Thread: Quakers to conduct gay weddings

Default Quakers to conduct gay weddings

The Quakers have put themselves on a collision course with both the Government and fellow Christians by becoming the first mainstream religious organisation in the country to approve gay marriages.

At a meeting in York yesterday the denomination, which is also known as the Religious Society of Friends, voted to extend their marriage ceremony to same-sex couples and called on the Government to change the law on gay marriage.
    British law allows same-sex couples to conduct civil partnerships, which in effect gives them all the rights of a married couple. But the law stops short of labelling the ceremony a marriage to avoid offending religious groups, who believe a marriage can only be conducted between a man and a woman.
    The move is significant because, like rabbis and Church of England priests, Quaker registrars are allowed to marry people on behalf of the state. The Religious Society of Friends had long taken a tolerant stand towards homosexuality, unlike many orthodox Christians who believe homosexuality is a sin.
    The issue of gay marriages has almost torn the Anglican Communion apart, with the socially liberal and conservative wings of the Church bitterly divided over the issue.

Quakers to conduct gay weddings - Home News, UK - The Independent

i've always liked the quakers. when i was working in human rights, they were the only religious group there that was actualyl productive and progressive.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I thank thee,Friends.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i've always liked the quakers. when i was working in human rights, they were the only religious group there that was actualyl productive and progressive.
    A lot of my human rights activists buddies at university went to the Friends' School and were introduced to activism under the school's Quaker philosophy. Lot of respect - particularly because this is one private school run on a religious bent that does not shove their religion down the throats of attending students.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

There's a tiny Quaker church in my town. Beautiful little building, always immaculate and gives off a really 'peaceful, welcoming' vibe, much more so than the rigid coldness of the many other Catholic and Protestant churches that are all over the town.

We have a Quaker church here too that my mom actually went to when she was alive. They were progressive, a couple of men that dressed as ladies attended there. Were totally accepted
    Last edited by cupcake; August 10th, 2009 at 08:48 PM.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Yeah! Go Quakers! I knew someone has to bring some sense to this debate!
    Free Charmed.

we were members of a Friends church when i was growing up. its my one claim to niceness.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Thread Information