Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New German Minister is kind of a dick

Default New German Minister is kind of a dick

German minister-to-be rebuffs question in English
    Reuters Guido Westerwelle, leader of the pro-business Free Democratic Party (FDP) addresses the media during

Mon Sep 28, 10:36 am ET

BERLIN (Reuters) Guido Westerwelle, who is widely expected to become foreign minister in the next German government, admonished a reporter who asked him a question in English on Monday, saying: "We're in Germany here."

The head of the Free Democrats (FDP), who are poised to enter government in coalition with Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservatives, was giving his first news conference since Sunday's election when a BBC reporter asked whether he might be willing to respond to a question in English.

"Would you please be so kind, this is a press conference in Germany," Westerwelle replied in German.

Undeterred, the reporter then asked Westerwelle if he could respond in German to a question in English, only to be rebuffed again.

"In Great Britain people are expected to speak English and it is the same in Germany, people are expected to speak German," Westerwelle answered.

Using a translator, the BBC reporter then proceeded to ask a question about how German foreign policy would change with Westerwelle as foreign minister.

Westerwelle dodged the question, before adding: "Just so it's clear, I'm happy to meet you for tea outside the press conference and then we can speak only English. But we're in Germany here."

German minister-to-be rebuffs question in English - Yahoo! News
    I can't say I really blame him for insisting on German, but he was kinda dickly about it.
    Last edited by greysfang; September 29th, 2009 at 08:38 AM.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Oh boohoo ya kraut douchebag, english is the de facto language for business on the planet.

get over yourself.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I guess in Germany these days only the language of the 'master race' must be spoken.

Although this guy reminds me of some of the people in the U.S. who insist that everyone speak English at all times.

Well , it's a German press conference in Germany. I don't think Hillary Clinton would answer the question of an ARD reporter asked in German

Well no, she'd wait for the translation because she can't speak german.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

He was very polite about it

I don't think he was dicky about it, he did ask politely. Maybe his English isn't so brilliant and he didn't want to risk a crap answer as a result of something being lost in translation in the question.

Also, the threat title is incorrect. He's not the new German Prime Minister. The German Chancellor is and will remain Angela Merkel.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I guess in Germany these days only the language of the 'master race' must be spoken.
    *slaps King*

Like Hillary Clinton would answer questions in German! Or any other American politician, for that matter.

Background info: They are giving him a hard time over here because of his lack of English skills. Most foreign ministers in history spoke crappy English, but journalists are going out of their way to ridicule this guy.

It's like a deplacement activity: They can't ridicule him for being gay, so they focus on his language skills instead.

Team Guido. Take that Ahmadinejad, that's our Secretary of State for you, asshole.

Now, if we could all focus on the question why a BBC journalists stationed in Germany (and specialized on Germany) doesn't speak German, I'd be delighted.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Now, if we could all focus on the question why a BBC journalists stationed in Germany (and specialized on Germany) doesn't speak German, I'd be delighted.
    Good to see I'm not the only person who was wondering about that!

^^ I'm sure even Guido's crappy English is ten times better than the German skills of the reporter.

When I was a toddler I learned that it's very rude to address people in your native tongue when you're abroad. God forbid a foreign correspondent knows how to conduct in a foreign country!

It's typical of the English to behave as if colonialism never ended. Even in countries that were never part of the empire.

Re title: Westerwelle isn't PM. We don't have a PM. Merkel was re-elected as chancelor. Westerwelle will probably become foreign minister.

Also, I can't believe y'all would make me defend this guy! Gee.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    ^^ I'm sure even Guido's crappy English is ten times better than the German skills of the reporter.

When I was a toddler I learned that it's very rude to address people in your native tongue when you're abroad. God forbid a foreign correspondent knows how to conduct in a foreign country!

It's typical of the English to behave as if colonialism never ended. Even in countries that were never part of the empire.

Re title: Westerwelle isn't PM. We don't have a PM. Merkel was re-elected as chancelor. Westerwelle will probably become foreign minister.

Also, I can't believe y'all would make me defend this guy! Gee.
    ITA with the whole post, especially this part.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

I fixed the title, and Guido looks like Pat Sajak.

They call him crater Guido here, because of his acne scars. So mean.

Just to clear up the confusion: I do not support this guy in any shape or form. Didn't vote for him either. I have always hated his ass for reasons other than his language skills and his sexuality.
    -Bugdoll-

his sexuality?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    his sexuality?
    He's gay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information