Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ads tell women: "Abortion changes you"

Default Ads tell women: "Abortion changes you"

A dishonest antiabortion campaign premieres in New York City's subway

By Tracy Clark-Flory
    Abortion Changes You
    This week, New York City subways will be inundated with ads from the organization Abortion Changes You

Today, the New York City subway system was hit with a series of ads from the organization Abortion Changes You. According to Metro International, they "depict either a woman saying, 'I thought life would be the way it was before,' or a man saying, 'I often wonder if there was something I could have done to help her.'" Presumably, the ads look a lot like the image above, which is featured on the group's Web site/memorial for terminated fetuses.
    Here's the thing: I think we should acknowledge that abortion can change you, that it isn't necessarily an "eh, whatevs" event. For some women, it may be akin to getting a tooth pulled; for others, though, it results in a profound and haunting loss. None of this goes against the dominant pro-choice message, which is that women should be allowed to make their own reproductive choices based on what they feel is right for them. Women have different experiences of abortion and they should be allowed to make different decisions, too.

That isn't to say I'm super pumped about the ads, though. They present one side of the story, which is that abortion changes you, period. Not that abortion can change a woman, but that it always does, and that is quite simply a lie. It isn't the sort of message born of concern for women, but rather a concern for converting women. Also, you know what is guaranteed to change you and your life in a profound way? Motherhood. But I don't recall seeing any subways ads featuring a woman knee-deep in dirty diapers with the text, "I thought life would be the way it was before."

Ads tell women: "Abortion changes you" - Broadsheet - Salon.com

Only thing it changed is that it only pushed the fact that I don't ever want to have children.

A*O

I had an abortion and it didn't change me at all apart from being hugely relieved that I wasn't going to have a child I didn't want and wasn't ready for in any way whatsoever. One marriage and two (wanted) kids later I feel the same way.

Sometimes if I'm feeling maudlin I might wonder "what if...." but I still totally believe it was the right decision at the time and I have no regrets except perhaps the fact that the birth control I was using at the time didn't do what it said on the box.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Like the article says, some people it changes, some it doesn't. The advert should reflect that.

In my opinion, this ad is wrong and should be banned.

I just don't like when people continue to do it over and over again and then wonder later on when they are finally ready to have a baby that they can't because of the 10 abortions they had.

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    I just don't like when people continue to do it over and over again and then wonder later on when they are finally ready to have a baby that they can't because of the 10 abortions they had.
    Yep, I feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    if someone is dumb enough to do that, it's probably a good thing they can't have children later.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    if someone is dumb enough to do that, it's probably a good thing they can't have children later.
    That's what I think! Anyone stupid enough to use this as a birth control method really cannot grasp simple basics.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Well it can change you but so can myriad other life experiences. That's why it's life (a little ironic).

A*O, I had an abortion too and have the exact same non-feelings. But the only thing I ever think about it really is, wholly crap I'd be a parent to a 22 year old kid now. But of course, I also think holy crap that was a drunken college one night stand with a guy who later went to federal prison for dealing. So, good decision on my part!

To the dude one, yea, there's something you could have done to help her....wear a condom.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    To the dude one, yea, there's something you could have done to help her....wear a condom.
    EXCELLENT point.

I'd be more inclined to believe it changes you more if you don't have an abortion since your entire life would change when you have a child.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Pregnancy and having a child changes you as well. In fact, most big decisions in life will change you. Big surprise.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus!

I believe people have the right to make a choice in everything they do but I also believe that I should have the choice not to support it. I do not want my tax dollars to pay for abortions. If someone gets an abortion it's between them and their maker, don't bring me into it - I wasn't there when the deed was done, nobody asked me my opinion then.

I'm glad I wasn't faced with this because I'm one of those that would have guilted myself to death.

Your tax dollars already pay for about 10,000 things you don't want, never use, and would be horrified by.

Don't hear ya squeakin about those, though
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information