Thread: Stand alone ID cards 'to be 30'

Default Stand alone ID cards 'to be 30'

Unbelievable!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4339866.stm

People will have to pay 30 for a stand alone identity card, Home Secretary Charles Clarke has announced.

But it is expected most people will want a combined passport and ID card, costing an estimated 93 each to make. The cards will be valid for 10 years.

Revealing the 30 cost, Mr Clarke said: "No-one who wants to protect their identity need pay more."

The potential price of the cards was among criticisms levelled at the scheme, which MPs debate next week.

Compulsion
    A London School of Economics study previously claimed that on the best case scenario it would cost about 170 to produce each card and passport - and probably much more.

The government plans to eventually make the cards compulsory, although people would not have to carry them with them under current proposals.
    From 2008, everybody renewing their passport would have to get an identity card too.

The cards would carry biometric data, such as iris scans, fingerprints and facial scans.

The latest cost estimates come from a report compiled for the Home Office by accountancy firm KPMG, which also suggested ministers look again at some of their cost assumptions.

'Beggars belief'

Mr Clarke also announced plans to allow people to register for the ID card when they apply for the criminal records checks needed for some jobs and voluntary work.

He said being able to prove one's identity was a fundamental part of modern life.

"A national ID card will be a robust, secure way to establish that identities are real, not fabricated," he said.

The Conservatives and Liberal Democrats, as well as civil liberties groups, are opposed to the scheme.

Tory shadow home secretary David Davis argued the cards would do nothing to prevent benefit fraud and illegal immigration, or effectively counter terrorism.

"Whatever the cost it still beggars belief that the government wants to make people pay this plastic poll tax," said Mr Davis.

"It will do nothing to prevent benefit fraud, to combat illegal immigration or to counter terrorism effectively.

"In fact, the one thing we can be sure of is that it will undermine our civil liberties."

'Extra tax costs'

Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman Mark Oaten said 30 would be too much for many people.

"The elderly and poorest in society who may be barred from essential services such as healthcare, if they can't afford the fee," he said.

"Only about 20% of the population will want to apply for a stand alone ID card, leaving the rest of the population to still pay over 90 for a combined ID card and passport.

"In addition, we will all be paying through our taxes for the cost of implementing this scheme."

A*O

They are muttering about ID cards in Oz too. I'm torn. On the one hand if it was mantadory I would not object to carrying one because I have nothing to hide but I certainly would not pay for it. On the other hand I don't really see what the card is FOR. People still need a passport or even a visa to enter foreign countries and I don't see how being able to identify someone with an ID card is any different to a drivers licence. The terrorist thing is nonsense because most of them make no secret of their real names anyway. How many people are living out there under a false identity? It's the old cost/benefit equation. Spend billions implementing an ID card to achieve what??
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    They are muttering about ID cards in Oz too. I'm torn. On the one hand if it was mantadory I would not object to carrying one because I have nothing to hide but I certainly would not pay for it. On the other hand I don't really see what the card is FOR. People still need a passport or even a visa to enter foreign countries and I don't see how being able to identify someone with an ID card is any different to a drivers licence. The terrorist thing is nonsense because most of them make no secret of their real names anyway. How many people are living out there under a false identity? It's the old cost/benefit equation. Spend billions implementing an ID card to achieve what??

ID cards won't do anything here. I think what they really want them for is benefit fraud but they can't admit it, so they say it's because of terrorism instead.

A*O

Yeah - well if they didn't hand out benefits like candy to anyone who puts their hand out, including illegal immigrants, then maybe the fraud problem would resolve itself somewhat.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Yeah - well if they didn't hand out benefits like candy to anyone who puts their hand out, including illegal immigrants, then maybe the fraud problem would resolve itself somewhat.

I don't qualify for benefits at all! And I'm an immigrant. A legal one, but an immigrant nonetheless. Benefits in this country are pretty stingy actually; my MIL (an OAP) lives on something ridiculous like 80 pounds a week and her council tax bill is ridiculously high; she doesn't get any breaks. Her brother is on disability benefit since he's a diabetic and can't work, and he gets even less...about 50 a week. He had to choose recently between having a telephone line or eating. I think that's pretty scandalous.

Thread Information