Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 273

Thread: Why is plastic surgery so frowned upon?

  1. #106
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    52,224

    Default

    ^^^^
    sorry to be so nosy but why a boob job instead of a lift, that way there's no need to make them bigger. you don't have to answer if you don't want, i'm just genuinely curious.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  2. #107
    Elite Member Lobelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    a backwards hillbilly state
    Posts
    20,801

    Default

    Because there wasn't much left to lift. I was a 36 C for years, but breastfeeding just made them deflate. Plus, a lift would have left much, much more scarring. I just wanted what I had before. You're just assuming incorrectly that I made them bigger.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

    Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

  3. #108
    Elite Member Sojiita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Duh-hio
    Posts
    22,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinnergirl View Post
    It is only frowned upon by people who cant afford it.
    What a stupid thing to say.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

  4. #109
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i admit i have a bias when it comes to breast implants. i had a breast reduction which i don't consider cosmetic since there is a large comfort factor (insurance paid for mine too, it's one of the few procedures insurance will pay for) because big boobs are a pain (literally), clothes don't fit properly and they make you look top heavy...and i guess it's just beyond me that people would want to put plastic bags under their skin. i can understand PS to take stuff out or make a nose finer, but boob jobs belong in another category. like i said before, to me PS is about working with what you have and making subtle improvements. i can understand breast lifts, for instance. but implants, because of the risk involved, and because it goes so far beyond improving what you already have, are in a different, more negative category. maybe it also has to do with the fact that i think it's ridiculous that so many women seem to think their being feminine and womanly depends on their bra size, and because frankly most boob jobs look fake. i don't mean to offend those with implants, just stating my own personal opinion.
    No offense, but you obviously have never been small chested, so how can you say it's ridiculous to want a breast augmentation to feel more feminine? You've never experienced their issues, just as they've never experienced yours. You say that you don't consider a breast reduction cosmetic, yet 2 of the 3 reasons you stated for having the procedure were purely cosmetic. This goes back to the double standard Crumpet mentioned earlier and how things YOU'D want to have done are acceptable and/or necessary, but if it doesn't interest you, it's completely frivolous and foolish.

  5. #110
    La vie en rose DitaPage*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    37,547

    Default

    I want to know who decided that BREASTS alone made a woman feminine? Especially when fat men also have them.

  6. #111
    La vie en rose DitaPage*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    37,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinnergirl View Post
    It is only frowned upon by people who cant afford it.
    Wrong.
    What about celebrities, or even just normal people with money who choose not to fix flaws? They can certainly AFFORD to.

  7. #112
    Hit By Ban Bus! ediebrooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In another dimension, untouched by time
    Posts
    6,830

    Default

    I can certainly understand Lobelia's reasons for getting implants. I also sympathize with women who lose their breasts to cancer, and opt for reconstructive surgery.

  8. #113
    Elite Member crumpet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!
    Posts
    7,751

    Default

    People who feel THAT bad about themselves are NOT going to be cured by PS-PS is not a miracle cure. Even if you fix one thing, your obviously serious issues will be transferred to another part of your body anyway.
    I actually agree with that.
    I can certainly understand Lobelia's reasons for getting implants. I also sympathize with women who lose their breasts to cancer, and opt for reconstructive surgery.
    Edie: that's one of the examples of double standards I was talking about, too. Well, ot's okaaaay to get implants if you've lost your boobs to breastfeeding or cancer, but other than that.......is bull, because it is still vanity. There is no real difference at all between wanting fuller breasts because they are small(especially compared to the rest of your body) by nautre or if they are flattened out by breastfeeding or nonexistant due to cancer. If it's silly for a woman to need bigger boobs to feel prettier or more female, why wouldn't that apply to bf and cancer,too? Either way when it comes down to it it is still about wanting your chest to look different or better, at least to yourself. If a flat chested woman can make due with inserts and padded bras, why can't a cancer survivir or post breast feeder do the same? Are they the only people whose self images matter? Are they the only ones allowed to care about how they look? My guess is that some people can see themselves in the breast feeder or cancer survivor and think that maybe in those circumstances they would consider it,too. So, those people get a pass on the judgement scale. well, neither of those women need breasts anymore than a dobule A cup woman, it still all comes down to something superficial, it still comes down to vanity. And, no, I can't blame either one of those women for wanting implants, but i also wouldn't judge any other woman for whatever her own reasons are. Besides, most women who get implants do not become the size of the average woman needing a breast reduction. You would be surprised how many Bcup implants are all around you because not every woman wants implants to look like a porn star. Someone who has so much in the boob dept that they would need a reduction to manage pain certainly has never seen the other side of the coin. Also, most lifts are recommended with impalnts, like Lobelia said, because onnce they are deflated there isn't much in there to lift and a lift doesn't get the fullness back. I believe that's what Jessica Simpson did when she go hers lifted.

    I also don't believe implants are more 'dangerous' than other surgeries. Most ps deaths i've heard of have been from complications due to lipo. All surgeries carry the risk of death and if implants don't work out they can be removed, which is a pain but not essentially life threatening. It's something to consider with any surgery. Personally, I'd be less afraid to get my boobs worked on because I can always wear a shirt if they get fucked up but I can't go around with a bag over my head if my face lift or nose job gets botched.

  9. #114
    Elite Member NHKMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    2,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Brace, dying, contact lenses, etc, are not plastic surgery. Period.
    I think her point was more general: that these are all artificial means of conforming to some standard of beauty, to improve on one's natural appearance. None of that mess is god-given,either. Period.
    I do understand why some people would want rhinoplasty, or the like. I don't understand why someone would want breast implants though, thats kind of beyond me. To me it seems so unnecessary.
    Please explain to me how a nose job is more necessary than a boob job. 95% of this shit isn't necessary, that's not the point of ps. That's why most insurance companies won't cover ps: it isn't medically necessary. I'll come right out and say that the double standards chap my ass. Essentially, it amounts to this:anything I would consider doing is okay, but the other stuff is just weird, creepy, or unnecessary. People always seem to make little exceptions when judging others depending on how much someone else's choices mirror their own. I've said it before and I'll say it again: some people on this board have major boob issues. It's almost like they are trying to convince themselves that their small, deflated, lopsided, you name it boobs are so superior to those with implants. The old saying thou dost protest too much comes to mind. I'm sorry, but it does. People here act like breast augmentation is the worst oppressor of women, that it's the one surgery that hurts all women collectively more than any other, and that's bullshit. Like I said on another thread, how is having the fat sucked out of your ass any less vain? How is having your wrinkles injected away any less a sign of insecurity than anything else? We are all insecure, ps or no ps, at least about something. Just because some avoid ps for whatever reason doesn't mean that they agonize any less over their perceived flaws any more than people who go under the knife.
    Well said.

  10. #115
    Elite Member Lobelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    a backwards hillbilly state
    Posts
    20,801

    Default

    I'm very willing to admit that it was for vanity. My boobs just grossed me out after breastfeeding because they were flat & floppy. I wouldn't have minded it if they had just become smaller. I swear I wouldn't. But their shape was just awful, and it did affect the way I felt about myself.

    Like crumpet said, there are definitely women with B cup implants out there. I can think of about 3 women I knew for years & was surprised to learn that they had implants, because they just looked "normal" if there is such a thing. I guess I mean that I didn't look at them & see huge boobs - there wasn't anything noticeable about their breasts at all. I think we often hear "implants" & automatically think of a caricature, like Pam Anderson, and yes, those look fake, but I think that the smaller ones pass for real quite well much of the time.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

    Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

  11. #116
    Hit By Ban Bus! ediebrooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In another dimension, untouched by time
    Posts
    6,830

    Default

    Well, Lo, I understand why you got the implants, and I probably would have done the same thing had I been in your situation.

  12. #117
    Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Now with ADD added goodness!
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    Had my boobs evened out by a ps after surgery, chemo and radiation, but had they both been taken during the treatment of my cancer I would not have hesitated to have implants if that was an option.

    Good for you Lobelia. There's nothing wrong with trying to look the way you would have normally appeared.

  13. #118
    Elite Member Lobelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    a backwards hillbilly state
    Posts
    20,801

    Default

    It's kind of funny how many people tried to talk me out of it, and you know what? They were all men. The women were all supportive. I was separated from my first husband at the time, or I wouldn't have done it because he was vehemently opposed to it. My cousin's husband declared that I would end up getting cancer because of it.

    Before I decided to do it, I dreamed one night that I had gone ahead with the surgery. It was a great dream, because I was so happy about it. I remember thinking, this is so great, I don't have these triangular-shaped socks flopping down my chest anymore... then I woke up & was so disappointed. That dream convinced me to go ahead.

    My problems were these: I let the doctor talk me into getting larger than I really wanted, and I gained weight afterward, & a lot of it went to my chest. Now that my weight is back down, I'm ok with them. Never wanted big ones, just round-ish ones.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

    Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

  14. #119
    Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Now with ADD added goodness!
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    Sounds like it was the right choice for you. I had my eyelids tweaked this fall and people tried to talk me out of it. It was the right choice for me because I was starting to have some vision issues due to some excess skin. If I ever end up as skinny as I would like I'm going to get an excess skin tuck.

  15. #120
    Bronze Member sinnergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ediebrooks View Post
    So does that mean you've had plastic surgery?
    Yep!
    Boom, I got your boyfriend, boom I got your man.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

  1. February 7th, 2007, 12:40 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Would you consider this Plastic Surgery? (On Animals)
    By moomies in forum Pets and Animals
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: April 2nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: February 26th, 2007, 02:42 AM
  3. Liv Tyler's no to plastic surgery
    By MaryJane in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 8th, 2006, 07:28 PM
  4. Plastic surgery for your vagina
    By buttmunch in forum Plastic Surgery
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: July 28th, 2006, 03:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •