Thread: N. Ireland MP Iris Robinson stands down after affair with toyboy. Plus....

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default N. Ireland MP Iris Robinson stands down after affair with toyboy. Plus....

The toy boy lover of Iris Robinson feigned suffering from testicular cancer to end their relationship, it was claimed today.

Kirk McCambley told the MP wife of Northern Ireland's First Minister that the illness was threatening his life and affecting his sexual performance after she began to bombard him with text messages and love letters, said the Irish Independent newspaper.

She had helped the young businessman, who is 40 years her junior, obtain £50,000 in loans that was not declared to Parliamentary authorities.

The report said that after he ended the affair in 2008 that she demanded he repay the money and last March tried to kill herself after admitting to her husband she had been unfaithful.

Peter Robinson's future as First Minister was thrown into doubt yesterday after he was forced to step down 'temporarily'.

The Democratic Unionist Party leader handed over the reins of power for six weeks to a party colleague to care for his wife and clear his name amid claims over her finances.

Mr Robinson, 61, who is also a Westminster MP, said he needed time to deal with 'family matters'.

The glamorous Mrs Robinson, 60, is said to be receiving acute psychiatric treatment in Belfast after details were revealed of her liaison with Mr McCambley, who was 19 when they had their affair. The MP was expelled from the DUP last week.

It has emerged that Mr McCambley, who had a teenage girlfriend at the time of the affair, became panicked by Mrs Robinson's increasing demands for attention.

He broke off the relationship by then telling her he had cancer, the Irish Independent claimed.

Mr Robinson's decision to hand over power to his enterprise minister, Arlene Foster, appeared calculated to save Northern Ireland's precarious power-sharing deal.

The move was so chaotic that Mrs Foster, 39, did not even have time to telephone her family to warn them that she was being thrust into the province's top job.

Ministers in London had warned they would have to call a snap election for the Northern Ireland Assembly if Mr Robinson were to resign permanently and the executive failed to agree quickly on a successor.

The province's government was already close to breaking point because of a dispute between the DUP and Sinn Fein over when policing and justice powers should be transferred from London to Belfast.

Republicans are demanding progress on the handover of powers as the price for remaining in the power-sharing government.
    DUP party members,

Even though Mr Robinson is taking time out to care for his wife, he will remain in charge of the DUP's negotiations with Sinn Fein who are becoming increasingly irritated at the delay.

Mr Robinson had been facing calls to quit since a TV documentary last week claimed he failed to report his wife to the Parliamentary authorities for failing to declare loans she obtained to allow her lover to run a Belfast cafe.

Pressure has grown since former First Minister Lord Trimble, now a Conservative peer, said Mr Robinson had 'lost his authority' and predicted he would be forced out within days.

The DUP leader insists he did nothing wrong and told his wife to pay back the money.

Early yesterday, DUP colleagues at Stormont declared they were giving him their full support.

Assembly members were stunned when the Speaker interrupted proceedings later to reveal that Mr Robinson had asked that Mrs Foster to become acting First Minister.

In a statement, Mr Robinson said: 'As a father and a husband, I need to devote time to deal with family matters. I continue to contend I have acted ethically.'

Mrs Foster said he had asked for an investigation to help clear his name.

But with events moving at high speed, it was far from clear that the First Minister will have a job to return to in six weeks' time.

Sinn Fein's Gerry Kelly insisted the political crisis over the devolution of policing and justice must be resolved even in Mr Robinson's absence.

'I don't want this to go on for six weeks, I want this issue sorted out . . . in the very short term,' he said.

Read more: Iris Robinson's toy boy lover Kirk McCambley 'feigned testicular cancer to end affair' | Mail Online

Two things: unsurprising this hypocrite is part of the same party as Ian Paisley and then there's the homosexuality issues she harbours:

In June 2008, shortly after a homophobic attack (involving physical assault) on a gay man in Northern Ireland, she made comments on the BBC Radio Ulster's Stephen Nolan Show offering to recommend homosexuals to psychiatric counselling.[22] While condemning the attack,[23] she claimed that homosexuality was an "abomination" and it made her feel "sick" and "nauseous", and offered to refer homosexuals to a psychiatrist she knew. In a subsequent interview, Robinson defended her views and denied prejudice against LGBT people, saying that "just as a murderer can be redeemed by the blood of Christ, so can a homosexual.... If anyone takes issue, they're taking issue with the word of God".[24] Her comments were rebuffed by representatives of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, the Rainbow Project, the Alliance Party, [25] Sinn Féin,[26] and the Social Democratic and Labour Party.[27][28] The psychiatrist in question, Dr. Paul Miller, later resigned as her "adviser", and temporarily stood down from his post of consultant psychiatrist at Belfast's Mater hospital.[29] A police investigation followed these comments, over 100 complaints were made,[30][31][32] and gay rights activist Robert Toner also made a complaint to the Equality Commission.[30][33][34][35]

Robinson subsequently repeated her views in parliamentary session. Speaking in a 17 June 2008 Northern Ireland Grand Committee session on Risk Assessment and Management of Sex Offenders, she said: "There can be no viler act, apart from homosexuality and sodomy, than sexually abusing innocent children"[36] She reiterated her statement to the Belfast Telegraph on 21 June 2008,[37] but later claimed that she had been "misrepresented" in Hansard.[38] Her claims of misrepresentation were challenged when Alliance Party Executive Director Gerry Lynch confirmed with Hansard staff that Robinson's comments were in fact correctly quoted.[39] Further controversy was caused on 17 July 2008 when on the Stephen Nolan Show Robinson stated "it is the government's responsibility to uphold God's law".[40] In the Northern Ireland Assembly on 30 June 2008, in a discussion about "LGBT Groups: Mental-Health Needs", Robinson said that "Homosexuality, like all sin, is an abomination," and suggested that teenagers needed help deciding whether they were homosexual or heterosexual.[41][42]

By late July 2008, the Belfast Telegraph reported that "[A]lmost 11,000 people have signed a petition calling on British Prime Minister Gordon Brown to reprimand DUP MP Iris Robinson over her controversial remarks about homosexuality" and "[Fewer than] 30 people have signed an opposing petition calling on the Prime Minister to allow the comments to go un-reprimanded as a matter of personal opinion and religion".[43] As a result of her comments, Robinson was nominated for "Bigot of the Year" for 2008 by Stonewall.[44][45]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_Robinson#Comments_about_homosexuality

I say string the bitch up.

Apparently it's all because of 'mental illness'. I guess that's what they're calling thinking with your pussy these days.

LAST year, when we described Iris Robinson, wife of the First Minister of Northern Ireland, as “loopy”, we were far closer to the truth than we imagined.

In June, the rancid homophobe said she regarded homosexuality as an “abomination” that left her feeling “physically nauseous”.

Reacting to news that a local man, Stephen Smith, had been viciously attacked because he was gay, the bigoted Christian zealot suggested that he should consider “turn-around” therapy. Speaking on BBC Radio Ulster the MP condemned the attack but added:

I have a very lovely psychiatrist who works with me in my offices and his Christian background is that he tries to help homosexuals trying to turn away from what they are engaged in. And I have met people who have turned around to become heterosexual.

Today, Robinson – who has been married for 40 years – ’fessed up to having had an affair while of an unsound mind, and said she would is stepping down from politics.

Claiming to have suffered a “serious mental illness”, Robinson said in a statement:

During this period of serious mental illness, I lost control of my life and did the worst thing that I have ever done. Over a year and a half ago, I was involved in a relationship. It began completely innocently when I gave support to someone following a family death.

I fought with those I love most – my children and friends; saw plots where none existed and conducted myself in a manner which was self-destructive and out of character.

I grieve that I have damaged my profession in Christ, but I am comforted that He was able to forgive even me.

According to this report, Robinson, who said she had tried to commit suicide following her affair, also considers herself “forgiven by God”.Homo-hater Iris Robinson says Jesus and God have forgiven her adultery
    Last edited by buttmunch; January 12th, 2010 at 11:53 AM.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Thanks to her, her husband has lost his job, his political party is in jeopardy and she can look forward to the divorce. Plus she needs to pay back the loans and her toyboy's business is ruined.

No amount of 'treatment' can help such stupidity.

She won't be divorced 'cause they're fundies and he's already said he's forgiven her. He's only on leave but I see it as a permanent thing. Good that the political party is in jeopardy since it's the bloody Ulster Unionists (Ian Paisley's gang) and toyboy will probably appear on the next Celebrity Big Brother (or else sell his story to The Mail/Hello/OK for a cool couple of hundred thousand). Here's more on the money angle, the church, etc...oh, and the fact that she's known the kid since he was, well, a kid:

In what has developed into a stranger-than-fiction tale that has convulsed Northern Ireland, one of the more remarkable details of the affair and financial dealings between Iris Robinson and Kirk McCambley is how they met.

Mrs Robinson — MP for Strangford, member of the Northern Ireland assembly, alderman of Castlereagh borough council and wife of Northern Ireland's first minister — was a frequent customer of William (Billy) McCambley's butcher's shop in Ballyhackamore, east Belfast. His young son Kirk would help out in the shop, and first got to know her in the late 1990s when he was still at primary school.

Kirk McCambley, now 21, told BBC Northern Ireland's Spotlight programme on Thursday night: "I always seen [sic] her coming in and out. Just knew her from an early age, through the butcher's and through my dad."

He could not have failed to have known, even at that early age, who she was. With Peter Robinson's ascension in 2008 to first minister, the couple have officially become the "first couple" of Ulster politics, but have held that role for decades in loyalist east Belfast, where he has been MP since 1979 and a leisure centre is named after him.

Though the DUP leader has a buttoned-up public image, his wife has always been a more colourful figure, exuberant in her manner and carefully coiffed and heavily made up.

But no one can have anticipated that this decidedly odd couple – the devout Mrs Robinson, at 59, was old enough to be the then 19-year-old McCambley's grandmother – would have an affair .

The relationship developed after Billy McCambley died in early 2008 and Iris promised to look after his only son. "She made sure I was OK," Kirk McCambley told the programme. "Obviously anyone who has ever lost a parent knows that it's an incredibly hard time, and she was there to help."

Selwyn Black, Mrs Robinson's former political adviser who turned whistleblower for the BBC exposé, told the programme the couple would take evening walks around Belfast, with Mrs Robinson at first taking a maternal, advisory role. "As for Kirk he is the other son I would have loved to have been a mother to," she texted Black — the Robinsons have two grown up sons and a daughter.

But it was not to remain a mother-son relationship; by mid-summer 2008 the couple were having an affair.

It is difficult to overstate the shock Mrs Robinson's admission on Tuesday provoked in Northern Ireland. Both Peter and Iris Robinson are vocal evangelical Christians from a deeply religious and conservative unionist culture.

Mrs Robinson's transgression was the more astonishing given the controversy generated last year when she described homosexuality as an abomination on a par with paedophilia that made her nauseous. As the BBC programme coyly noted, the passage in Leviticus that she quoted contains similar sentiments about adultery.

Her Christian faith, however, does not seem to have hindered the relationship – nor set limits on her actions as a result of it. Shortly after the couple started sleeping together Mrs Robinson took her young lover on a walk along the river Lagan in Belfast and showed him a new cafe development for which Castlereagh council was advertising for tenants.

She told him, said McCambley, "she had … heard about a place down there. I came down and [saw] it, loved it, and started working on my business plan."

But at just 19, with very little business experience and almost no money, McCambley needed help. McCambley says he had heard of the two well-known property developers who each gave Iris Robinson £25,000 which she passed on to him, but had never met them. (It is not known on what terms the men gave the money to the politician, though questions will certainly be asked about the fact that Mrs Robinson, around the same time, was lobbying on one of the men's behalf over a prospective development.)

There was one more thing – McCambley was to give her a £5,000 kickback in cash so that she could pay off her own debts. He did.

When the question of the lease came to be decided at a council meeting, McCambley was judged the only candidate to have met the criteria. Mrs Robinson was present but did not declare her financial or personal interest.

By the end of 2008 the relationship was over. "Just cut links with Kirk. God's word was very clear on it. He was reasonably OK on it. I am not," she texted to Black. But despite her belated invocation of God, the real reason seems to have been money – Mrs Robinson wanted the investment back. "It seems cruel but I am not going to soften until he has paid back the 45k and he has got until Christmas," read another text.

The money was not, at that point, to be returned to the developers, but £20,000 was to be paid to Mrs Robinson's pentecostal church, the Light 'n' Life Free Methodist Tabernacle in Dundonald, on the outskirts of Belfast, and another £20,000 to repay her debts. Black, himself a former chaplain who was increasingly unhappy with the arrangement, texted his employer: "Where is God in all of this?"

That Christmas, at their Florida second home, Mr Robinson found out about the financial arrangement. At his urging, according to Black, McCambley was told to send the two payments of £20,000 (it is unclear what became of the last £5,000) to the two developers.

Two months later a Robinson family member, according to Black, found a letter in which details of the relationship emerged. On the night of 1 March 2009 Mrs Robinson tried to take her life.

Selwyn Black was summoned to the family home the next morning, where he found her "seriously ill" and called a doctor, who rang for an ambulance. Mr Robinson had left for work; television footage showed him joking in the assembly chamber at the time his wife was being taken to hospital.

In her statement, Mrs Robinson said her affair – "the worst thing I have ever done" – was explained by an ongoing battle with depression. "I grieve that I have damaged my profession in Christ, but I am comforted that He was able to forgive even me," she said. Peter Robinson said he had considered leaving his wife but she "would certainly have been less likely to recover if I had left".

He has forgiven her; whether the electorate can forgive them both is yet to be seen.Iris Robinson and Kirk McCambley: a strange tale of Belfast's 'odd couple' | Politics | The Guardian

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

He did say he thought about divorce and then decided not to but that was before the rest of the scandal emerged and he lost his job (which I also believe is permanent.) I think he will be thinking about it just a little more but will wait until things die down or she is out of hospital. One of the bitchiest things she did was to take that £5,000 cut off a 19 year old. I don't care if he goes to Hello! or BB. She deserves it.

I love the fact that once he stopped banging her she wanted all the money back! She's a real piece of work, eh?

--Sinclair Lewis

Yeah, the poor kid had to say he had cancer to get the rabid old harpy off his back. She obviously wasn't going to pay for his treatment!

Imagine if she'd ask for proof of the missing nut? OF course, that would be her right now but still...

--Sinclair Lewis

What a witch! I feel sorry for the guy. He should have come up with something infectious, though.

How fucking low do you think she feels NOW though? Finding out her 'boyfriend' had to fiend cancer to get the hell away from her?

She probably feels like a blood sucking vampire with a lobotomy.

I think she's kind of like Sarah Palin: a crazy fundie who uses God and the supposed forgiveness of God for any bit of nutty stuff she gets up to. I don't think she probably feels bad at all since it's all the fault of a 'mental illness'.

I'm wondering, by the way, how she knows God has forgiven her? Did God send her a message Federal Express?

--Sinclair Lewis

^ Maybe he forgives her because she is the First Minister's wife.

Her 'recovery' will depend on what happens with her husband rather than the hapless 19 year old who doesn't matter anymore.

Thread Information