Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Why is plastic surgery so frowned upon?

I can understand it being tall and flat-chested to that extent. I just hope you aren't going for the knee shooters!

On one hand I think taller girls can usually get away with going a little bigger. But when they're too big it looks weird and 'not right' to me on a woman who is very thin and lean (especially if also narrow) everywhere else.

I guess because basically, breasts (real ones anyway) are fat. When I see sizeable breasts on a woman, it looks more natural to me if she also has some hips or at least a normal amount of body fat as opposed to being ripped.

Fake tits looking fake is not just about being able to see the outline of an implant, or being too round and bulbous like they are going to explode because something too large was shoved into a chest cavity too small to accomodate it.

On a couple girls I have known personally, they looked fake...and in a way that was not as flattering as it could have been if they'd just gone with a size or two smaller...because the girls (although they had height going for them) were very thin and lean and narrow everywhere else. Where as if they'd been pretty normal sized/bodyfat tall women who happened to have very flat chests they could have gotten away with those D's (or D+'s).

Am I making any sense?
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I think it just depends on each individual body type- every woman wants a different look. I would not want to go too large, but I do want them to be large enough to feel proportionate to my height.

I can see what you mean about very thin girls getting too-large implants, it does not look "real" but maybe the fake look is what they are going for?

Hit By Ban Bus!

MrsDark is right, there is something to consider about ANYONE getting D's. Mine are C's and they are heavy. I cannot imagine having D's. As you get older you do sag a bit even with implants. veronabrit if you are young, take that into consideration. Personally, it sounds like you need to go with a small B cup. There are 3 sizes within each letter size, if I'm not mistaken. I think mine are small C's. You'll look quite nice with a small B or a true B from the description you gave of your body.

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    MrsDark is right, there is something to consider about ANYONE getting D's. Mine are C's and they are heavy. I cannot imagine having D's. As you get older you do sag a bit even with implants. veronabrit if you are young, take that into consideration. Personally, it sounds like you need to go with a small B cup. There are 3 sizes within each letter size, if I'm not mistaken. I think mine are small C's. You'll look quite nice with a small B or a true B from the description you gave of your body.

thanks for the imput, but i find you have to take other people's opinions with a grain of salt when it comes to any plastic surgery procedure because it seems like everyone thinks they know what will look good. I would not undergo that kind of a surgery to end up with a small B or even a full B cup. That is not the result I want, and for my height, would still feel too small. I know you said "based on the way i described my body" but i guess unless you have actually seen it, it would be difficult to determine what would look good on my body.

I think for anyone considering PS, you have to trust your surgeon and dicuss the exact look you want. I go to a lot of breast augmentation message boards and many women on those boards think they are "armchair surgeons" and dish out advice left right and center and this confuses and makes many women second guess their choices. I just think when it comes down to it,if you choose an ethical surgeon they will try to give you the results you want while also decreasing the chance of complications.

Hit By Ban Bus!

So you're going for C's then? I don't doubt your judgment, I was just picturing what the description you gave. I've thought of going slightly smaller, but my feeling is that I'm stretched out now... I'd have to check with a doctor to make sure though (my original Dr. is 1000 miles away). One can always go bigger but smaller is tricky, say if you change your mind later.

There is something else that I want to share. My uncle told me I was going to go through a second adolescence. I thought he was nuts and told him so. He said, "you'll see". Well, he was right. Once I had wonderful breasts which were a cup size larger than I originally had, I looked fantastic. I mean, BOOBS. Guys went ape-shit and they would follow me. That I had never experienced in my life. I could no longer wear the cute little stretchy tops without a bra, and certain bathing suits were now out of the question. Still, I didn't regret having it done, and I still don't. But things do change. Drastically, for most women.

"Boob men" came out of the woodwork, and I had to learn for the first time in my life in a very intense way to separate lust from true attraction. All women have to learn this, but especially women with features that men have a preference for. In high school and college my nickname was A Minus Ass, because I had a JLo butt. I LOATHED it, clothing did not fit, and it was very embarrassing to me. That was during a time when nice round butts were not in fashion... not at all. So when the boobs came and I had a body like Marilyn Monroe, I mean certain guys would just go crazy and not take their eyes off me, and not stop hounding me. It was psycho in some cases.

All of that was so new, so wondrous, so exciting, and so confusing. I would venture to say that most – if not all – women who get cosmetic surgery go through that phase. And hopefully it is a phase that most women move through easily, with proper perspective and with dignity. But I doubt that many do. It's a very interesting time, and one has to keep things in perspective.

There will be a temptation to play up your breasts and feature them, because you feel so good about your body, and your self-esteem goes up. Clothing fits better if what you were looking for is more symmetry, and you look great naked.

All of these are basically good things, it's just important to realize that there is a mental and emotional adjustment as well as a physical one - and it's just as real and important - I would say even more so.
    Last edited by Mira; March 18th, 2007 at 10:56 AM.

Hi Mira,

thanks for posting that, it is so true...I am definately preparing myself to go through a second adolesence. Luckily, I have not had trouble ever being noticed...I was always considered "attractive" but i know a girl who is very pretty and got hers done and she says that when you have boobs, even if you were pretty before, you'll notice even MORE men hitting on you and looking at you.

I think I will for sure go through a phase where i was to show them off, but hey, i've never been able to do that before so I feel it is a right of passage in a sense, for me. I also realize that showing boobs isnt always appropriate so of course i will limit this to my personal time.

I imagine i will have a high boost in self esteem from having this surgery, but I have also heard of the "boobie blues" where women can get very depressed after surgery and I am preparing myself for that also.

thanks for that post

One can always go bigger but smaller is tricky, say if you change your mind later.
    Excellent point and great post as usual. My doctor told me if I wanted to start out small and allow tissue to grow and skin to adjust, he would increase the size for me with the only cost being surgical room costs. Basically it would be half the price of the first procedure.

Veronabrit, it sounds like you did your research and that's great. All the best with your upcoming procedure.

thanks

Hit By Ban Bus!

Very good point, veronabrit, about the "rite of passage". THAT it definitely is. You have the advantage of all these years of our society getting adjusted to the phenomenon, so you can truly enjoy the rite.

I had mine done 18 years ago when it was still kept a deep secret. I mean, I had to stride up to the mean girls (some of them former friends) at high school reunions - "yeah, I had em done, get over it bitches!" Some of them loved that and loosened up, others thought I was a bitch for bitching them out about their stupid high school whispering and nudging. Doesn't matter... most of the ones that did that were bitches back then, and they haven't changed.

Mira,

I had a girl in High School who used to make fun of me for being skinny and flat chested. We both went to different universities but i saw her profile on facebook and she had gained about 30 pounds! she also had an online diary where she went on and on about how much she hated her body.

Karma? i think so.

Funny that she made fun of me so much and I used to go home crying because of how much of my confidence she destroyed (i am confident now, i mean in the past) and then she gained over 30 pounds and was ugly on the outside too!

the world works in mysterious ways

Hit By Ban Bus!

Those are the kind who don't show up at reunions... too bad. When you get to be my age, the tone changes at reunions. The last one I went to, there were some seriously messed up people, and many of the conversations were expressing deep concern and compassion.

People who were living with parents because they were completely incompetent mentally, complete drunks, people in wheelchairs, etc. It really does put perspective on the whole high school thing. It felt good that 98% of the people were feeling compassion instead of judgment. I've certainly had hard knocks in my life, but nothing like the above...

EDIT TO ADD: I forgot to mention that I SERIOUSLY doubt you will go through a depression or booby blues. You sound like someone who has the right kind of expectations - realistic - and like BIAB said, you've done your research well and your attitude is good. That's more than half the battle.

it is unfortunate when you see people you grew up with who have so much sadness in their lives. An ex-close friend of mine got in with an awful crowd and now she does a lot of drugs, drinks a lot etc...has changed her personality also. She has denied her problem and won't let me help her so i have stepped aside.

Its nice that people are compassionate. Everyone makes mistakes in life.

I think there's a natural tendency of the human species to want humans to look human. Yet at the same time, we like to think of ourselves and the people we know as unique.

Lots of times people who have PS lose what made them look special. The person we grew to know and love becomes a stranger.

There is a fear people who have PS will end up looking like cookie cutter duplicates of some bland ideal image.

There is also a fear they may miss the mark.

We are basically just trying to stop each other from running off the cliff and losing each other - we are all catchers in the rye.

The above was in answer to the original thread question - why is plastic surgery frowned upon? (not a response to the personal stories told at the end of the thread). I was thinking of facial plastic surgery when I answered the question. I'm not opposed to plastic surgery, but from an artistic standpoint, feel that less is more. Tweak rather than transform.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss A View Post
    The above was in answer to the original thread question - why is plastic surgery frowned upon? (not a response to the personal stories told at the end of the thread). I was thinking of facial plastic surgery when I answered the question. I'm not opposed to plastic surgery, but from an artistic standpoint, feel that less is more. Tweak rather than transform.
    that's exactly how i feel as well.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

LinkBacks (?)

1. February 7th, 2007, 12:40 AM

Thread Information