Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Norma-Jean Baker's transformation into Marilyn Monroe

Silver Member

gorgeous

About the rags to riches story, "Marilyn" by Gloria Steinem (illustrated with the George Barris photos) is an interesting read. A lot was in Marilyn's own words. She had a harrowing childhood, and she rose to the top by, as she put it, spending a lot of time "on her knees" in offices.

In a recent PBS documentary, Norman Mailer (not sure how reliable he is) said her nose was "mottled" and unattractive in person. We know she concealed freckles under pan cake makeup, I guess that's what he means by mottled. But I believe her nose experienced the "shrink-wrap" effect surgeons say occurs for years after a rhinoplasty (compare her nose in Seven Year Itch to The Misfits).

The site where I originally read this is not working, but they said she died her roots once a week and kept out of the sun so she'd be "blonde all over" - she said look what happens to fruit in the sun. They also said she exercised regularly with weights in a workout she designed herself. She took good care of her body (well, except for the booze and pills).

I agree she's not natural and that takes something away... But had she ever promised natural? She said her fans wanted glamor and she would not let them down, so she always wore makeup and dressed well in public. Still, in the book she tells a story of how she's walking down the street and nobody pays attention to her until she "becomes Marilyn". She referred to Marilyn as "her". Here was a creation that went well beyond the surface.

Compare her to Ingrid Bergman, for instance. Ingrid was 100% natural. She even refused to let them dye her hair or pluck her eyebrows. Take me as I am, she said. And she was beautiful. Maureen O'Hara, too. They wanted her to have a nose job and she said no! Thank goodness! Another great natural beauty.

Adding this pic I found:

http://www.gerbergallery.ch/grossbil...strand_007.htm
    Last edited by Miss A; February 10th, 2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: added link

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah Norman Mailer was so rude. I read his book on her and even he said in it that it may just be from the position of a man who didn't score with her basically, bitter much?! yeah, i think so. I can see what he's saying about the tip of her nose though, it is a tiny bit pudgy, not a defined refined tip but hardly noticeable to most who take in the whole picture of her.

great post Miss A; you are really educated in the subject of Marilyn

Elite Member

What is the shrink wrap effect? I know lots of people who've had rhinoplasty and this is the first I've heard of it.

well I know what happens to a person who's had rhinoplasty right where the old nose ends (if its somewhere in the upper bridge) and the new nose begins. you can see it on Winona Ryder and my first college roomate. its b/c the nose never stops growing and you can see this funky part as evidence of that.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    well I know what happens to a person who's had rhinoplasty right where the old nose ends (if its somewhere in the upper bridge) and the new nose begins. you can see it on Winona Ryder and my first college roomate. its b/c the nose never stops growing and you can see this funky part as evidence of that.
    Can you show it with pics?
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

maybe?! i only see it in candids; its just a little disruption at the upper part of her bridge rather than a smooth line

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    I've got nothing against a little plastic surgery tweak here or there as long it improves the person's appearance and looks natural. It's when people take it so far it actually looks plastic, and/or try to fix what isn't broken (Nicole Kidman for example) that I am bothered by it. Marilyn knew when to stop and still looked natural. I think most women, if they were guaranteed to go from plain jane to stunning with a nose job and chin implant, like Marilyn did, they would go for it. And I would admire the results.
    Marilyn died when she was 36!! Nicole Kidman is 45-50? If Marilyn had lived longer she probably would have continued to go under the knife.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by powerorchid View Post
    Marilyn died when she was 36!! Nicole Kidman is 45-50? If Marilyn had lived longer she probably would have continued to go under the knife.
    nicole is 40!!

Elite Member

That's very likely. Also the surgery she had already had might have started to look bad, her alcohol problems would have taken their toll and so on... No way she would have been the icon she is today if she had lived.

didnt find any good pics HWBL but its something you can see. maybe ppl are born with it but i always attrituted it to the old nose growing towards the new one, thats what my old roomie told me anyways

Nicole isn't quite that old. She's early forties, I believe. 42 maybe?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Eek. Marilyn looked a bit like Britney Spears when she was younger, poor thing.

ITA - a touch here, a touch there..... its all maintenance.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    I'm across the pond now and there's this Dutch celeb who was in a movie of
    that Dutch director who was murdered several years ago, Van Gogh, and
    she often reminds me of Norma Jean before she dyed her hair. She's not
    a look-alike, just the type reminds me a lot of her.

She really does resemble the original Norma Jean, doesn't she?

The quintessential blonde bombshell, Monroe was married to baseball great Joe DiMaggio, and romantically linked to the penises of men as famous as John F. Kennedy and Frank Sinatra (if you'd like to imagine an interlinking chain of penises here, we won't stop you). She posed nude for the first issue of some up-and-coming gentlemen's magazine called Playboy and showed up in some movies, too.
    What Happened?
    The original blonde bombshell Marilyn Monroe was neither blonde nor named Marilyn Monroe, though her early career was closely linked to bombshells, oddly enough. Born a brunette named Norma Jeane Mortenson in LA, she spent her childhood moving between foster homes and orphanages.

When she grew up, Monroe worked at a munitions plant where she inspected parachutes and sprayed airplanes to make them fire retardant. It was at this plant that a photographer for YANK magazine (a publication intended to boost morale of troops overseas apparently through the magic of double entendres) snapped a photo of Monroe for the cover.

The photographer pointed out to her that she was smoking hot and had the kind of breasts that could change the world. So she took acting classes, cut and dyed her hair blond and became a legend.
    So let that be a lesson: If some random guy shows up at your job and takes a picture of you, you should absolutely do whatever he says. He only wants what's best for you.

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information