Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Renee Zellweger's new face

Elite Member

Oh, I see, being happy and living a fulfilling life is responsible. There must be a hell of a lot of happy and fulfilled people in Hollywood.
    Beeyotch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Renée Zellweger to PEOPLE: 'I'm Glad Folks Think I Look Different'

510SHARES

Enlarge

Renée Zellweger
    Steve Granitz/WireImage

By JD Heyman
    @jdheyman 10/22/2014 AT 12:10 AM EDT

Renée Zellweger has responded to Internet chatter about her appearance. In an exclusive statement to PEOPLE, the Oscar winner says she looks different because she is healthier and happier than ever – and she's fine with people taking notice.

"I'm glad folks think I look different! I'm living a different, happy, more fulfilling life, and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows," Zellweger, 45, says of the attention she received after an appearance at the Elle Women in Hollywood Awards in Beverly Hills on Monday.

Calling the conversation about her appearance "silly," she says she is choosing to address it because "it seems the folks who come digging around for some nefarious truth which doesn't exist won't get off my porch until I answer the door."

"My friends say that I look peaceful. I am healthy," Zellweger continues. "For a long time I wasn't doing such a good job with that. I took on a schedule that is not realistically sustainable and didn't allow for taking care of myself. Rather than stopping to recalibrate, I kept running until I was depleted and made bad choices about how to conceal the exhaustion. I was aware of the chaos and finally chose different things."

That healthier, slower-paced lifestyle – and her happy relationship with boyfriend Doyle Bramhall – helped her turn a corner. "I did work that allows for being still, making a home, loving someone, learning new things, growing as a creative person and finally growing into myself," she says.

Renée Zellweger (left) and Nanci Ryder at the Walk to Defeat ALS in Los Angeles
    Matt Sayles / Invision / AP

And if some people don't recognize the new Renée Zellweger, one thing they should understand is she's comfortable in her own skin.

"People don't know me in my 40s," says Zellweger, who prefers to lead a quiet life with Bramhall and a close circle of friends. Recently, she pitched in to help her pal and longtime publicist, Nanci Ryder, who is battling ALS, at the ALS Association Golden West Chapter's annual Walk to Defeat ALS in Los Angeles.

"People don't know me [as] healthy for a while," says Zellweger. "Perhaps I look different. Who doesn't as they get older?! Ha. But I am different. I'm happy."

Reese Witherspoon (left) and Renée Zellweger at the Walk to Defeat ALS in Los Angeles
    Matt Sayles / Invision / AP

Renee Zellweger Opens Up About Different Look : People.com
    with the glasses on she looks like herself. It's those eyes...wonder if the heavy lids could have been reduced without it being so drastic. Glad she is happy. I always liked her work.

Whoa.... Eye lift and cheek implants I'm guessing? ....I definitely don't buy that it's all just "natural aging"....

What’s Really Behind The Ridicule Of Renée Zellweger’s Face

It’s plastic surgery shaming, yes, but also about how we think Renée Zellweger is supposed to age.posted on Oct. 21, 2014, at 12:21 p.m

Getty Images for ELLE Jason Merritt

Getty Images for ELLE Jason Merritt

All of these links reference photos from Elle’s 21st annual Women in Hollywood Awards, which Renée Zellweger, who is now 44, attended on Monday night. Zellweger has not made a film in four years, and yet her name is still a household one — or at least, if you say her name, an image of her probably springs into your head. The cute Jerry Maguire or Bridget Jones’s Diary-era cherubic cheeks, the crinkled eyes, the pursed-lip smile — far more “just like us” than more glamorous contemporaries like Angelina Jolie or Julia Roberts.
    Which is part of the reason that the photos of her looking so markedly unlikeherself in the photos from Monday’s event are so startling. And yes: She seems to have had some plastic surgery in the eye area, some Botox-like injections in the forehead area.
    But: So what?
    In some ways, it’s a pretty classic case of taking pleasure in looking, with disgust, at the feminine grotesque: a slightly more socially sanctioned version of ogling enormous breasts, or the Barbie, or too-long nails, outsize rear ends; Lisa Rinna’s lips, Kim Kardashian’s pregnant body, stretch lines and cellulite on the beach, stars without makeup. The aging body is fascinating — but we’ve also been culturally trained to be repulsed by it.
    The performative surprise, disgust, and shame directed toward aging is super contradictory: It suggests that the ideal woman is young and without wrinkles, but attempts by women to maintain that ideal are subject to derision.
    It’s not that women shouldn’t get plastic surgery; it’s that they should make every effort for that surgery to be invisible, seamless, unnoticeable. Good plastic surgery is OK, but “bad” plastic surgery — surgery that makes itself visible — now that’s abject.
    Why? Because it shows that the work of performing ideal femininity is just that: work. And ideal femininity never illuminates itself as a construction; it must present itself as “natural.” Which is also why it comes as such a surprise when someone like Beyoncé speaks openly about the exhaustive regimen necessary to get her body into post-baby shape: It speaks truth to the lie of the effortless, immaculate, eternally young and fit female form.
    Plastic-surgery shaming is thus tantamount to blaming the victims of this ideal for working so hard to achieve what we’ve told them, for decades, they must do. It’s bullshit, it’s unfeminist, and it’s just one of many ways in which society damns women for taking its ideals concerning sexuality or the body to their natural extension.
    But I also think that the surprise at Zellweger is rooted in the way that we, as consumers, were introduced to her image — and the expectations that cling to that image, nearly two decades after it was first introduced. In Empire Records(1994), Zellweger, then 25, wears a short skirt for the duration of the film, eventually donning a bright orange apron that barely covers her “delicate” regions, alternately praised and shamed for her status as a sex object.

Warner Bros.

She’s a mother in Jerry Maguire (1996), but she’s also characterized by her youthfulness and idealism — and her contrast with Tom Cruise’s ideal ex-girlfriend. She went purposely dowdy for Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001), a film whose narrative hinges on the titular character’s continual attempts to hew societal ideals of the contained female body.

New Line

Miramax

In Cold Mountain (2003), she’s in formless, masculine clothes, playing a character who’s clearly never been schooled in proper femininity; she’s the inverse and foil to Nicole Kidman’s proper Southern woman, and “playing at” non-femininity — a performance accentuated by her hyper-feminine appearances on the red carpet during awards season — was part of what won her the Academy Award.

Miramax

Which is all to say that Zellweger’s picture personality has been about the striving performance of femininity — and a striving performance that’s rooted, always, in the appearance of twenty- and thirtysomething youth. To see her at the age of 44, amid a long period without acting work, with plastic surgery seems yet the latest attempt, and failure, to conform to the ideals of femininity, the sad second act in the latest Bridget Jones. Only this time, as the book tells us, Mr. Darcy is dead, which means there’s no man to validate her and thus save her from self-punishment.
    To be clear, I don’t think that Renee Zellweger is Bridget Jones, or that Zellweger conceives of herself as Bridget Jones. But we map the Zellweger image onto the Zellweger body: That’s how stardom works.
    Hollywood is horrible to aging women, broadly, but it’s particularly horrible for women whose images are rooted in a youthful form of themselves. It’s not just Lindsay Lohan, in other words, who has to struggle with expectations pinned to a much-younger version of herself. That’s why Julia Roberts and Reese Witherspoon keep playing variations on the same roles, praised for their apparent agelessness, and why Demi Moore and Nicole Kidman struggle to reinvigorate their stardom. Indeed, the most flattering form of praise for a longtime female star isn’t “Look at their varied and complex career!” but “[Insert Star Here] Doesn’t Age!”

Lucas Jackson / Reuters

Jemal Countess / Getty Images

Mario Anzuoni / Reuters

What do we make, however, of the cult of 47-year-old Connie Britton? The silver fox praise of Helen Mirren, who is 69? The love for Julianna Margulies (48), and Viola Davis (49), and Vera Farmiga (41)? It’s simple: All of their images (at least for American audiences) are rooted in a “mature” version of beauty. No one criticizes them for aging on screen because they’ve seemingly always already been aging.
    For Zellweger, whose stardom was forged in her late twenties, that’s simply not an option — especially without the sort of roles, television- or film-based, that would help audiences work through that transition. The last time we really “saw” her, she was that old image. Now she’s labeled a distortion of it, even though, in truth, it’s society’s reaction that’s the dark mirror of our expectations — not Zellweger’s still beautiful face.

Source: http://www.buzzfeed.com/annehelenpet...ellwegers-face

ETA:
    She looks like a completely different person. "Natural aging"/Going into your 40's doesn't magically turn everyone's face into Joan Van Ark's...

Last edited by SoCalMarie; October 22nd, 2014 at 03:22 PM.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

It's not just natural aging, she's had something done to her eyes. Whatever else she may have had, I can't tell. I'm not good at spotting those things. She looks so completely different, it's weird.
    Beeyotch likes this.
    I'll bet Goopy is steam cleaning the fuck out of that vagina!-MsDark

Very disappointed that she came out to address all the questions with more lies. Tells me she isn't happy with herself and to think so little of her fans that they would believe such nonsense. I don't really care that she had the PS I do care about the lies....better off not to say anything.
    holly, SoCalMarie and aggie like this.

I still reckon she looks like Candice Bergen - a very old Candy. The invisible eyebrows don't help either.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by Witchywoman View Post
    Very disappointed that she came out to address all the questions with more lies. Tells me she isn't happy with herself and to think so little of her fans that they would believe such nonsense. I don't really care that she had the PS I do care about the lies....better off not to say anything.
    Agreed.
    Or, just admit to the obvious: She had bad PS....

If that were me, that's would I do. I'd at least get a cover People Mag out of it (a little step-up from Us Mag), with the headline: "Yeah, I got bad Plastic Surgery, I made a bad decision, sh*t happens... and an article to maybe warn people about bad PS, educate people about aging gracefully... I don't know.

Just because she let the botox wear off (to show some wrinkles), doesn't mean the general public is going to buy the "I'm just aging naturally" excuse.
    Witchywoman likes this.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

I like her new face. Better than the annoying squinty eyed look. I always thought she was smiling like that on purpose.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

that buzzfeed article couldn't be more pretentious and off the mark if it tried.
    so many articles are making this an issue of women/actresses being bullied and shamed for aging by internet trolls, but i think that's completely missing the point here. this is not about her suddenly getting wrinkles and being ridiculed for it, as others have pointed out, this is a case of someone completely changing their signature look with PS.
    rollo likes this.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMarie View Post
    Agreed.
    Or, just admit to the obvious: She had bad PS....

If that were me, that's would I do. I'd at least get a cover People Mag out of it (a little step-up from Us Mag), with the headline: "Yeah, I got bad Plastic Surgery, I made a bad decision, sh*t happens... and an article to maybe warn people about bad PS, educate people about aging gracefully... I don't know.

Just because she let the botox wear off (to show some wrinkles), doesn't mean the general public is going to buy the "I'm just aging naturally" excuse.
    It's Kenny Rogers all over again. He had more or less the same surgery as Renee--blepharoplasty/epicanthic fold removal--upper eyelid paring. It totally changed his face, and he came out and admitted what a bad decision it was.

Adding a browlift and then so much Botox that her eyebrows flattened out didn't help. She let the Botox wear off, I guess...to look more natural? Yeah, no.

Honestly, I think radical eye work is the one plastic surgery scenario nobody should ever opt for. It really doesn't work. Tori Amos did the same thing; her face and Kenny's have settled some and look a little better, but even years later people still make negative comments.

Light eyelid work can flatter and I think there's a lot of it out there--Jane Fonda? But the botch jobs are SO bad because you just don't look like yourself anymore.

Renee's always been pretty body dysmorphic anyway, hasn't she? I guess this isn't surprising. Plus she hasn't acted much in years either, so that probably won't change. Did she think this would re-ignite her career?

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I still reckon she looks like Candice Bergen - a very old Candy. The invisible eyebrows don't help either.
    Wow, there IS quite a bit of Candy Bergen there now. How weird.
    SoCalMarie likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Somebody posted this on Reddit and photo shopped some makeup on her. She looks roughly the same.

imgur: the simple image sharer
    sluce likes this.

That does look more like her; yet it also shopped her eye lines a little bit more closely to her almond shape pre-blepharo. The shopped eyebrows help also. I think her new look is lovely; I just don't think it looks like her.

That reddit photoshop makes me think it's an upper and lower blepharoplasty. And the lack of made up eyebrows.

she's got the post blepharoplasty doll eye thing (the creepy ones with the eyelids that move). nowhere near as bad as redford or kenny rogers but it's a very obvious eye job.

and i think she thought people would be distracted by the furry brows (she's got hairs almost down to her eyelids, it's making me nervous and i like slightly unkempt brows) and the orange fake tan but it's way too obvious.
    fresh botox too, crows eyes and forehead and it all looks strangely tight.

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    she's got the post blepharoplasty doll eye thing (the creepy ones with the eyelids that move). nowhere near as bad as redford or kenny rogers but it's a very obvious eye job.

and i think she thought people would be distracted by the furry brows (she's got hairs almost down to her eyelids, it's making me nervous and i like slightly unkempt brows) and the orange fake tan but it's way too obvious.
    fresh botox too, crows eyes and forehead and it all looks strangely tight.

^From that pic of Kenny's horrific PS it also looks like he's had a nosejob. His is one of the worst cases of PS ever.
    sputnik and twitchy2.0 like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information