Thread: Volunteer Agencies

Default Volunteer Agencies

i've aimed to join the peace corps, and eventually crisis corps, for the past 13 years of my life but i really don't want to be associated with the U.S. government. when i get out of school i'll be a trained top level paramedic and i really want to use those skills and not teach some side job like english or hygeine. i looked into doctors without borders but they don't recruit paramedics should've been a damn nurse
    can ya'll recommend international volunteer agencies i should look into?

SVZ

doctors without borders?

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ
    doctors without borders?

That's what 'Medecins Sans Frontiers' is called in the USA.

Wow, that's a great thing emcee!

Maybe the Red Cross or other 'relief' organization? You may have to travel at a very remote area of the world at a moments notice, so I guess if you don't mind that....

Gosh, that's a good question. Have you tried looking online for anything?

Um, cuz right now the US government is batshit insane and that kind of connection could get you shot.

Is the Foreign Legion still around?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I'm a college Rotarian. Rotary International is the largest service organization in the world. While not exactly a 'volunteer agency', you do get to travel the world and make a difference. www.rotary.org.

thanks for the suggestions. i'm looking around on my own but i want to make sure i choose a reputable one.

A*O

There's plenty to choose from - I guess it depends on what you actually want to do (teaching, nursing, practical hands-on stuff, social work, professional skills, eg IT, etc). I have a friend who did a stint in Africa with a well-known food/medical aid charity (I won't name names) and he was shocked and disillusioned at the rampant corruption among local people that syphoned off huge amounts of cash and materials, and also the attitude of the charity officials who spent most of their time swanning around in brand new Land Cruisers 'monitoring' things but not actually doing anything useful or constructive. He stuck it out for 6 months but felt his efforts were, in his words "pissing in the wind" so he returned to Oz and now works in the IT department of another charity. Poacher turned gamekeeper, eh?

I am sure there are plenty of organisations who are well-organised and do make a genuine difference to people - you just have to choose carefully. Good luck!
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

That doesnt surprise me A*O.

Its an ongoing story that most aid gets siphoned off or hijacked. However even if only 10% makes it through thats 10% better than none.

Its very difficult for these agencies to operate in banana republics.

In answer to and earlier question, Yes The Spanish and French Foreign Legions still exist.

However they are not a smart career choice. They are always the first troops the French send in as a few foreigners dying for France doesnt upset the French people. Beyond that they are notorious for being vicious. In Sierra Leone they ordered all the press out for 'safety reasons' and within two weeks the 'situation' was restored to normal.

However having said that Military experience counts alot in getting and edge to get in with aid organisations. may be worth getting considering. Plus military medicine is far more relevant to Aid organistions. As a civilian Paramedic your role is to provide critical initial care for a limited duration ( ideally the 'Golden Hour' ) before handing the patient on to higher level care.

In Mil Med your handover time is 6-48 Hours and you operate in the field environment so your skillset is far more useful.

As to who to go to its a matter of research. You will probably find once you are in the Paramedics there will be people with more direct advice / experience on current options. I left Med Corp in 99 after 6 years so my accreditation would have expired in 2001.

Be prepared to meet a bunch of cynical and sick bastards though, Medics rock!
    An EM is like a Scientologist - Unhinged and Unbelievable - Now shutup and place your hands on my EM-Meter

Thread Information