Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is plastic surgery so frowned upon?

...or possibly technology will bring new, safer, more effective methods of PS. You can't discount that possibility.

And yes, it's risky, and it's unethical for the industry to make impossible promises or hide the risks. But on the other hand, I can't blame it all on the industry-it's hard to feel sympathy for somebody who makes the decision without doing research. If you're spending a shitload of money and going for surgery, one would expect you'd make an effort to inform yourself of the risks beforehand.

My point is, many people are aware of the risks and make an informed decision. They're adults, their bodies, their decision. I knew the risks of smoking and chose to do it anyway-same goes for alcohol, drugs, certain foods, etc. People sometimes do things that are risky/not necessary because they like them.

Yeah, I can't discount it. And I hope it happens sooner than later that these awful devices are replaced with safer ones or, gosh, I don't know, SAFE ones? But seeing as the reaction of the body to foreign objects is the way it is, I don't think that is possible. I simply have a hard time swallowing that people see the evidence against implants and still go ahead with the whole thing. But then again, I also have a hard time believing that anyone would be stupid enough to go into this kind of surgery without delving into the tons of information on risks that is available to us very easily nowdays. But I know that there ARE people like latter, so there must be people like the former... I don't know what to tell you. I think this whole business is pure exploitation. I KNOW they are adults, yadda yadda. I can't see this as positive in any way. The thought of the fact that THIS is what people choose to do with their freedom, their bodies and their hard earned cash just bothers me immensely. And all I can do about that is try and tell people, I guess. Because obviously there are people who don't know or understand exactly what they are doing. Sorry if I am repeating myself and becomind tedious, but I see this as a huge problem for everyone, not just those that have them.

Quote Originally Posted by phishtickie View Post
    but I see this as a huge problem for everyone, not just those that have them.
    Ok, I'm trying to understand where you're coming from, but I fail to see how this is a problem for 'everyone'.

I'm not exactly pro-plastic surgery, I'm just not anti. Like I said, I'm too afraid of the risks/the results to personally get anything drastic myself (though as my gran used to say, never say big words, that may just change down the road), though I have no problems with injections/non-surgical procedures. I just don't see how people's personal decisions about their bodies affect me.

Sure, promoting impossible ideals, yadda yadda, but our very culture is full of nearly unattainable ideals of beauty-PS is not the cause of the phenomenon, simply a symptom of it. Some diet, others exercise, others spend a fortune on clothes/makeup, others need surgical help. Short of never opening a magazine/switching on the telly/ seeing a movie, there's no escaping the phenomenon.

It's a problem for me, obviously, because it frustrates me to no end how people think sometimes Meh, anyway, I just want people to be entirely aware of the risks, and judging by the huge amount of people going ahead with implants out there, I simply refuse to believe most people are entirely informed as they should be of the risks. Nothing more to do beyond that, they're adults and all that, they make their own decisions, but their decision making process also has to include the way other people judge them or see them when they make these decisions, I'm afraid. You decide to do it, you have to put up with the consequences in every way.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

To me, it's refreshing to see someone with as strong a conviction as Phishtickie disagreeing with implants and PS in general. It seems that our society and particularly women are becoming more and more plastic. I have to agree with her about gracefully aging, all the wrinkles whether smile lines or frown lines, and shrinking boobs are something one can be proud of IMO, it's something of an accomplishment, happy events that happened in your life that made you smile, obstacles and hardship you overcame, shrunken boobs from breastfeeding but the joy of raising babies/children, these are not bad things, memories you can cherish and you have your face/body to show for that. If our society weren't becoming so focused on superficial beauty and there were no pressure for us to keep up with our appearance so much so that we choose to put our bodies through invasive procedures with health risks, I think the world would be much better place. But unfortunately, that is not the reality. But to change the world, we have to first start changing the way we think and act.

(like I said many pages ago I don't disagree with reconstructive surgeries, and I don't usually judge people for having PS...maybe just the celebs )

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

as I do believe that once you get fake breasts, you BECOME the fake breasts over yourself
    Phisch: I'm sorry but how dare you tell someone that if they have implants they are no more than the two salt water bags they have in their chest. How dare you reduce a person's worth to any part of their body, enhanced or otherwise. You come off as nothing more than an arrogant bitch saying something like that. Everything else you say, even the valid points, are lost when you show your true colors which reveal a true animosity towards people who have had ps, breast implants in particular. Don't kid yourself, you've got issues.

But around the 10 year mark, I heard that they didn't have a lifetime expectancy of over 10 years, so I started looking things up on the internet. I think that I'm not supposed to be surprised if they rupture, since it's been 10 years. I quit worrying about it a year ago, and now I've forgotten what I looked up I'm liit happens, it happens, and I'll decide what to do at that time.
    My friend's doctor told her of patients who have had theirs 20 yrs and you don't get them replaced unless you need to due to rupture, whenever that may be.
    Originally Posted by Lobelia
    Wow, it's a heck of a day. I've been told in one thread that I'm not worthy of respect & I'm a self-mutilating fool in another. Maybe I should just call it a day!
    That post was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Wow, it's a heck of a day. I've been told in one thread that I'm not worthy of respect & I'm a self-mutilating fool in another. Maybe I should just call it a day!

Don't listen to them Lobes. You are great. I always look forward to reading your posts.
    Last edited by mammabear; February 13th, 2007 at 08:51 PM.
    Come on you guys, enough already. Let's ALL go and fuck ourselves for a few minutes and return to the thread refreshed and relaxed. Gossip Rocks poster A*O

It's a problem for me, obviously, because it frustrates me to no end how people think sometimes Meh, anyway, I just want people to be entirely aware of the risks, and judging by the huge amount of people going ahead with implants out there, I simply refuse to believe most people are entirely informed as they should be of the risks. Nothing more to do beyond that, they're adults and all that, they make their own decisions, but their decision making process also has to include the way other people judge them or see them when they make these decisions, I'm afraid. You decide to do it, you have to put up with the consequences in every way.
    I think many people are aware of the risks, but do it anyways. What's sad about PS is when it's done because of the pressures of society. I have a couple friends who have gotten boobs and lipo, not necessarily for themselves, but to attract men. One told me that there's a lot of competition in the singles world. This way she stood out from the crowd.

Thanks for the support, guys. It's pretty offensive & ridiculous to be told that I'm not a person anymore, because I am, like crumpet said, 2 bags of saline now.

And for those of you who think I should have just accepted my post-breastfeeding boobs, when it happens to you, then I'll listen to your opinion. Not before. Let's see how YOU like having normal breasts, only to see them turn into 2 southward-turned floppy triangles. No thank you, I'm fine with my decision.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Thanks for the support, guys. It's pretty offensive & ridiculous to be told that I'm not a person anymore, because I am, like crumpet said, 2 bags of saline now.

And for those of you who think I should have just accepted my post-breastfeeding boobs, when it happens to you, then I'll listen to your opinion. Not before. Let's see how YOU like having normal breasts, only to see them turn into 2 southward-turned floppy triangles. No thank you, I'm fine with my decision.
    Word.

as I do believe that once you get fake breasts, you BECOME the fake breasts over yourself

Phisch: I'm sorry but how
    dare you tell someone that if they have implants they are no more than the two salt water bags they have in their chest. How dare you reduce a person's worth to any part of their body, enhanced or otherwise. You come off as nothing more than an arrogant bitch saying something like that. Everything else you say, even the valid points, are lost when you show your true colors which reveal a true animosity towards people who have had ps, breast implants in particular. Don't kid yourself, you've got issues.

Word. just go get the damn things, phish. Then you can talk. And I suspect you actually want them anyway, or at least damn curious. There IS a way to do it tastefully and healthfully. Why is this subject being run into the ground? (from someone who often runs things into the ground ) I'm really not trying to gang up on you but it just seems that you've made your point, but every new person who comes on here... they actually just need to read the whole damn thread and THEN post.

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    I think it's great that you're open about having had PS Lobelia-people are too quick to judge others' personal choices, even when they're not hurting anyone, and I guess the Internet makes it even easier.
    This reminded me of something. I *am* pretty open about it. I would feel silly if I wasn't, because I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of. But whenever the topic comes up, and I tell people that I've got implants, they always act surprised. Maybe they're being polite, I dunno, but it seems genuine. Anyway, so much for the "you can always tell" theory.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I cannot for the life of me comprehend why ANYONE, taking a look at these pages, would ever want to get breast implants. The more I read these real people's stories, the more it seems like a crazy nightmare that one would pay to mutilate themselves like that. And i think the problems are a hell of a lot more common than they say. The risk is just not worth it.
    Did I miss something? This doesn't sound like anyone ever wanting breast implants. LOL.

Are you interested in breast agumentation Phishtickie? Maybe I've misread your posts.

Hit By Ban Bus!

No, she doesn't want them. Consciously. I implied that unconsciously the case might be the opposite.

Sometimes when people protest too much it's covering up the opposite feeling. I said SOMETIMES.

I breastfed and I know what you mean. Cisco's berry have nothing on my tatas..
    Come on you guys, enough already. Let's ALL go and fuck ourselves for a few minutes and return to the thread refreshed and relaxed. Gossip Rocks poster A*O

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Phisch: I'm sorry but how dare you tell someone that if they have implants they are no more than the two salt water bags they have in their chest. How dare you reduce a person's worth to any part of their body, enhanced or otherwise. You come off as nothing more than an arrogant bitch saying something like that. Everything else you say, even the valid points, are lost when you show your true colors which reveal a true animosity towards people who have had ps, breast implants in particular. Don't kid yourself, you've got issues.
    I think you misunderstood me, that wasn't my intention. I guess it didn't come across as I meant it too. It's not that for ME they are only plastic breasts. They just bring a certain focus to a certain part of themselves and that is what people see first, know what I mean? I am not trying to insult anyone personally here, actually I am trying to avoid just that. Sorry if I can't get my exact point across, non native english speaker here. I don't know, maybe sometimes I can't explain exactly what I am trying to say. My intentions are only good, trust me.
    As for other things mentioned, trust me again, I am not interested in fake breasts, consciously or otherwise, I have pretty big breasts myself. lol I even have a witness here who has seen a pic of me and can tell you. I am very happy with that. It's not about that, it's just that I am primarily disappointed at the level of deception that seems to go around from doctors and implant corporations. Those are the people I take issue with, not the people who decide for those things. Anyway, sorry if I offended any of you guys, I know my opinion comes across pretty strongly but I think that maybe we need to voice that kind of opinion strongly as well, becase for me it is a positive thing that needs to be heard.

LinkBacks (?)

1. February 7th, 2007, 12:40 AM

Thread Information