Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iceland: the world's most feminist country

Default Iceland: the world's most feminist country

Iceland has just banned all strip clubs. Perhaps it's down to the lesbian prime minister, but this may just be the most female-friendly country on the planet

Johanna Sigurdardottir, prime minister of Iceland. Photograph: Bob Strong/REUTERS

Iceland is fast becoming a world-leader in feminism. A country with a tiny population of 320,000, it is on the brink of achieving what many considered to be impossible: closing down its sex industry.
    While activists in Britain battle on in an attempt to regulate lapdance clubs – the number of which has been growing at an alarming rate during the last decade – Iceland has passed a law that will result in every strip club in the country being shut down. And forget hiring a topless waitress in an attempt to get around the bar: the law, which was passed with no votes against and only two abstentions, will make it illegal for any business to profit from the nudity of its employees.
    Even more impressive: the Nordic state is the first country in the world to ban stripping and lapdancing for feminist, rather than religious, reasons. Kolbrún Halldórsdóttir, the politician who first proposed the ban, firmly told the national press on Wednesday: "It is not acceptable that women or people in general are a product to be sold." When I asked her if she thinks Iceland has become the greatest feminist country in the world, she replied: "It is certainly up there. Mainly as a result of the feminist groups putting pressure on parliamentarians. These women work 24 hours a day, seven days a week with their campaigns and it eventually filters down to all of society."

The news is a real boost to feminists around the world, showing us that when an entire country unites behind an idea anything can happen. And it is bound to give a shot in the arm to the feminist campaign in the UK against an industry that is both a cause and a consequence of gaping inequality between men and women.
    According to Icelandic police, 100 foreign women travel to the country annually to work in strip clubs. It is unclear whether the women are trafficked, but feminists say it is telling that as the stripping industry has grown, the number of Icelandic women wishing to work in it has not. Supporters of the bill say that some of the clubs are a front for prostitution – and that many of the women work there because of drug abuse and poverty rather than free choice. I have visited a strip club in Reykjavik and observed the women. None of them looked happy in their work.
    So how has Iceland managed it? To start with, it has a strong women's movement and a high number of female politicans. Almost half the parliamentarians are female and it was ranked fourth out of 130 countries on the international gender gap index (behind Norway, Finland and Sweden). All four of these Scandinavian countries have, to some degree, criminalised the purchase of sex (legislation that the UK will adopt on 1 April). "Once you break past the glass ceiling and have more than one third of female politicians," says Halldórsdóttir, "something changes. Feminist energy seems to permeate everything."

Johanna Sigurðardottir is Iceland's first female and the world's first openly lesbian head of state. Guðrún Jónsdóttir of Stígamót, an organisation based in Reykjavik that campaigns against sexual violence, says she has enjoyed the support of Sigurðardottir for their campaigns against rape and domestic violence: "Johanna is a great feminist in that she challenges the men in her party and refuses to let them oppress her."
    Then there is the fact that feminists in Iceland appear to be entirely united in opposition to prostitution, unlike the UK where heated debates rage over whether prostitution and lapdancing are empowering or degrading to women. There is also public support: the ban on commercial sexual activity is not only supported by feminists but also much of the population. A 2007 poll found that 82% of women and 57% of men support the criminalisation of paying for sex – either in brothels or lapdance clubs – and fewer than 10% of Icelanders were opposed.
    Jónsdóttir says the ban could mean the death of the sex industry. "Last year we passed a law against the purchase of sex, recently introduced an action plan on trafficking of women, and now we have shut down the strip clubs. The Nordic countries are leading the way on women's equality, recognising women as equal citizens rather than commodities for sale."
    Strip club owners are, not surprisingly, furious about the new law. One gave an interview to a local newspaper in which he likened Iceland's approach to that of a country such as Saudi Arabia, where it is not permitted to see any part of a woman's body in public. "I have reached the age where I'm not sure whether I want to bother with this hassle any more," he said.
    Janice Raymond, a director of Coalition Against Trafficking in Women, hopes that all sex industry profiteers feel the same way, and believes the new law will pave the way for governments in other countries to follow suit. "What a victory, not only for the Icelanders but for everyone worldwide who repudiates the sexual exploitation of women," she says.
    Jónsdóttir is confident that the law will create a change in attitudes towards women. "I guess the men of Iceland will just have to get used to the idea that women are not for sale."

Iceland: the world's most feminist country | Life and style | The Guardian

Heh, awesome. I'd like to visit Iceland, providing the active volcanoes don't melt all the glaciers and sink it in the meantime.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

What about x-rated DVD, casettes, Internet sites and videos?

i think it's great they're doing so much for female equality however i'm opposed to the outlawing of prostitution and strip clubs. all that does is push prostitutes underground and make them more vulnerable to abuse and exploitation, and leads to a rise in organised crime.
    look what prohibition did for the mafia in the US...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I liked this quote:

I have visited a strip club in Reykjavik and observed the women. None of them looked happy in their work.
    If that was the criteria for banning a profession, the United States wouldn't have a postal service.

I saw on oprah that they leave their babies in the stollers parked outside the stores while they are inside shopping. Zero crime rate. crazy
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

And a hamburger costs like $15.

And their banking system completely collapsed in 2008 (combined debt of major banks was 6 times the GDP).

Banning strip clubs seems a bit anti-women to me. Keep the sex industry legal and regulated so women aren't placed in a position of vulnerability.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i think it's great they're doing so much for female equality however i'm opposed to the outlawing of prostitution and strip clubs. all that does is push prostitutes underground and make them more vulnerable to abuse and exploitation, and leads to a rise in organised crime.
    look what prohibition did for the mafia in the US...
    Agree. It's not going to go away, it's just going to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    I saw on oprah that they leave their babies in the stollers parked outside the stores while they are inside shopping. Zero crime rate. crazy
    That happens all over the Nordic region. Baby snatching is pretty much unheard of.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    That happens all over the Nordic region. Baby snatching is pretty much unheard of.
    Yep. When a Danish woman was arrested for leaving her baby outside [a restaurant, I think] in New York it was a huge topic here because everyone does it here without problems.
    Who ordered a naked Swede?? MEEEEE!!

laurenshelton2 thinks I'm worse than Claymates.

^^^
    what a retard though. even if you're used to doing that where you live and there's no risk, surely you'd think twice before leaving your kid on a sidewalk outside a restaurant in new york???
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I know right!
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    what a retard though. even if you're used to doing that where you live and there's no risk, surely you'd think twice before leaving your kid on a sidewalk outside a restaurant in new york???
    I do not recall the details - all I can say is that from a Danish perspective, the fact that she was arrested seemed crazy. Especially if she was able to see the baby from inside. No one would think twice about doing that here
    Who ordered a naked Swede?? MEEEEE!!

laurenshelton2 thinks I'm worse than Claymates.

arresting her was definitely a bit much but really she should have known better.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    And a hamburger costs like $15.
    Well, they live in a tiny island in the middle of the Atlantic. Of course the hamburger will be expensive. I bet they get a fresh salmon fillet cheaper than a crappy burger.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information