually be worse.
    I had not considered that. Thanks!

Interesting device but shouldn't the sharp edges point the other way in order to obstruct penetration?

^^^
    no, the idea is the penis goes in, gets stuck with the barbs so the guy pulls out, causing the condom to get stuck to the penis. and supposedly it can't be removed unless the guy goes to the hospital or a doctor.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thanks for the clearer pic of the device.

I still think this is great; however, I agree with the other poster that said it could take a rape and turn it quickly into a violent physical assault ... also, if the woman can remove it easily then so could the rapist ... and yes, anal rape might just be worse...

Regarding it being the woman's responsibility to guard against sexual assault, while I think it is unfair that it is the case, it is. Our safety is always our own responsibility both for men and women. It's never a woman's fault that she is raped, but taking protective and smart deterrent action is never a bad idea ... it might actually be a good one. Men have been raping women since well before the written word ... I don't think anyone has suggested that we halt all education on the matter now that there is a vaginal weapon to be used.

I can just see it now. Thousands of drunken World Cup revelers thinking it would be hilarious to test the free condom end up clogging emergency rooms.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    I can just see it now. Thousands of drunken World Cup revelers thinking it would be hilarious to test the free condom end up clogging emergency rooms.
    As funny as that sounds, it's actually not unlikely.

I decided against wearing one when I lived in South Africa. I heard too many accounts of women being beaten to death or raped anally. Besides, it happens often that the rapists attack in groups. You can only fight off one guy with the Rapex. His friends are bound to take revenge.

Arm yourself, that's all you can do. Don't expect the police or bystanders to help you.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Thread Information