Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Iran to sponsor Holocaust cartoon contest.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Iran to sponsor Holocaust cartoon contest.

IRAN'S largest selling newspaper announced today it was holding a contest on cartoons of the Holocaust in response to the publishing in European papers of caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed.

"It will be an international cartoon contest about the Holocaust," said Farid Mortazavi, the graphics editor for Hamshahri newspaper - which is published by Teheran's conservative municipality.
    He said the plan was to turn the tables on the assertion that newspapers can print offensive material in the name of freedom of expression.

"The Western papers printed these sacrilegious cartoons on the pretext of freedom of expression, so let's see if they mean what they say and also print these Holocaust cartoons," he said.

Iran's fiercely anti-Israeli regime is supportive of so-called Holocaust revisionist historians, who maintain the systematic slaughter by the Nazis of mainland Europe's Jews as well as other groups during World War II has been either invented or exaggerated.

Iran's hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad prompted international anger when he dismissed the systematic slaughter by the Nazis of mainland Europe's Jews as a "myth" used to justify the creation of Israel.

Mr Mortazavi said tomorrow's edition of the paper will invite cartoonists to enter the competition, with "private individuals" offering gold coins to the best 12 artists - the same number of cartoons that appeared in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten.
    Last week, the Iranian foreign ministry also invited British Prime Minister Tony Blair to Teheran to take part in a planned conference on the Holocaust, even though the idea has been branded by Mr Blair as "shocking, ridiculous, stupid".

Mr Blair also said Mr Ahmadinejad "should come and see the evidence of the Holocaust himself in the countries of Europe", to which Iran responded by saying it was willing to send a team of "independent investigators".

aunews
    Welcome to the start of WWIII people.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

SVZ

Default Re: Iran to sponsor Holocaust cartoon contest.

It is amazing that these countries seem to feel that torture and beheading people is just fine, and roadside bombing, etc., but let there be some cartoons of Mohammed and they go ape shit.
    Keep passing the open windows.

One of the reasons the reaction to these cartoons has been so strong is that when they were spread across the middle east, those who did the spreading included incredibly offensive cartoons that hadn't been part of the Danish series. And the Danish series was in response to a debate going on there which was inspired by a comedian questioning whether or not religious tolerance extended to islam. He said he would urinate on the bible and know that it might cause an uproar but not much more. On the other hand, he said he'd never urinate on the koran because he knew it would mean a fatwa. Anyway, I've seen the cartoons in question and while I understand that orthodox muslims do not believe any image of Mohammed is acceptable, there was only one that your average person would find offensive, which would be the one with the turban in the shape of a bomb. And maybe the one where Mohammed tells newcomers to paradise that they're out of virgins. It's a tough question, the whole thing. But I'm coming down on the side of freedom of speech on this one.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Some are arguing that these cartoons were not free speech--they were hate speech. I'm not sure if I agree w/ that or not.

I really have to think: what was the point of the cartoons? The entire purpose was to anger & insult people.
    A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror. -Ken Keyes Jr.

The usual thing cartoons are for: to lampoon something, or make it ironic.

This whole thing is so childish.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Check out the cartoons before making up your mind. Like I said, some thought the editor commissioned them in order to be provocative. Others buy that he was trying to add another voice to a big debate in Denmark right now about where do immigrants, many of them muslim, fit in to Danish society. How much does Danish society have to do to accomidate the newcomers and how much should the immigrants be expected to respect the mores of their new country. It's a tough debate made harder by the fact that there is a far right element taking part in the right leaning government coalition under Danish PM Rasmussen.

--Sinclair Lewis

In my view, the immigrants need to integrate, not demand the society they join accomodate them to that much of an extent.

They don't want to integrate, they want to basically take their old country with them to Denmark and screech about intolerance when the host country says no
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Silver Member

As a Muslim, I find the cartoons were offensive.But the reaction of violence by some of the radical hooligans is completely unjustified and unacceptable by all means.

As for the Iran thing now with the Holocaust. What the heck is the point of that?An independent newspaper posted these and what does that have to do with Jews and the Holocaust. Iran for SURE is using this as a political pawn just to have an excuse to degrade the Holocaust. HYPOCRITES!

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch
    One of the reasons the reaction to these cartoons has been so strong is that when they were spread across the middle east, those who did the spreading included incredibly offensive cartoons that hadn't been part of the Danish series. And the Danish series was in response to a debate going on there which was inspired by a comedian questioning whether or not religious tolerance extended to islam. He said he would urinate on the bible and know that it might cause an uproar but not much more. On the other hand, he said he'd never urinate on the koran because he knew it would mean a fatwa. Anyway, I've seen the cartoons in question and while I understand that orthodox muslims do not believe any image of Mohammed is acceptable, there was only one that your average person would find offensive, which would be the one with the turban in the shape of a bomb. And maybe the one where Mohammed tells newcomers to paradise that they're out of virgins. It's a tough question, the whole thing. But I'm coming down on the side of freedom of speech on this one.
    In Denmark, would they ever dare have drawn Moses with a bomb on his head implying that Jews follow a culture of death?I do not think they would do it to Jesus either...I think there is a double standard...On February 4, 2006, Danish newspaper Politiken printed thatJyllands-Posten in 2003 received a submission of a cartoon of the resurrection of Jesus and did not print it. The article alleges that the reason JP did not publish the image was concern that it would lead to an outcry.

The cartoons depict the holy Prophet Mohammed. He represents all Muslims not only radical muslims. IMO if you're depicting the prophet as a terrorist, you're implying that all Muslims are terrorists or at the very least that Islam is founded on terrorism.

But for the fact that these drawings depict a holy prophet as demeaning is offensive to those who follow the Islamic faith. If they say their intent was to not offend Muslims, how can it not when the Jyllands-Posten cartoons imply that all Muslims are terrorists, by depicting Muhammad carrying a bomb in his turban and collaborating with terrorists (by receiving them in heaven).

I got this info from Wikipedia...
    On September 30, 2005, the daily newspaper Jyllands-Posten ("The Jutland Post") published an article titled "Muhammeds ansigt"[4] ("The face of Muhammad") . The article consisted of 12 satirical caricatures (of which only some depicted Muhammad) and an explanatory text, in which Flemming Rose, Jyllands-Posten's culture editor, commented:

The modern, secular society is rejected by some Muslims. They demand a special position, insisting on special consideration of their own religious feelings. It is incompatible with contemporary democracy and freedom of speech, where you must be ready to put up with insults, mockery and ridicule. It is certainly not always equally attractive and nice to look at, and it does not mean that religious feelings should be made fun of at any price, but that is less important in this context. [...] we are on our way to a slippery slope where no-one can tell how the self-censorship will end.That is why Morgenavisen Jyllands-Posten has invited members of the Danish editorial cartoonists union to draw Muhammad as they see him...
    It seems to me like their intent was to degrade Prophet Mohammed and Muslims. Since when does freedom of speech extend to the justification of drawing negative stereotypical, demeaning, hateful and prejudice cartoons about another religious group or ethnicity?

Depends if the cartoons have any truth to them. last I checked, Islam was the only major religion to have a nutjob segment that went around blowing things up and advocating the slaying of the infidels.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    Depends if the cartoons have any truth to them. last I checked, Islam was the only major religion to have a nutjob segment that went around blowing things up and advocating the slaying of the infidels.
    Last time I checked, radical loonies are not a representation as a whole of a religion. Using that logic, then that means Christians and people of the Caucasian race can be dumped along with the radical loonies who exercise terrorism from the Wstern powers of the Christian faith.

The Western countries who are the most powerful have killed a heck lot more people in the name of "democracy" through their foreign policies. than the Islamofascists have killed in the name of religion. The western countries mask their true agendas by implying it is to spread "democracy", while the Islamofascists use religious fundamentalism.They are no different to each other, they are the anti-thesis to each other. In this post 9/11 era world, they BOTH use these tools (Western powers-democracy, Islamofascists-religion) to pursue their sickning agendas and distort them to gain their political, economic or social means whichever suits their needs and self-interests. Same ol crap, just different political tools.

Let us not forget that the Western powers have funded and even made Islamofascism rise out of its dust.

As the bigot Samuel P. Huntington has said.."The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."

Oh yes, I know how evil western powers have been. How does that excuse the actions of said nutjobs over a frigging cartoon?

Frankly, I think this is a wonderful idea. Instead of wars, we can now have "cartoon-offs." The side that can make the most offensive cartoons wins. Look how many lives will be saved. Soldiers can take art classes.

I'm for it.

See, I'm all about the giant robot wrestling matches, ROBO JOX style.

That will only work as long as we have enough oil to generate electricity. We could be at a serious disadvantage in the long run. Unless Bill Gates can get it together and figure out how to run computers on ethanol....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information