Thread: New Canadian ambassador wants country to get back to kissing America's ass

Angry New Canadian ambassador wants country to get back to kissing America's ass

I'm sorry.. but your country is fucked up beyond all recognition. I'd rather we keep a distance, thanks.

Improved `tone from the top' called key
    Softwood lumber dispute heads his list of priorities
    Feb. 17, 2006. 01:00 AM
    SUSAN DELACOURT AND GRAHAM FRASER
    OTTAWA BUREAU

OTTAWAŚCanada-U.S. relations are in immediate need of "fixing up" after the Liberals' time in office and heated rhetoric toward the United States in the election campaign, says Michael Wilson, this country's new ambassador in Washington.

"There is definitely fixing-up work to be done," Wilson said in an interview yesterday, shortly after Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced that the former Conservative minister will be Canada's next ambassador to the United States.

More cordial relations and a solution to the softwood lumber impasse are Wilson's main goals when he takes up the post officially in mid-March.

A meeting between Harper and President George W. Bush is in the works, though no date or location has been set, and Wilson is confident Canada and the U.S. are on the way to putting relations on a better, friendlier footing.

"I believe the tone from the top is absolutely critical. The Prime Minister and the president know each other. They've met on a few occasions. They've talked on the telephone. They'll be getting together fairly early on, I would expect," Wilson said.

The improved tone at the top will make "it an awful lot more productive for an ambassador and for the embassy staff and the consulates-general staff to gain better access, better awareness of Canadian positions."

Wilson, without naming former prime minister Paul Martin, said the "tone from the top" had impeded Canadian diplomatic access in the past months.

"The problem with that tone from the top (is) that we haven't had that access. We therefore lose our opportunity to press our point of view," he said.

He acknowledges that not all Canadians would be happier with cosier relations and that he will also have to remind Americans occasionally the U.S. is not universally beloved in Canada.

"I can't deny the fact that there are pockets of anti-Americanism in this country. There are in any country in the world, because the Americans ... they're the big guy on the block and the big guy always attracts more attention.... That's a fact of life. They know that," Wilson said.

"What I think is important is that they understand some of the reasons behind that. Whether that will change what they do, I can't really predict. ... Whether we like them or we don't like them, whichever camp we fall in, they're our neighbours. You might not like your neighbour who lives on the same street as you, but you don't throw your snow on his driveway."

Wilson said he and Harper intend to use the good relations that former prime minister Brian Mulroney has with the current U.S. administration. Mulroney is a good friend of George Bush Sr. and has many friends and associates in U.S. conservative corridors.

"Mr. Mulroney and I have been good friends during our time in office and we talk on an ongoing basis. So I certainly will be looking to him for some guidance. He knows a lot of people down there and that will be very helpful to me, in meeting people quickly and effectively."

Often called bland or boring when he was in the Mulroney cabinet, Wilson was jokingly described by Harper during the election campaign as the man who taught him about charisma. Laughing in acknowledgement, Wilson said yesterday that charisma was less important than the ability to be comfortable in the U.S. political and trade milieu. He said he's sure he has the background to fill the job on that score.

Wilson, 68, quipped that it was "just like old times" when he greeted reporters after his meeting with Harper, alluding to his 14 years in Parliament, seven as finance minister.

"Softwood lumber is clearly top of the heap, top priority," he told reporters.

"What it is doing, the fact that we don't have a resolution there, it is impacting the whole relationship, and certainly in the eyes of Canadians, it signifies the lack of our ability to get agreement, to get an understanding with them on an issue which is very, very important."

The U.S. has imposed anti-dumping and countervailing duties against Canadian lumber imports since 2002 because it thinks Canada unfairly subsidizes softwood.

Canadian lumber exporters have paid more than $5 billion in duties so far.

Over the last three years, Canada has won a series of appeals at the North American Free Trade Agreement and World Trade Organization level, but the duties have not been rescinded and efforts to find a negotiated solution have stalled.

It will not be Wilson's first dealing with the softwood file.

In 1991, when he succeeded John Crosbie as trade minister after having introduced the goods and services tax, Crosbie quipped that if he solved the softwood lumber dispute, Canadians would forget what he had done as finance minister.

Now, 15 years later, he gets another shot at it.

Wilson said he also wanted to deal with the possibility that Canadians will be required to carry passports to enter the United States.

Under a U.S. proposal Canadians will require passports or another approved identity card to arrive in the United States by air or sea on Jan. 1, 2007, and will need that documentation at land borders one year later.

Americans will face the same requirements to return to the United States after a Canadian visit. This has sparked fears of lost tourism revenue because Americans will find the documentation required to return home to be too inconvenient.

Harper also announced that he has named career diplomat John McNee as Canada's ambassador to the United Nations after accepting the resignation of former Liberal cabinet minister Allan Rock.

McNee, now Canada's ambassador to Belgium, has previously served as ambassador to Syria and Lebanon, and has been posted to Madrid, London and Tel Aviv.

In addition, he worked in the Privy Council Office in the Policy Development Secretariat and in the Canada-United States Transboundary Division.

Canadian diplomats were pleased by his appointment.

"It's good to see a professional get the appointment," a senior diplomat said yesterday. "This was an indication that the government is keeping the balance between professionals and partisan appointments."
    I love the highlighted part, he's such a fucking Bush sycophant.. give me a break. Yes, people don't like America cuz they're the big guy on the block.. that must be it. It's their sheer size. Not the fact that the country is on the warpath and turning into a fascist theocracy.. heck no.

Also, don't dump snow on your neighbors driveway? How about if your neighbor has usurped your own driveway and half your house, and built a big ugly addition that hangs into your yard, and then has his dog shit on your lawn all the time?

This guy is a tool.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Silver Member

Default Re: New Canadian ambassador wants country to get back to kissing America's ass.

What does that snow comment mean anyway? What have Canadians been dumping on them?

There's a huge difference between being "Anti-American" and being Anti-Dumbass or Anti-Bully, yet they're lumping all those who don't agree with things into one category. I think most Canadians are smart enough to differentiate between politicians speaking out their backsides and the American people.

Default Re: New Canadian ambassador wants country to get back to kissing America's ass.

Yes we can, but this retard is speaking as if we can't. He's speaking Bush-ese, otherwise known as 'truthiness'

You can tell he'll be sucking gobs of money flavored shit right out of the GOP asspucker.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Nooo Stephen COlbert came up with the word, and it was apparently the word of 2005

I doubt your truthitude when it comes to truthiness.

When I first glanced at your post, I thought it read "Canadian ambassador wants country to get back to KICKING America's ass" and I was like "Whoo hoo! This guy RULES!"

Oh well, I can dream, can't I?

He doesn't rule, he's a neocon. That means he's a pedantic coward more interested in his wallet than people.

I want McKenna back!

How do you know? Are you watching me every second of the day?

Omg you're clinging to my window with suction cups!

I think it's "suck my fuck"..

And I love my avatar. I feel the black woman inside me. She wants to get out and make you talk to the hand.

And saluting the hammer and sycle would make your little communist heart soar

"I can't deny the fact that there are pockets of anti-Americanism in this country. There are in any country in the world, because the Americans ... they're the big guy on the block and the big guy always attracts more attention.... That's a fact of life. They know that," Wilson said.

"What I think is important is that they understand some of the reasons behind that. Whether that will change what they do, I can't really predict. ... Whether we like them or we don't like them, whichever camp we fall in, they're our neighbours. You might not like your neighbour who lives on the same street as you, but you don't throw your snow on his driveway."
    What? I've been to Montreal a few times and I did'nt see any anti-Americanism there, nor did anyone point me out and curse (though I'm Hispanic and not the "typical" looking American). What is this ambASSador talking about?

Well it's not like we're burning effigies out on the street.. you have to actually TALK to people...

SO you think my country is fubar - well, with that attitude, I wouldn't feel bad about making a driveway out of Canada. It is very apparent on every freaking politics board that starts with America blah blah blah that you don't like America. I don't expect everyone to agree with America's politics, but you need to keep in mind that there are Americans who also don't agree with what the politicians are doing. It seems like it is ok to paint all Americans with the same paintbrush, so what is the difference if I say that Canadians are rude, arrogant, stuck up, and snotty based on my experience with a few of them?

SVZ

Ummmm why does everyone make the leap from talking about American policies to talking about every individual American?

Draw the line.

Yeah, no kidding.

I was talking about the state of the nation as a whole, how the policies of the nation are fucked up, both internal and external.

And because someone points out the obvious you would prefer to just roll over them instead of engaging in a little national self examination?

Nice!

Thread Information