Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: British Prime minister Resigns

Default British Prime minister Resigns

London, England (CNN) -- The UK prime minister announced his resignation with immediate effect Tuesday paving the way for his successor after last week's inconclusive general election. Gordon Brown said: "My resignation as leader of the Labour Party will take effect immediately." He announced his resignation outside 10 Downing Street -- the prime ministerial residence - before being driven to an audience with the Queen at Buckingham Palace. David Cameron's Conservative party won the largest number of seats, but not enough to let them govern on their own. Brown's Labour Party came in second, and the Liberal Democrats third. Nick Clegg's Liberal Democrats first started talks with the Conservatives, then began meetings with Labour. Brown dramatically announced Monday afternoon he would step down later inthe year, a move seen as clearing the way for a potential Labour-Liberal Democrat alliance. But talks between the two ended just after lunch Tuesday, with no word on the outcome or when the talks might resume.

A senior Labour party politician told CNN Tuesday that the party was right to have talked to Clegg's party.
    But Labour should now go into opposition, former Lord Chancellor Charles Falconer said. Labour has been in power for 13 years.
    Shortly after the Labour-Lib Dem talks ended, Liberal Democrat negotiators entered a meeting with the Conservative Party.
    "We believe very strongly that there should be a government with a strong and secure majority in the House of Commons, and of course with an elected prime minister," Conservative negotiator William Hague said as he entered the meeting. "We remain very firmly of that view. We set out our proposals to achieve that yesterday, and we have come here to hear the Liberal Democrats' response."

Labour negotiator and Cabinet member Ed Balls told Sky News before Tuesday's talks that the two parties had areas of agreement and disagreement, "but also, the country needs a stable government, and that's what we've got to see if we can achieve."
    As he left his home Tuesday before the talks, Clegg said he was hoping to "clear up everything" soon. "I'm as impatient as anybody else to get on with this, to resolve matters one way or another," Clegg said. Over the weekend and again on Monday, the Liberal Democrats held talks with the Conservatives, who received the most votes in last Thursday's election but not enough to form a majority. One possibility is a coalition between the Liberal Democrats and the Conservatives, which would give the latter the majority they need in the House of Commons. The parties remain far apart on key policies, however. Conservative leader Cameron said Tuesday morning he had made a "very open, very reasonable offer" to the Liberal Democrats during the discussions and that it was now "decision time" for Clegg's party. "I hope they make the right decision," Cameron said outside his London home.
    Brown announced Monday he was stepping down as head of the Labour Party, which effectively means he is leaving the post of prime minister, but it won't happen right away. He said he hoped a new leader would be in place by the next party conference, scheduled for September.

Top Labour party members declined to speculate Tuesday on Brown's replacement. "No candidates will be declaring anything until the future government has been sorted out, either a Conservative-Liberal government or a Labour-Liberal government," Foreign Secretary David Miliband said outside his home Tuesday. "I think it's completely not the moment for that at all," Balls said. "There'll be plenty of time for those kind of things in weeks and weeks' time, but not now."
    "I'll probably just end up in some seedy bar with some seedy blonde"-some random Englishman

i know it won't happen but i was hoping for a lab-lib coalition. anything to keep that twat cameron and the tories out of power.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I know/understand very little about English politics.

Anyone care to explain it to someone who (ashamedly) can no longer remember anything about parliamentary systems?
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

^^Too late. Cameron is entering the Palace even as I type this. I don't like Brown at all, but then I'm not terribly keen on Tories either. I don't know what to think about any of this. I would have taken Clegg but I don't think the country would have taken to him.

**eta: We posted at the same time, Soj. Essentially three main parties were in contention and although the Lib Dems probably didn't have a shot in hell there was some speculation that they could steal a lot of Labour votes. They did ok but the Conservatives (Tories) got the most, with Labour second, but at the end of the day no one got enough to secure a parliamentary majority, thus a hung parliament and the last however many days of horse-trading of votes with Nick Clegg (Lib-Dems) who cannot stand Gordon Brown, although his party leans more to the left than the right. In addition, the Lib Dems made proportional representation a cornerstone of their policy and the Tories are absolutely against it because if it came to pass the Tories would probably be shut out for all eternity. Now the speculation is what sort of deal Cameron (Tories) made with Clegg in order to get those much needed seats. They're both public school boys so it probably isn't a stretch to use your filthy imagination when thinking about what it was.
    Seriously, it was some cabinet seats for the Lib Dems and the promise to look at proportional representation, which will never happen.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Let them rotate. It's democracy. New Labor did as much damage as the Tories. If not worse.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Idk about UK politics either. Was Browns term up anyway???

OR,

did he just chooses to step down in the middle of it?
    "I'll probably just end up in some seedy bar with some seedy blonde"-some random Englishman

Shhh, they just had elex - highly publicized.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

He had to call an election by autumn and called it a few weeks ago. He could have stayed on eternally if the voters had wanted him.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Cameron is now the new Prime Minister. *sigh*

Oh my god, watching the news channels pan over London following Brown's car, then Cameron's car, then outside Clegg's house, which is in an area I know very well, is making me sad, sad, sad! Someone get me job in London, now. I will work for food.

--Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    Cameron is now the new Prime Minister. *sigh*
    boooooooo
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I know, it ain't pretty. But at least the Brits have a government now. If there's one thing we don't need in Europe right now, it's more instability. Watch the sharks withdraw their bets.
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i know it won't happen but i was hoping for a lab-lib coalition. anything to keep that twat cameron and the tories out of power.
    Unfortunately even with the scots, Welsh Irish& all the independents it didn't give them a big enough majority to call a Govt. Boo!

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    I know/understand very little about English politics.

Anyone care to explain it to someone who (ashamedly) can no longer remember anything about parliamentary systems?
    Does this help? It might help if you have insommnia, but really isn't that interesting... They're all lying cheating bastards Parliament of the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    Idk about UK politics either. Was Browns term up anyway???

OR,

did he just chooses to step down in the middle of it?
    Let me guess - you didn't even read the first lines of the article you posted? WOW!
    Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post

London, England (CNN) -- The UK prime minister announced his resignation with immediate effect Tuesday paving the way for his successor after last week's inconclusive general election. Gordon Brown said: "My resignation as leader of the Labour Party will take effect immediately." He announced his resignation outside 10 Downing Street -- the prime ministerial residence - before being driven to an audience with the Queen at Buckingham Palace. David Cameron's Conservative party won the largest number of seats, but not enough to let them govern on their own.
    Free Charmed.

from a friend's facebook page, pretty much says it all:
    -Lame duck prime minister shackled to a tart in tart's clothing-

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

MAN THATS TOO BAD, i liked his name, sounded so fake and like out of a movie; Gordon Brown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information