Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is plastic surgery so frowned upon?

Quote Originally Posted by phishtickie View Post
    Well, I am glad it amuses some people, because I don't find it amusing when these things spread like a disease to even the most normal people who spend ridiculous amounts of money just to look "done", and the way this whole idiotic system makes people feel inadequate or "bitter" or "in denial" if they DON'T aspire to looking 25 when they're 50.
    Er, I do believe I said the point is not to try to look decades younger-that's a ridiculous and ultimately unattainable goal.

I'm not trying to convince anyone, just speaking my mind, but it would be nice if even one person even thought twice about doing these things, like I said before.
    I'm not trying to convince anyone either-I'm stating an opinion, like you did yours. It's what we do in those posting boards, instead of...I don't know, work? Do productive stuff?

So I think it is important to say these things. Sorry if you don't like 'em
    Pfft, I don't like or dislike them-I have no shares in the PS industry, this is hardly politics/the environment/any issue I'm passionate about, and also this is just the Internet, so...it's all good. Don't care one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by phishtickie View Post
    Chocolate cake does NOT carry the huge risks and definite downgrade in many many cases in the looks department.
    You obviously haven't had enough chocolate cake
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

lol, yeah, maybe I need to actually test that theory before I make any claims

Well, I can check back with you in 10 years, and maybe my opinions will change. But I have to say that I sincerely hope they never will. Btw, I don't facials and injections are the same thing... No comparison.

Yeah. Or I can aspire to be like my mother, who at 51 rejected an offer to get completely free botox a few times because, according to her, what is the point?? It doesn't ACTUALLY make you younger. The only thing that really makes you look younger (and she does) is a positive outlook and an honest smile. I really look up to her for thinking that way. I think I will be disappointed in myself if I don't end up thinking that way as well.

Not all ppl who want to look good are miserable though, arent we speaking in black and white here? wanting to look good and refreshed doesnt mean a 70 year old having multiple face lifts, and tweaking a body part doesnt necessarily mean you've got body dysmorphic syndrome... I see the desperate aging analogy you guys are making, and thats the worst case scenario...
    Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here...
    www.fashion-templates.com

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

There does appear to be a gravitation towards extreme examples here.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Please explain to me how a nose job is more necessary than a boob job. 95% of this shit isn't necessary, that's not the point of ps. That's why most insurance companies won't cover ps: it isn't medically necessary. I'll come right out and say that the double standards chap my ass. Essentially, it amounts to this:anything I would consider doing is okay, but the other stuff is just weird, creepy, or unnecessary. People always seem to make little exceptions when judging others depending on how much someone else's choices mirror their own. I've said it before and I'll say it again: some people on this board have major boob issues. It's almost like they are trying to convince themselves that their small, deflated, lopsided, you name it boobs are so superior to those with implants. The old saying thou dost protest too much comes to mind. I'm sorry, but it does. People here act like breast augmentation is the worst oppressor of women, that it's the one surgery that hurts all women collectively more than any other, and that's bullshit. Like I said on another thread, how is having the fat sucked out of your ass any less vain? How is having your wrinkles injected away any less a sign of insecurity than anything else? We are all insecure, ps or no ps, at least about something. Just because some avoid ps for whatever reason doesn't mean that they agonize any less over their perceived flaws any more than people who go under the knife.
    Because IMO breast implants are done solely for the purpose of making a woman feel more feminine or sexier. I don't think the breasts should define how sexy a woman is, the truth is they don't. I think that women who shove silicone into their breasts are therefore really adding to the problem that small-breasted women are "less feminine." I think if more women were natural, you would see that small-breasted women are sexy and beautiful as well, but nowadays the usual standard of beauty (as dictated by MEN) is that women need big breasts, fake or not, to be considered sexy. And thats because women are willing to capitulate and make it seem like only big breasts are sexy by getting these implants. That truly bothers me, and I'm a fairly large chested woman myself! And for the record, my breasts aren't lop-sided, or deflated, or whatever you said, I think they're quite perfect, and so does my husband. But I don't understand why you think if I have a problem with breast implants I'm somehow got "deformed" breasts! Its pretty bizarre. I've never dealt with what a small-chested woman would feel, but I'm willing to bet its because all these women getting breast implants make them feel that what they are naturally blessed with is not "good enough" or that they're then made to feel unsexy. Or because they're besieged with pictures and media of fake-breasted women being praised by men. In my opinion, breast implants really define alot of whats wrong with society today, that women are made to feel they must be of a certain mold to really be perceived by men as sexy.

Rhinoplasty is COMPLETELY different, imo. Some of the time when people undertake rhinoplasty, I can understand it. Sometimes it is something that any reasonable person would undertake. I'm not saying its right when people become caricatures of themselves or do it unnecessarily, but some people have huge noses which throw off their whole face. Its not about sexiness, or femininity, its about symmetry and being able to live with yourself day-to-day. Its not unreasonable to want that.

I know I will be flamed, so be it. But I think plastic surgery is fine and wonderful if any reasonable person would undertake it. I just don't understand breast implants in general.

^Great post

And I dont see how breast implants on a woman would benefit a man- yeah ok maybe they look good and the woman has big tits, but they certainly dont feel nice and squishy like a natural breast. So apart from looking at them, what enjoyment do men get out of them?

january, great post. that's also why i see breast implants as different from other PS. because unless there is something actually wrong with your breasts - reconstruction, saggy boobs after breastfeeding, etc - getting implants simply for the sake of bigger boobs is (to me anyway, and i stress here that this is my opinion, so no getting offended!) just getting plastic surgery for all the wrong reasons. too many women seem to think that it is 'expected' of them to have bigger breasts. and i'm not saying this because it makes other women with small breasts feel bad, i'm talking about the woman that gets the procedure done. it's about associating being feminine with large breasts and that's something women need to overcome, and not by having plastic bags stuck under their chest
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by PlasticGirl View Post
    Not all ppl who want to look good are miserable though, arent we speaking in black and white here? wanting to look good and refreshed doesnt mean a 70 year old having multiple face lifts, and tweaking a body part doesnt necessarily mean you've got body dysmorphic syndrome... I see the desperate aging analogy you guys are making, and thats the worst case scenario...
    I'm not saying that at all. Just saying, happiness and contentment with one's life is the best factor for looking younger even if you have wrinkles. You DO look good if you are happy and smiley. In my opinion anyway.
    ETA: january, I completely agree with you on your whole implant analysis

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by StayYoung&Pretty View Post
    ^Great post

And I dont see how breast implants on a woman would benefit a man- yeah ok maybe they look good and the woman has big tits, but they certainly dont feel nice and squishy like a natural breast. So apart from looking at them, what enjoyment do men get out of them?
    We've already covered this shit, guys.

And yes.they.do. (feel nice and squishy like a natural breast).

If I had my "before" photos from the doctor of the mammary atrophy, I could post them and you guys would completely and totally understand why breast implants are often completely necessary and called-for.

But I guess you've never been there and I hope you never are. But if you're childbearing age, you may very well be.

I'm not trying to convince you (especially Phistickie), but I just think you shouldn't judge when you really do not have any idea what you are fucking talking about.

EXACTLY - some ppl here need to be informed before they post - they feel SOFT, stop looking at Pam anderson as the poster girl for ps. Hers are HARD because theyr'e too large for her chest skin! Not all women want HUGE tits either, some women just want SOME boobs. JEEZ - the women on this forum with E size boobs think we wanna be them? NO thanks. A nice B or C is fine for the majority of ps candidates, but the media is too busy focusing on the EEE Pamela's and insinuating that is the ideal...

I cant imagine why January would say that Rhinoplasty is ok, but fake boobs arent - its the SAME thing - vanity, unhappy with what god gave you. Rhinoplasty is just as dangerous and unnecessary - dont be a hypocrite and pick the things that appeal to YOUR set of values - be fair. Implants have been unbanned and no research has been able to back up the claims of health issues - but nobody believes it due to stigma. Three in my family have had them for years, without ANY symptoms or problems...
    Live and let live
    Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here...
    www.fashion-templates.com

I don't think I'm a hypocrite at all. There's plenty that feel just like me. I don't find anything hypocritical in my post, merely an opinion. I find rhinoplasty OK in some situations (definitely not most), I don't find breast implants OK, except in the case of reconstruction. Those are my personal beliefs, I'm entitled to them. I think that breast implants don't necessarily look bad on all women, I just don't like the motivation behind getting them. I think that women being bothered about feeling unsexy or unfeminine in their bodies says that the world needs to change, not the woman. I think its feeding into an unhealthy culture. Rhinoplasty is not related to sex and just women, but both men and women. Its not about femininity, but symmetry. Rhinoplasty is not one of the reasons that women are objectified sexually. I don't see rhinoplasty having a negative effect on the culture, sorry. Its totally different in my book.

By the way, I have several people close to me who have implants, and I never lecture them or question them about why they did it. Its not my place. You're correct, live and let live. But this is a message board where I can voice my opinion, too. I just hope that in my lifetime we return back to a healthy ideal, where women aren't demeaned into some kind of sexual object whose self-worth is determined by the size of their boobs. And thats not going to happen unless women put their foot down, say "damn it, my small chest/butt/legs is sexy, and no one can get me to change it." Unfortunately I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Silver Member

But breasts aren't always about sex either. I'm taking pills to grow mine bigger, and I am in NO WAY interested in sex or attracting me AT ALL. I'm probably one of the most unfeminine women I know, and I don't care about that. I'm not growing boobs to be more feminine, I'm doing it so that they'll look, to me, more symmetrical and in proportion with the rest of my body. Whatever other people think about my breasts is no concern. I'm sure lots of women feel that way too. So it's not always that different from a nose job as far as reasoning.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. February 7th, 2007, 12:40 AM

Thread Information