Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is plastic surgery so frowned upon?

Bronze Member

^^And if that's your preference, then that's fine and no one should tell you that what you're choosing to do or not to do is wrong. I'm just saying that anyone who decides otherwise shouldn't be ridiculed for it, and their decisions should be respected just the same.

Maybe people considering PS bad or ridiculous or redundant is the way to reduce it and to avoid its spreading like a disease. Making it normal and acceptable is a good way to encourage it and with it, to encourage people feeling like crap about themselves, especially if they can't afford PS.

^I totally agree. I dont have a problem with people doing it, but I DO have a problem with people criticizing other people who dont make that choice, for example; someone with a large nose not having rhinoplasty, or someone with small breasts not having an enlargement. It makes me mad when people say things like 'she needs a nose job, or she needs breast implants'. NO ONE needs plastic surgery, no one NEEDS it, its an option and i have to agree that some people need to see psychiatrists more than they need to see a plastic surgeon. Plus its vanity. I dont care what anyone says. You have to be vain to some extent to go and alter some part of your appearance. And are you insecure yourself, or are you concerned about how society perceives you? Because who decides whats acceptable and what isn't?

I think that's the problem though. Not only on these boards, but everywhere, people with "imperfections" are criticised, made fun of, and told that they're unattractive. PS is a problem because it perpetuates an impossible ideal, and we forget what true beauty is. Audrey Hepburn and Ingrid Bergman, for example, were two exceptionally beautiful women---Audrey Hepburn is considered the most beautiful woman who ever lived--and they were full of wonderful imperfections, including "big" noses.

Now we make fun of Ashlee Simpson for getting PS, but then we say, "BUT SHE LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER." That's a mixed message if I've ever heard one. It wasn't the outside that was making her ugly, and no matter how "perfect" she looks, she's still ugly.

Plastic surgery should be a last-resort (those who need reconstruction). As for facelifts and whatnot, hey, people can do what they want with their bodies. That's their right. But it's gotten out of control---we're living in a plastic, phony society. Who cares about the inside, we just have to look good on the outside, because being "pretty" is what we think life is all about.

Bronze Member

Wow...if Audrey Hepburn and Ingrid Bergman had big noses then I'm in some serious effing trouble.

I wonder how many celebrities had work done back then...I bet more than anyone would guess.

Lily, it's not the same people who make fun of both categories of people. I personally first got into boards like this to criticise and to make fun of plastic surgery morons (not a coincidence that a lot of us probably started out from APS). I love it when people insist on keeping their "flaws" (as some call them) or personality giving traits (as I think of them), like Kirsten Dunst and her teeth. I love it when people dare to rock what they have to work with and don't resort to the "easy" way out. As for Asslee Simpson, you will never hear me say that she looks much better now, because she looks like a plastic freak and nothing like herself.
    So if you get mixed messages, it's not because there is a double standard per se, but because there are many people here with lots of contradicting opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by lalkinds View Post
    Wow...if Audrey Hepburn and Ingrid Bergman had big noses then I'm in some serious effing trouble. .
    Goodness, Audrey Hepburn's nose big? I DONT THINK SO!

Audrey Hepburn's nose was unusual, and considered "big"--not a button nose. Ingrid Bergman had a great nose.

I'm not attacking any one person--but boards like these really do give mixed messages. Beauty, of course, is in the eye of the beholder--but there are people who can be particularly harsh about someone's imperfections. Just sayin'.

^Oh yeah, I totally agree with you, it happens. I personally think people should get real and criticise PS a lot more than they nitpick natural traits. But yeah, you can't get a single message on a message board with so many members..It happens everywhere.

Bronze Member

I don't think that there's anything wrong with a little plastic surgery, but those people who get way too much of it should be restrained and helped.

Bronze Member

I need to chime in on this old thread.

I have had many struggling feelings over plastic surgery, but after much self discovery in the last two years and doing a lot of studying/research, I can come to the conclusion that "self improvement" through cosmetic surgery is fine on a person-to-person basis.

The fact of the matter is: you don't know me. You don't know what I've been through, and you don't know how I feel when I look in the mirror.

Another fact is: you don't know Ashlee Simpson. You don't know Pamela Anderson. You don't know the person who has had plastic surgery, and why? Because YOU AREN'T THEM. WHY would you feel the need to judge someone you don't know? That seems just as shallow as the plastic surgery you're lambasting!

What if... what if these people you are critiquing look into the mirror every day and say, "I hate you. I hate you, and you are a hideous human that doesn't deserve to live." Of course, this isn't true. Everyone is beautiful, no matter what. It doesn't matter WHO you are, or WHAT you come from, or what color skin you have or how your nose is shaped. Beauty is highly subjective, but another fact of the matter is we are brainwashed to think there is "beautiful", and then there is "you".

And you will hear those two things your entire life. AND IT HURTS. It hurts on the inside, where it's supposed to count. So I think plastic surgery is perfectly fine, and I think if you're in spritual turmoil over if you should get it or not, ask the only person that matters: YOU. Will you be okay with yourself after the procedure? Will you feel more sexy? Is it purely to get laid, or is it so you can be happy in the mirror? Will you have a problem with yourself for life if you don't go through with this?

You people who have a problem with plastic surgery, I pity you. It's none of your fucking business what I want to do with MYSELF. You know... the person I live with every day? How dare you judge me when you don't take the time to know me. YOU are the problem. Not us.

Furthermore, cosmetic surgery is a highly objective term to begin with. Technically, braces, tattoos, hair dying, contacts/glasses and high fashion could be considered "cosmetic surgery". It's changing your appearance to better "conform", right? The difference is, this procedure uses a knife. OH MYY GODD! YOU ARE SO GROSSS AND VAIINNN! YOU WOULD PUT YOURSELF UNDER A KNIFE TO LOOK BETTER?!?! I AM SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU!!! Grow up, child. It's not about you. It's about me, and how I feel. You deal with yourself, and keep your ignorant and foolish comments to yourself. I want to feel good when I look in the mirror. Granted, I will do everything in my power OUTSIDE of using a knife to achieve this, but I want to feel attractive. I want to be happy with me inside AND out. Your opinion sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinky View Post
    WHY would you feel the need to judge someone you don't know?
    Gossip site. By definition, that's what we're here for.
    You people who have a problem with plastic surgery, I pity you. It's none of your fucking business what I want to do with MYSELF. You know... the person I live with every day? How dare you judge me when you don't take the time to know me. YOU are the problem. Not us.
    Nobody is judging YOU.

It's not about you. It's about me, and how I feel. You deal with yourself, and keep your ignorant and foolish comments to yourself. Your opinion sucks.
    Well, that's your opinion. Just because someone disagrees with you does not make them either foolish or ignorant.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Technically, braces, tattoos, hair dying, contacts/glasses and high fashion could be considered "cosmetic surgery".
    Not really...(maybe except for braces though). How can wearing contacts/glasses be considered SURGERY? Surgeries require one to be operated on by a licensed medical professional and in most cases, they are invasive. Altering one's appearance does not automatically translate into SURGERIES and could not technically be considered cosmetic surgery.

Definitions
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/operation

op·er·a·tion (p-rshn)
    n.
    1. A surgical procedure, usually using instruments, for remedying an injury, an ailment, a defect, or a dysfunction.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/surgery
    sur·ger·y (sûr'jə-rē) Pronunciation Key
    n. pl. sur·ger·ies

1. The branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of injury, deformity, and disease by manual and instrumental means.
    2. A surgical operation or procedure, especially one involving the removal or replacement of a diseased organ or tissue.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Furthermore, cosmetic surgery is a highly objective term to begin with. Technically, braces, tattoos, hair dying, contacts/glasses and high fashion could be considered "cosmetic surgery". It's changing your appearance to better "conform", right? The difference is, this procedure uses a knife. OH MYY GODD! YOU ARE SO GROSSS AND VAIINNN! YOU WOULD PUT YOURSELF UNDER A KNIFE TO LOOK BETTER?!?! I AM SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU!!! Grow up, child. It's not about you. It's about me, and how I feel. You deal with yourself, and keep your ignorant and foolish comments to yourself. I want to feel good when I look in the mirror. Granted, I will do everything in my power OUTSIDE of using a knife to achieve this, but I want to feel attractive. I want to be happy with me inside AND out. Your opinion sucks.
    Uhh, EXCUSE ME, did you not read the title of this board?? It is "Gossip Rocks" if you didn't notice. Gossip, as in talking about celebrity others that we do not know personally. If you're so offended by us exercising our guarenteed by the Bill Of Rights option of freedom of speech I suggest you leave the same way you came in. How dare you lecture us as to what is and isn't fit to talk about.

Brace, dying, contact lenses, etc, are not plastic surgery. Period.

Well I think IMO that is that if youu are not happy with something to the point of obssesing about it daily whether it be boobs forehead saggy jowls or floppy belly and you have enough money and guts and determination (bravery is very much involved) and you feel it is your business what you do with your body, how you see your body how you want others to see you, (if thats an issue too), then belly up to the counter at the plastic surgeons office and get the ball rolling.
    Yes I have had a mid face lift, wasnt happywith just that though cos my forehead was still like a neanderthals, so I fixed that too. Its what I wanted, yet strangley its my damn teeth that still let me down. I have spent more on them than the 2 surgeries, and will always have to be maintained. If you dont care about yourself, you dont care about anything else. Some people will beg to differ of course.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. February 7th, 2007, 12:40 AM

Thread Information