Thread: Uganda will outlaw female circumcision

Default Uganda will outlaw female circumcision

iStockphoto

Officials in Uganda are finally passing a law outlawing female circumcision, which is prevalent in the eastern part of the country. Uganda’s prez, Yoweri Museveni explained, “There is no part of a human body that is useless.” Not to mention the fact that this “operation” hurts like hell and is very dangerous. Crude tools are used to make the cut and are often shared between girls. Oh yeah, and there’s no anesthesia. This mutilation increases the risk of HIV transmission and can cause excessive bleeding or even death. So, why do tribes force girls to take part in this atrocious practice?
    Girls are told that no man will want to be with them unless they undergo this procedure. There are some stupid, antiquated, and very incorrect notions associated with this tradition. Namely, tribes think cutting off one’s clitoris makes the vagina cleaner. Also, it is thought to decrease the risk of premarital sex and marital infidelity. This is probably true because the girls who have this done probably NEVER want anyone near their vag again.
    So glad this practice is now illegal.

Site Offline

a lot of african countries ban it. the problem is enforcing the law. it's not like they go around checking girls' cooches... it's a traditional and private practice carried out by women, it's not like they go around advertising it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

It's sickening and barbaric. I hope this is the first of many African countries to ban this. Difficult to enforce, but a huge step in the right direction.

So they JUST realized that this was not a good thing?
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

^^
    no. part of the reason why some african countries haven't banned it by law (instead trying to educate people into abandoning the practice on their own) is because they think that by criminalising it, they would only drive it deeper underground and it still wouldn't stop.

it's a really complex matter and there is no easy way to get rid of it, at least not in the short term. it will be generations before people are educated enough to abandon harmful traditional practices and beliefs and in the meantime the only thing governments can hope to do is reduce the number of girls affected.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    a lot of african countries ban it. the problem is enforcing the law. it's not like they go around checking girls' cooches... it's a traditional and private practice carried out by women, it's not like they go around advertising it.
    Yeah, that was my thought too.

Still, it's something. But educating people and attempting to change attitudes will be more effective than a mere law.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I nominate Grimm for this job

This is a step in the right direction.

And remember - they still do it illegally, even here in the US.

Good for them. Change is coming.

Is this also done in middle eastern countries? I got in a discussion about this with some co-workers last week. I'm pretty sure the first time I read about it, it was muslim counties in the article but possibly african muslims.

Thread Information