Thread: EU Parliament: British MEP calls EU pres a 'damp rag', calls Belgium a 'non-country'

Default EU Parliament: British MEP calls EU pres a 'damp rag', calls Belgium a 'non-country'

February 25, 2010
    Nigel Farage insults EU president Herman Van Rompuy

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bypLwI5AQvY&[/YOUTUBE]

Nigel Farage was today accused of using personal insults to win publicity after he called the EU’s new president a “damp rag” and dismissed his native Belgium as a non-country.
    The former leader of the UK Independence Party showed his gift for finding the media spotlight by launching a vitriolic attack against Herman Van Rompuy, the former Belgian Prime Minister chosen to lead the European Council.
    His calculated attack came as part of a strategy to build his profile for a general election battle with Speaker John Bercow in Buckingham.
    The Times understands that Mr Farage is determined to be censured or suspended from the European Parliament to help with his Westminster campaign.

“I don't want to be rude but, really, you have the charisma of a damp rag and the appearance of a low-grade bank clerk,” Mr Farage said to Mr Van Rompuy in the European Parliament, drawing outrage from the Belgian press this morning.
    “The question I want to ask is: who are you? I'd never heard of you, nobody in Europe had ever heard of you."
    Mr Farage added: "I can speak on behalf of the majority of British people in saying that we don't know you, we don't want you and the sooner you are put out to grass, the better."
    Mr Van Rompuy said that he "would not stoop to that level" to respond.
    Like many of Mr Farage’s proudest moments, it was placed on YouTube and has become an internet hit.
    But the BBC was also accused of handing Mr Farage extra media exposure by running his tirade on its news bulletins to boost ratings for its own Question Time programme tonight, on which Mr Farage is due to appear.
    “The BBC is promoting Mr Farage who has become one of their pet performing animals,” said Denis MacShane, the former Europe Minister.
    “The BBC should not abuse its news bulletins by promoting a loudmouth of little importance simply because he is appearing on one of their prime time programmes.”
    He added: “Nigel Farage gives the average rent-a-quote MP or MEP a bad name. He has always confused personal insults with serious politics.”
    A UKIP spokesman said: “It was not unparliamentary language. It was rude, but it was not unparliamentary. UKIP is there in the European Parliament to try and make some waves.”

Nigel Farage insults EU president Herman Van Rompuy - Times Online - contains video
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Well. At least he doesn't soft pedal his opinion!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Usually the phrase ' I don't mean to be rude' is followed by a very rude comment.

This guy is acting like a 6 year old in a playground, jealous because he didn't get to the swings first.

Thread Information