Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is plastic surgery so frowned upon?

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

cheray if you have made peace with your decisions then more power to you. I had my eyelids tweaked, my breasts evened up and a tummy tuck but all three were actually correcting something physically wrong with me more than it being about me feeling that I needed to look better. But I am not entirely opposed to having proceedures if it's important to you and you don't overdo it. Does anyone really need to get EE cup implants? Really? Or someone else's nose? The best PS is that which subtly improves the person yet doesn't take away their uniqueness, like someone said earlier once Jennifer Grey did her nose she lost all her unique beauty and because just another perfect looking plain girl.

I think plastic surgery can be beneficial; but I think many people just use it as a tool to try to cover their insecurities, and it develops into an unhealthy obsession. When its used instead of therapy then its a huge problem. I don't have a problem with it when its something that any reasonable person would undertake. But sometimes it all seems so frivolous, and pretentious. I do understand why some people would want rhinoplasty, or the like. I don't understand why someone would want breast implants though, thats kind of beyond me. To me it seems so unnecessary.

My problem with alot of the plastic surgery in Hollywood, is that people hold them up as the epitome of beauty, and I think thats a very unhealthy concept, when they have fake parts in them and their facial features are fake. Because then younger people strive to look like something they can't achieve without the surgery. I think natural beauty should be embraced more. And I HATE when celebrities deny their plastic surgery, that just exacerbates the situation more, with people unwisely thinking they naturally look so beautiful.

^Exactly. What irritates me about stars and plastic surgery are their denials.

I can see tweaking things to better your overall appearance. But with breast augmentation, putting silicone or saline as a lasting thing in your body squicks me out. It's seems unnecessarily dangerous, all with the intent of having big boobs. I posted in another thread how my friend's sister's silicone ruptured. They had to open her up and pick the silicone pieces off of her ribs. Pretty painful. She never did get the boobs right either. They look kind of wonky. I just could never be comfortable with it, but if it makes you feel better about yourself and you willing to risk it, then that's your right. Still I think there must be underlying self-esteem issues that won't go away no matter what the size of the boobs. JMHO, no offense to anyone who has a boob job!

I think the first PS I'll venture to try will be Botox. I haven't heard about any side effects. I have a frown line that I'd love to be rid of.

Yeh I look at people in the shops the regular everyday people and think now how much better would they look with a face lift? Some, its true, nothing would help. Old ladies I look at and think, well you got through life looking ok and didnt get any help. Actually most people arent that great to look at. I bet some are even models and can mingle with the crowds without their makeup and their lighting and photoshop and I am none the wiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinky View Post
    I need to chime in on this old thread.
    The theme to Jaws starts up..

I have had many struggling feelings over plastic surgery, but after much self discovery in the last two years and doing a lot of studying/research, I can come to the conclusion that "self improvement" through cosmetic surgery is fine on a person-to-person basis.
    As opposed to the mass marathons of plastic surgery that take place...

The fact of the matter is: you don't know me. You don't know what I've been through, and you don't know how I feel when I look in the mirror.
    No, we haven't quite nailed down your particular body dysmorphic obsession yet, but we're getting there.. we just need a bit more funding..

Another fact is: you don't know Ashlee Simpson. You don't know Pamela Anderson.
    Can we get an 'Amen'?

You don't know the person who has had plastic surgery, and why? Because YOU AREN'T THEM.
    Well, that or we aren't friends.

WHY would you feel the need to judge someone you don't know?
    Sheer entertainment value?

That seems just as shallow as the plastic surgery you're lambasting!
    Yeah, but the difference is we admit it.

What if... what if these people you are critiquing look into the mirror every day and say, "I hate you. I hate you, and you are a hideous human that doesn't deserve to live."
    Then they should be wearing a jacket with tied up sleeves and be swallowing the blue bird of unhappiness until their shrink arrives.

Of course, this isn't true. Everyone is beautiful, no matter what.
    Except for the ugly people who scream at mirrors.

It doesn't matter WHO you are, or WHAT you come from, or what color skin you have or how your nose is shaped.
    What if you come from the 7th layer of hell?

Beauty is highly subjective, but another fact of the matter is we are brainwashed to think there is "beautiful", and then there is "you".
    Societal programming, yep.

And you will hear those two things your entire life. AND IT HURTS. It hurts on the inside, where it's supposed to count.
    Sure, if you're shallow enough to really think about it all the time. Oops, there goes your theory on pitying the PS freaks..

So I think plastic surgery is perfectly fine, and I think if you're in spritual turmoil over if you should get it or not, ask the only person that matters: YOU.
    That's right! You, shallow and obsessive you, should consult YOU to figure out if YOU need to get carved up! Because being obsessed with something as shallow as looks is wrong, but getting the plastic surgery to 'fix' said shallow obsession is FINE!

VIVA CONTRADICTIONES!

Will you be okay with yourself after the procedure? Will you feel more sexy? Is it purely to get laid, or is it so you can be happy in the mirror? Will you have a problem with yourself for life if you don't go through with this?
    Well, if we were THEM or friends with THEM we'd tell you. What, you aren't?

You people who have a problem with plastic surgery, I pity you.
    I pity people who can't even string together a cogent argument, but at least they can fix their fug faces with PS and be somewhat presentable. But wait, that's shallow.. or is it? YOU CANT DECIDE!

It's none of your fucking business what I want to do with MYSELF.
    Till you get famous and have your botoxed mug plastered on a magazine, we wont give 2 shits what you do.

You know... the person I live with every day? How dare you judge me when you don't take the time to know me. YOU are the problem. Not us.
    Oh I'm pretty sure you're the one with the problem, Mrs. Can't Figure Out If Plastic Surgery Is Shallow.

Furthermore, cosmetic surgery is a highly objective term to begin with. Technically, braces, tattoos, hair dying, contacts/glasses and high fashion could be considered "cosmetic surgery". It's changing your appearance to better "conform", right? The difference is, this procedure uses a knife. OH MYY GODD! YOU ARE SO GROSSS AND VAIINNN! YOU WOULD PUT YOURSELF UNDER A KNIFE TO LOOK BETTER?!?! I AM SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU!!! Grow up, child.
    Says the woman using all caps to get her mangled point across..

It's not about you. It's about me, and how I feel. You deal with yourself, and keep your ignorant and foolish comments to yourself.
    Well then you keep your picture from floating around this big scary thing called the internet where (gasp) people will have an opinion!

I want to feel good when I look in the mirror.
    Have you tried taping a picture of a supermodel over it?

Granted, I will do everything in my power OUTSIDE of using a knife to achieve this, but I want to feel attractive. I want to be happy with me inside AND out. Your opinion sucks.
    Then I suggest therapy, and truckloads of antidepressants.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator View Post
    The best PS is that which subtly improves the person yet doesn't take away their uniqueness, like someone said earlier once Jennifer Grey did her nose she lost all her unique beauty and because just another perfect looking plain girl.
    totally agree. there's nothing wrong with PS as long as it's done with good taste and moderation, to improve what is already there, not transform you into someone else.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Brace, dying, contact lenses, etc, are not plastic surgery. Period.
    I think her point was more general: that these are all artificial means of conforming to some standard of beauty, to improve on one's natural appearance. None of that mess is god-given,either. Period.
    I do understand why some people would want rhinoplasty, or the like. I don't understand why someone would want breast implants though, thats kind of beyond me. To me it seems so unnecessary.
    Please explain to me how a nose job is more necessary than a boob job. 95% of this shit isn't necessary, that's not the point of ps. That's why most insurance companies won't cover ps: it isn't medically necessary. I'll come right out and say that the double standards chap my ass. Essentially, it amounts to this:anything I would consider doing is okay, but the other stuff is just weird, creepy, or unnecessary. People always seem to make little exceptions when judging others depending on how much someone else's choices mirror their own. I've said it before and I'll say it again: some people on this board have major boob issues. It's almost like they are trying to convince themselves that their small, deflated, lopsided, you name it boobs are so superior to those with implants. The old saying thou dost protest too much comes to mind. I'm sorry, but it does. People here act like breast augmentation is the worst oppressor of women, that it's the one surgery that hurts all women collectively more than any other, and that's bullshit. Like I said on another thread, how is having the fat sucked out of your ass any less vain? How is having your wrinkles injected away any less a sign of insecurity than anything else? We are all insecure, ps or no ps, at least about something. Just because some avoid ps for whatever reason doesn't mean that they agonize any less over their perceived flaws any more than people who go under the knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinky View Post
    What if... what if these people you are critiquing look into the mirror every day and say, "I hate you. I hate you, and you are a hideous human that doesn't deserve to live." .
    People who are doing that need a psychologist. NOT a plastic surgeon.

^I agree StayYoung&Pretty (that was a long one to type! )
    People who feel THAT bad about themselves are NOT going to be cured by PS-PS is not a miracle cure. Even if you fix one thing, your obviously serious issues will be transferred to another part of your body anyway.

It is only frowned upon by people who cant afford it.
    Boom, I got your boyfriend, boom I got your man.

So does that mean you've had plastic surgery?

i admit i have a bias when it comes to breast implants. i had a breast reduction which i don't consider cosmetic since there is a large comfort factor (insurance paid for mine too, it's one of the few procedures insurance will pay for) because big boobs are a pain (literally), clothes don't fit properly and they make you look top heavy...and i guess it's just beyond me that people would want to put plastic bags under their skin. i can understand PS to take stuff out or make a nose finer, but boob jobs belong in another category. like i said before, to me PS is about working with what you have and making subtle improvements. i can understand breast lifts, for instance. but implants, because of the risk involved, and because it goes so far beyond improving what you already have, are in a different, more negative category. maybe it also has to do with the fact that i think it's ridiculous that so many women seem to think their being feminine and womanly depends on their bra size, and because frankly most boob jobs look fake. i don't mean to offend those with implants, just stating my own personal opinion.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sinnergirl View Post
    It is only frowned upon by people who cant afford it.
    Sheer nonsense, but if it makes you feel better...by all means believe it.

Sputnik, many women like myself had boob jobs because our boobies fell flat & to our knees after breastfeeding.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. February 7th, 2007, 12:40 AM

Thread Information