Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is plastic surgery so frowned upon?

Elite Member

Default Re: Why is plastic surgery so frowned upon?

I think it's looked down upon predominantly because of envy. The majority of the world can't have surgery so those who do are considered egotistical or vain. It's a stigma.

I'm for it. I've never had any procedure, I don't think I'm old enough but I don't look down upon those who do. I'm a firm believer that our bodies are so temporary. It's just flesh and bone, we die and it rots. It's the spirit I'm more concerned about. If you want to nip and tuck, go for it. This body of ours isn't forever so make it work for you however you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyGirl
    I think it's looked down upon predominantly because of envy. The majority of the world can't have surgery so those who do are considered egotistical or vain. It's a stigma.

I'm for it. I've never had any procedure, I don't think I'm old enough but I don't look down upon those who do. I'm a firm believer that our bodies are so temporary. It's just flesh and bone, we die and it rots. It's the spirit I'm more concerned about. If you want to nip and tuck, go for it. This body of ours isn't forever so make it work for you however you see fit.
    Excellent post, PrettyGirl!

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ
    not true...the majority of plastic surgery is good, especially now-a-days since most surgeons have moved away from the cookie cutter stuff.

we only notice plastic surgery when it's bad. because good plastic surgery is completely natural.
    Totally agree!
    "Never wrap it up, never pull out. Just grind up the morning after pill in her scrambled eggs at sunrise, she'll appreciate that you made her breakfast."

Bronze Member

Something tells me that South Lake lives in California....
    That would explain her warped view about beauty. The old "Do whatever makes you feel good on a superficial level" attitude.

Women in our society are trained to not only obsess over their looks, but practically to base their sense of self-worth on how they FEEL about their looks. Along comes plastic surgery, which enables anyone to get rid of anything about their appearance with which they are not totally happy. So now you get hundreds of thousands of women who start to think of cosmetic surgery as not only a reasonable option, but sometimes even necessary. They go under the knife to eliminate characteristics about themselves that in many cases aren't even ugly, and may even only enhance their beauty by making them a little distinctive. More people see other women doing so, they start doing it themselves. The cycle continues, and where does it end?

At what point will women in this sick culture of ours start to regain their sense of self-respect?

Quote Originally Posted by asina
    Something tells me that South Lake lives in California....
    That would explain her warped view about beauty. The old "Do whatever makes you feel good on a superficial level" attitude.
    Um.. PrettyGirl says that she's "for plastic surgery", SVZ thinks it's good, I agree with them, and you pick me out to say that my view is "warped"?

Why don't you address everyone that agrees with me?

I post a thread saying "I agree" and suddenly my view is warped?

If that's warped, so be it. I think people have the right to do as they please. if they want plastic surgery, it's their choice and who am I to deny them, judge them, make proclamations about their self-esteem, etc. I'm not. I'm all for doing what's best for you
    "Never wrap it up, never pull out. Just grind up the morning after pill in her scrambled eggs at sunrise, she'll appreciate that you made her breakfast."

SVZ

would you believe this woman had plastic surgery?

her entire face was redone, she was seriously mangled in a motorcycle accident.

that's what i mean by good plastic surgery, she looks 100% natural.

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ

would you believe this woman had plastic surgery?

her entire face was redone, she was seriously mangled in a motorcycle accident.

that's what i mean by good plastic surgery, she looks 100% natural.
    but that reconstructive surgery. I had a serious accident that sliced half my face off, and I still have to go back for cosmetic surgery, and I'm not really for PS in the ways it's being used nowadays. If you feel badly about a part of yoru body, then get it done, I don't want to stop you, but I highly doubt it's envy when people frown upon it. It's so affordable now that anyone can get it.

But surgery hurts SO DAMN MUCH, and is such a sacrifice, with the risk of dying (like the First Wives' Club author), that why would I want to do it? just for the sake of vanity? I have a scar that runs the length of one side omy face, and I just have to deal with it. I wouldn't have any more surgeries if it wasn't for the fact that I can't close my eye fully. I'd rather deal with the imperfections...
    Talent Works, Genius Creates

I just see it this way; there'd be alot less celebrities if there was no such thing as plastic surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    I'm all for natural. I think plastic surgery is an unecessary risk taken. Surgeries should be done only when health or reconstruction issues are on the line, IMO. Besides, it's rare that a plastic surgery actually makes one look good.

Although I do respect the fact that some people actually feel better having the procedure done (like one of my best friends: she had a nose job, it looks great and natural and she's happy). In my case, I just wouldn't do it. I'm pretty happy with the way I look (I'm not perfect, but I learned to accept myself the way that I am), and in the future I wanna be my age looking just my age instead of my age + plastic surgery.
    Eh hem. You're beautiful and still young by your pic. Just wait til you start getting wrinkles or circles. It's daunting.

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by glamazon View Post
    but that reconstructive surgery. I had a serious accident that sliced half my face off, and I still have to go back for cosmetic surgery, and I'm not really for PS in the ways it's being used nowadays. If you feel badly about a part of yoru body, then get it done, I don't want to stop you, but I highly doubt it's envy when people frown upon it. It's so affordable now that anyone can get it.
    I was trying to point out that even though she's had extensive surgery, she still looks really natural That's what I mean, that not all plastic surgery looks fake, just the bad ones.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonlady View Post
    So I think it's possible to see something about yourself that you don't like and want to change it, without getting the idea because of what someone else says. If a woman thinks she looks better with red hair rather than blonde, it might not be because people were laughing at her for having blonde hair rather than red. Now I do understand that there's a difference between dying hair and plastic surgery, but my point is that I'm not letting others set standards for me. If I had 1000 people come up to me and tell me my nose was perfect, I would still want to change it because its not what I want.
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by PlasticGirl View Post
    What most people dont realise is that we only see the BAD surgery, TONS of people have GOOD surgery. Being good is why we dont see it!
    I have fake boobs, and i'd rather have plastic filled bags that be flat chested, or have droopy ones thanks. They hold all my tops up, and they're small and understated. I see why people here have a problem with them though.
    But thats just my opinion.

I totally agree with you. I have implants, theyre small and a great shape. Most people dont know I have them bc they assume all implants are all stripper-esq, being large and hard and unnatural looking. Mine are totally proportionate to my body

Youre right, most people dont realize that they see tons of ppl who have had plastic surgery every day, bc its not obvious. From implants to nose jobs especially. The number of moms I know with implants astounds me bc Id never have guessed it, but alot more than some may think have them.

I don't think there is any harm in it but I don't think it's a "positive" thing, necessarily. I think every person has the potential to be uniquely beautiful, and to go to a plastic surgeon to "fix" things to look like what is considered "conventionally beautiful" is sad, in my opinion. Of course there are special cases (corrective procedures to fix accidental injuries etc.) but overall, I don't like plastic surgery and I think it's a negative thing. Too many people get carried away with it, and the more people that do it the more we as a society will end up looking like manufactured barbies. I hate that.

I think its a beautiful concept to be able to surgically improve something about your appearence...your intentions, not the plastic surgery itself, is what can be questionable.

If ur having something done bc u want to be like paris hilton or bc u feel pressured by "society" to look a certain way, theres an inherient flaw w ur personal intentions NOTa flaw w plastic surgery

But if its not vanity, or trying to live up to society's expectations, what is a persons reason for plastic surgery? Thats what I have to wonder.

how about just wanting to improve something about your physical appearance to make yourself happier. beauty is in the eye of the beholder. if you are truly changing something about your physical appearance bc you PREFER the way something else looks, I think thats fine. There are some people who say they think small breasts, big noses, and thick skin is more beautiful and unique than full breasts, small turned up noses, and thin bodies...but I feel that both are a matter of preference, and not that the former is more intuned with "unique beauty" and the latter is a "victim of society"...

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. February 7th, 2007, 12:40 AM

Thread Information