Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Canadian neocon government destroys national day care program

  1. #1
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Thumbs down Canadian neocon government destroys national day care program

    Feb. 22, 2006. 01:00 AM
    LES WHITTINGTON AND SEAN GORDON
    OTTAWA BUREAU


    OTTAWA—Prime Minister Stephen Harper is promising compensation for Ontario and other provinces that stand to lose billions of dollars in child-care funding when the Conservative government cancels the Liberals' national daycare program.

    Following up on a campaign commitment, the Conservatives intend to scrap the $5 billion national child-care system set up by the federal Liberal government and the provinces.

    But Harper told Quebec Premier Jean Charest earlier this month that the Tories are willing to negotiate a transition period for payments beyond the March 31, 2007 cut-off date.

    Any arrangement made with Quebec will be available to other provinces, Harper told reporters yesterday.

    Ontario signed a $1.9 million agreement with Ottawa that has created 12,500 daycare spots in the province this year, and Premier Dalton McGuinty intends to ask Harper to honour that deal.

    The McGuinty government, which has complained that Ontario taxpayers send $23 billion a year more to Ottawa than they receive back in services, is not about to let Harper off the hook on child care.

    The Conservatives plan to provide a $1,200-a-year taxable child allowance for each pre-schooler instead of the Liberals' national program.

    Harper's commitment to work with Quebec and other provinces on child-care funding comes at a time when there is strong pressure to fundamentally alter the way Ottawa raises taxpayers' money and shares it with the provinces.

    The Prime Minister, who has promised to look at ways to allow provincial governments to raise more taxes while Ottawa reduces its take, is receiving some strong backing.

    An influential business group, the Canadian Council of Chief Executives, says the federal government should get rid of the $29-billion-a-year GST in order to give the provinces' more taxing powers. Then Ottawa could stop sending provincial governments money for health and social programs, allowing them to pay for these programs by raising their own taxes.

    The council, which represents 150 CEOs, said this move would simplify the patchwork quilt of tax-and-spending powers that is now a source of confusion and constant friction between the federal government and the provinces.

    "The responsibilities of the provinces have mushroomed enormously, while Ottawa collects the lion's share of the money, and it therefore has to give it to the provinces, so you're always in this tug-of-war," said council president Thomas d'Aquino.

    In a 33-page report, the council said the reform "would (for better or worse) reduce the federal ability to ensure national standards in areas of provincial jurisdiction."

    The GST suggestion was one of several in a council report delivered to MPs entitled From Bronze to Gold, which is intended to stimulate debate on ways to bolster Canada's jobs and prosperity at a time of profound international economic change.

    Giving the provinces more room to raise taxes at Ottawa's expense received initial positive reaction yesterday.

    "Our sense here is that, in principle, anything that gives power to the provinces to fund programs in their jurisdiction is a good thing," said Tasha Kheiriddin, Ontario director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.

    "It allows greater experimentation with social programs and more innovation at the provincial level."


    Jack Mintz, CEO of the C.D. Howe Institute, a Toronto think-tank, said the proposed GST shift to the provinces would have a major impact on the way federalism works.

    But "one could make a good argument for why we need to rethink some of federalism," he told CBC TV. "I think we need disengagement between federal and provincial governments so each of them will take responsibility for their own spheres of influence and stop shouting at each other and quit bargaining over revenues all the time."

    Harper has said he is open to dealing with the so-called fiscal imbalance, which sees the federal government running up huge budget surpluses while most provinces struggle to stay out of deficit to pay for medicare and other services.

    Questions about federal funding will be front and centre Friday when McGuinty and Charest co-host a meeting in Ottawa on post-secondary education and skills under the auspices of the Council of the Federation, a group set up by the premiers to encourage concerted provincial action on national issues.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  2. #2
    Elite Member Sojiita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Duh-hio
    Posts
    22,811

    Default Re: Canadian neocon government destroys national day care program

    Why do the conservatives target first programs for children?...shit this is just like the US ultra-conservatives! You all should rebel or something before you are permanently damaged by your damn goverment(like we already are )

  3. #3
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default Re: Canadian neocon government destroys national day care program

    Yes, that's so the 5 per cent of people who stay at home with their kids can get up to $1,200 a year in tax benefits. The other 95 per cent have to suck eggs.

    That move reflects reality all right, neocon reality. The BC government just shovelled a ton of money and tax benefits into private schools -- again, the 5 per cent factor. Fucking idiots. Oh well, I gotta go to work now, teaching the other 95 per cent!

  4. #4
    Elite Member moomies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough
    Posts
    15,515

    Default Re: Canadian neocon government destroys national day care program

    Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze
    That move reflects reality all right, neocon reality. The BC government just shovelled a ton of money and tax benefits into private schools -- again, the 5 per cent factor. Fucking idiots. Oh well, I gotta go to work now, teaching the other 95 per cent!
    Why wouldn't the money go into public schools? Most private schools are already much more priviledged than public schools in resources.

    If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

  5. #5
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default Re: Canadian neocon government destroys national day care program

    But their rich friends and the religious wingnuts send their kids to private schools. Gotta keep them happy, right?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Canadian neocons cut vital legal program for minorities. SHOCK!
    By Grimmlok in forum Politics and Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 28th, 2006, 12:27 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 16th, 2006, 01:55 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: April 12th, 2006, 10:05 AM
  4. Private funds to care for wounded soldiers? Where is the government?
    By buttmunch in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 20th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •