Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is plastic surgery so frowned upon?

I admit, I get irriated with society and plastic surgery. I hate being a part of a disposible culture. However, I still feel that surgury can do good things. I have implants- smaller ones. However, I feel that in a couple years I may plan to have the reconstructive surgery, and have them removed.

My reason for the surgury to begin with was that when I was 19, I was so flat chested that I still looked like I was 12. Now I'm 27, so I don't really care feeling 12. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by thrpschr View Post
    My problem with PS is mostly that people in general do seem to have unrealistic expectations. I don't think that plastic surgery can fix a failing self-esteem, a body image problem, or plain, simple unhappiness; but a lot of people seem to use it to try to cure those kinds of problems.

I simply think that in many cases, in terms of mental and emotional well-being, the money people spend on PS would have been better spent on some counseling, a long vacation, a move, a career change, or some other lifestyle change. There's no way I would spend it on PS, myself; I can think of a thousand things I'd rather spend 2000 dollars on.
    Very good reply, I agree with you
    I think it's great that PS has evolved so much over the years. And I think it's a great tool when it's used on people who have PHYSICAL DEFORMITIES that seriously affect their lives in a negative way. Especially when we're talking about children.
    PS used by hags who think that breast implants and a shitload of botox will make them look 30 years younger is wrong.
    PS that involves giving implants to vain people that look perfectly human and alright, but just can't live with B cups is absurd and ridiculous.
    It just baffles me that people spend so much time and money and go through so much pain to fit into a little box designed by what huge industries dictate is "sexy" or "desirable". Famous people have a lot of pressure on them and I kinda understand that, but real people should be smarter than to fall into the trap of hating themselves because they don't look like a celeb...And it is pathetic what we use the science and the resources we have at our disposal for. Absolutely horrible, when there are people in the world that don't even have running water or food or a home.

Silver Member

But see, not everyone has PS to fit into some small box that society sets, and not all people that have PS hate themselves. For instance, I don't like the shape or size of my nose. If I had enough money, I'm sure I'd get a nose job. But not to get some turned-up little button nose that seems to be the "in look" in Hollywood. I'm sure that even after PS, my nose would not fit into the cookie-cutter mode that some people here seem to be talking about. But the fact is, I really don't care what other people think about how I look; it's how I feel that counts.

But I don't have the money now. I'm focusing on finishing school and doing more important things first.

So in that case, if I have the extra money, why would it be so bad for me or someone like me to get PS? Sure, it may be vanity, but I think almost everyone is at least a little vain. If it's an issue of some people in the world not having food or running water, would I get the same criticism if I spent PS money on a vacation or a nice, but unnecessary car instead?

I take pills to make my boobs bigger so that they are more proportional to my body type. Does that make me as "pathetic" as people who get PS?

Besides, people who have PS don't all look the same, so it's not like everyone is trying to fit into one standard. Some people get butt implants because they like that look, but then on the other hand people get fat sucked out of their butts to make them smaller. So for many people, PS isn't about fitting into one "little box," but to get the look that they may like personally.

That is your opinion, of course, on why people actually have PS when they don't need it at all. I may have a different opinion.
    I just find it amazing that surgery has become so incredibly mainstream, when some people are even afraid to get it if they're sick. I think that most people take it too lightly and don't think about all the shit that goes wrong very, very often, or the fact that once you start with a lot of PS procedures, you consistently have to go back again and again and again to fix and maintain it. I don't even know where people get the money. And I do think that they're influnced by pop culture trash. Most of them. I can't speak for all of them of course.

Silver Member

Now I can definitely agree with you when you say that some people take it lightly. People don't do their homework and sometimes don't even check to see if their doctor is board certified. Then later they find out that their doctor has been banned from practicing in 5 other states or some craziness like that. And I'm sure some people are influenced by pop culture, but I'm really not sure that it's most. Like you said though, I also can't speak for everyone. So I guess maybe on some points we'll just have to respectfully disagree. I just don't like to get lumped into a category of people without first explainining my side, so I was just trying to show a different perspective.

No problem there, in disagreeing respectfully I mean. I guess I just can't understand it basically. Why so many plain and simple everyday people like me and you (I'm assuming), not rich, not famous, would bother with that shit and not just try and look their best and work what they've got in more normal ways. In most cases, what you are is already beautiful and adequate and dignified.
    If I sound negative and close-minded about this, it's because I would love for people to love themselves a little more, that's all, and not put themselves through so much crap just to look fake. It's all out of good intentions, believe me!

Quote Originally Posted by NawdleZouss View Post
    I am vehemently against cosmetic plastic surgery. It represents everything I hate about modern society. Superficiality, misogyny, herd mentality.

Assuming that the majority of cosmetic plastic surgeries are done to better resemble the modern perceptions of beauty, which seems accurate to say, then first off, you're letting other people define beauty. No one is born thinking "large" noses or "small" breasts are ugly. You're letting other people set personal standards for you. You're letting other people change you. So in a way, that just encourages the practice of judging people based solely on their appearance.

Second, it seems to be a symptom of someone very insecure. To put themselves through a dramatic and unnecesary physical change, risk their health and possibly their lives to live up to some plastic ideal? To let other people's opinions affect them so deeply as to go through all of that? Seen like that, does it seem like something an emotionally balanced person would do?

And third, basically what Melzawelza said. Their shouldn't be this kind of standard for beauty in the first place, and by having cosmetic plastic surgery, you're just ensuring it'll last; thus leading to more stigma for women and girls who don't fit the ideal. To me, that's irresponsible.

Bottom line, for me is that you're born unique and beautiful. Other people may find that ugly; it's their right to do so. But they don't matter. You matter. Why so something so damaging to yourself instead of just learning to stand up to the hurtful comments and tell them to go fuck themselves right in the ear?

I consider myself a very rational person, but I base all of this from the fact that I didn't use to be. Until recently, I was very, very unhappy with the way I looked. But when I got my act together, one of the things I noticed was that I shouldn't have been. I'm no beauty. My breasts are much too big for my tiny frame, I'm overweight, my nose is too wide from my otherwise nonremarkable face, and a million other asinine little flaws, products of social conditioning. But if they're a part of me, I'm going to deal with them. I'm going to make the most of them and love them, because being "beautiful" or not, is just not important. There are so many more important things that I can do with my time than obsess over my looks. Just the way someone's race, gender or orientation shouldn't be considered wrong, or be a factor in judging someone, or a matter of deep personal concern, your looks shouldn't be.

[/rant]
    I am quoting the whole post that NawdleZouss wrote because I don't think that I could have expressed better what I feel about plastic surgery.

Also, besides top models, I don't really see why an actress/actor or a singer would need PS: aren't they supposed to be good at acting or singing?
    Who cares if they look perfect, if they can't do their job?

Quote Originally Posted by Melyanna View Post
    Also, besides top models, I don't really see why an actress/actor or a singer would need PS: aren't they supposed to be good at acting or singing?
    Who cares if they look perfect, if they can't do their job?
    I agree completely! This obsession with looks has severely damaged the quality of music and movies these days. I don't care how people look, as long as they are talented, really. Who the fuck cares if so and so has big tits, if they can't sing, then they should not be on the radio, period. We have enough shit in showbusiness already, we don't need more.

My cousin is what you will call big. But in my opinion she is beautiful and she has often guys around her that really likes her. Why? Because of her smile. She is so full of life and easy to like.

I agree with plastic surgery WHEN it's needed- like reconstruction after an accident.
    Also, if someone feels better by having bigger boobs or wrinkles-free face, or a lyposuction...I'm ok with that.
    I'm not ok with surgeons letting patients abuse themselves in the most grotesque ways- too big tits,nose,lips...you name it.
    The cosmetic docs should be regulated more.
    And patients should have to go through a test of some sorts-to see why and IF they are mentally and phisycally(sp?) better off by having surgery.
    ----------------------

Respect is given when respect is deserved.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

JUST WANTED TO POINT OUT THAT NOT HAVING PS DOESN'T MEAN THAT ONE IS SECURE WITH THEMSELVES, EITHER. I personally know many people who hate their bellies, vericose veins, droopy boobs, etc and are very self-conscious about it. Just because they cannot spend money on surgery to fix it doesn't mean they are A-OK with how they look. Everyone has insecurities, ps or no ps. How about women who won't have ps but are in an endless string of abusive relationships? No one is free of insecurity.

sorry for the caps, nothing was intended by that.

People are more insecure about their looks now than ever before. Probably because we're bombarbed every day with images of the 'perfect body', the 'perfect face'. I think its really dangerous to pay too much attention to that. Its just a shallow, very superficial world, where on one hand we're taught to accept our bodies and be happy with what we have, and then we're given the option of plastic surgery, which doesn't always change the way we feel about ourselves, just like the anorexic who cant stop losing weight because she still sees a fat person. The flaw IS NOT THERE, but the mind makes people think it is. Times have changed though, theres always been beautiful actresses and models, but now people are too obsessed with them to the point where they must look like them too.

Happiness always comes from within; and the decent plastic surgeon wont operate on someone who actually needs to see a therapist or a psychiatrist more than they need a nip or tuck. And from what I've heard, obsession with ones appearance is not as innocent as it sounds. In some cases it can mean a person is absolutely NEVER satsified with what they see in the mirror, and usually, what they see is very distorted and its now how everyone else sees them. The disorder is called Body Dysmorphic Disorder. And surgeons are advised not to operate on people who have it.

^^That's exactly why I said people should be forced by law to have a psychiatric assesment before undergoing PS.

And the surgeons to be limited by stronger laws and regulations in regards of the work they are allowed to do- or not - on a patient.

Just look at Jacko- perfect example of why certain patients and certain CS doctors should never be allowed around an operation theathre.
    ----------------------

Respect is given when respect is deserved.

Bronze Member

I think it is incredibly unfair for those who are against PS to judge those who have gotten it (not saying anyone on this board is doing it, but there are many people who do). They are not harming anyone else, they are simply trying to do something for themselves...maybe not always for the right reasons or with realistic expectations, but nonetheless, it's a personal decision that should be respected. My mom had a facelift after my dad died a few years back, and I think it was partially because suddenly being thrust into the dating scene again after 25 years of marriage was terrifying for her. Older men are interested in younger women...it's not okay for women to age in this society. It's sad, but true. It's too bad that we live in a society that places such an emphasis on physical beauty and youth, but you can't blame people for trying to survive and live happily in it.

^Maybe we should be trying to change the fact that being natural and aging like a human being is not okay for women, instead of feeding into it. Just a thought. That is my preference anyway. And that is what I basically try to apply to my own life.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. February 7th, 2007, 12:40 AM

Thread Information