Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kim Basinger says: have surgery if it makes you feel better

Default Re: Kim Basinger says: have surgery if it makes you feel better

Quote Originally Posted by StayYoung&Pretty
    ^Also, alot of people mistake plastic surgery as being the answer to their image problems; some people get something 'fixed' and theyre happy with it, while other people are never satisfied because they are too obsessed with their appearance.

Like Michael Jackson.
    I've heard of something like what you said about people obsessed with their apperance. It's some sort of dieses, I forgot what it was ( I saw it on Oprah). I think that it was called DHT? Poor Jacko... he's really let himself go, and he was really adorable when he was in the 'Jackson 5'.

I don't think that if you get surgery you will be 100% happy with the results. Like, if you get breast implaints you won't completely be happy with them, because they will cause discomfort at some point, as far as I've heard.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I actually love her. I know she suffers from psychological problems but she is so talented and beautiful. If I was married to Alec Baldwin, I might have lost it too.

Quote Originally Posted by fbwl
    I've heard of something like what you said about people obsessed with their apperance. It's some sort of dieses, I forgot what it was ( I saw it on Oprah). I think that it was called DHT? Poor Jacko... he's really let himself go, and he was really adorable when he was in the 'Jackson 5'.

I don't think that if you get surgery you will be 100% happy with the results. Like, if you get breast implaints you won't completely be happy with them, because they will cause discomfort at some point, as far as I've heard.

Its called BODY DYSMORPHIC DISORDER; as the name suggests, sufferers have a distorted view of how they look. They obsess over their looks and any flaw they have, they MUST have fixed or else they cannot function in life. Then when they get it done, they start thinking that surgery is always going to be the answer to their unhappiness; which it isn't, so they are never satisfied and go back again and again. Plastic surgeons will usually do anything if you've got the cash, but they are warned not to operate on people with this illness.

Its called BODY DYSMORPHIC DISORDER; as the name suggests, sufferers have a distorted view of how they look. They obsess over their looks and any flaw they have, they MUST have fixed or else they cannot function in life. Then when they get it done, they start thinking that surgery is always going to be the answer to their unhappiness; which it isn't, so they are never satisfied and go back again and again. Plastic surgeons will usually do anything if you've got the cash, but they are warned not to operate on people with this illness.
    That the sad part of being obsessed with the way you look. Some just get it fixed and are happy with it, but usually complications may happen. I can't believe that doctors don't even bother to understand who they were dealing with. It's exactly like teens paying for expensive plastic surgery, the doctors don't even bother to explain that it takes time to grow, or if they are grown-up that what they are doing maybe an unhealthy obsession!

^Exactly.

Good & Proper plastic surgeons also ask you WHY you want surgery.

I went to a plastic surgeon when I was 16, I wanted something 'fixed' but the doctor said he couldn't notice the problem. It was an obsession for me though. I also said I wanted to look better for other people- biggest mistake ever. He went on about people going to him saying "My boyfriend dumped me because my nose is too big, or my breasts are too small", and he said he wouldn't operate on people like that because if thats how they think, then they're not thinking like a normal person, hence, mental illness. And he said having surgery too young could be dangerous; it could start an obsession and he told me that I was at risk of getting into a mind frame where I would think that plastic surgery would fix everything and make me happy.

So some surgeons definetly don't just operate, they sit down and discuss it. Then there are those who just do what you want, and if I still want plastic surgery on my 'flaw' I'd have to find one that did. But now that I'm older, I wouldn't be questioned as much. 16 was too young obviously, even though my Mum came with me to the doctor.

By the way, I'm talking about ears. Apparently I find my own ears alot bigger and uglier than what other people do, so I have a slight case of Body Dysmorphic Disorder. I am more over it now though, I was so obsessed with how I looked at highschool. I hated the doctor so much for saying no because then my parents caught onto this idea that I was 'over reacting'. The doctor was like, "You're a very pretty girl, and nobody in their right mind is looking at your ears". I know its a compliment, but I was very focused on what wasn't 'perfect' on my body. Its miserable, trust me.

^Exactly.

Good & Proper plastic surgeons also ask you WHY you want surgery.

I went to a plastic surgeon when I was 16, I wanted something 'fixed' but the doctor said he couldn't notice the problem. It was an obsession for me though. I also said I wanted to look better for other people- biggest mistake ever. He went on about people going to him saying "My boyfriend dumped me because my nose is too big, or my breasts are too small", and he said he wouldn't operate on people like that because if thats how they think, then they're not thinking like a normal person, hence, mental illness. And he said having surgery too young could be dangerous; it could start an obsession and he told me that I was at risk of getting into a mind frame where I would think that plastic surgery would fix everything and make me happy.

So some surgeons definetly don't just operate, they sit down and discuss it. Then there are those who just do what you want, and if I still want plastic surgery on my 'flaw' I'd have to find one that did. But now that I'm older, I wouldn't be questioned as much. 16 was too young obviously, even though my Mum came with me to the doctor.

By the way, I'm talking about ears. Apparently I find my own ears alot bigger and uglier than what other people do, so I have a slight case of Body Dysmorphic Disorder. I am more over it now though, I was so obsessed with how I looked at highschool. I hated the doctor so much for saying no because then my parents caught onto this idea that I was 'over reacting'. The doctor was like, "You're a very pretty girl, and nobody in their right mind is looking at your ears". I know its a compliment, but I was very focused on what wasn't 'perfect' on my body. Its miserable, trust me.
    You were lucky to go to that Doctor. Obviously he knew what he was talking about. I would understand that when you become obsessed with the way you look, even when it's something very small. I doubt that there would be anyone in my own school that has prefection writen on them. But, now I accept the way look,because so many people taught me about what I'm dealing with, and what's the real problem. If I went through with fixing my noes, I still would think that I would be miserable with another problem that I would defitnately affect everything about me. Wow, you were 16? Really?

Well, I have also heard of parents encouraging there children to get surgery! They actually approve of it! There like, if it boots there confidents then they should do it!! Some don't even bother questions about why they want to do surgery!!

Aha, I hated the doctor after that. But he did open my eyes to the fact that I did have an illness and once I got something I didn't like fixed, I'd always resort to plastic surgery. And he's right. Becuase NO ONE is perfect and everyone could look in the mirror and find something on themselves (even if it wasn't noticeable to anyone else) that they could 'fix' with plastic surgery.

SVZ

The problem with BDD is that even if you get it fixed, it usually doesn't end there. Suddenly there's another problem, after the nose it's the chin, then the love handles, then the ears, etc, etc, etc

Aha, I hated the doctor after that. But he did open my eyes to the fact that I did have an illness and once I got something I didn't like fixed, I'd always resort to plastic surgery. And he's right. Becuase NO ONE is perfect and everyone could look in the mirror and find something on themselves (even if it wasn't noticeable to anyone else) that they could 'fix' with plastic surgery.
    Well, I'm glad that you didn't go through with it anyways. It's great that the doctor open you're eyes, to make you understand. That's the perfect motto! No one is perfect. Just like what SVZ said, the problem is that you always find something wrong with you if you have BDD. I'm starting to believe that I had this problem.

My guess is that the importance you give to your external appareance, it has to do with your environment.

If you grew up in a house when no one cares about fashion magazines, tv shows, and Hollywood movies, you are going to have a better acceptance of your self.

Nevertheless, if your family is always worried about diet, fashion, models, etc, you are finally going to compare with that surrounding and find out that you are not as beautiful or perfect as they are.

Los Angeles, Miami, Caracas and Rio de Janeiro are the cities with most plastic surgeries every day.

Never is too late to make a change.

^I agree. But society has alot to do with it; it rewards beauty and punishes ugly. And it seems to be so obsessed with perfection, but what exactly IS perfect?

Beauty is necessary in some areas of the society but not all of them.

Not all presidents or prime ministers of the world are beautiful or good looking(I can name some examples, but I dont want to be rude ).

My guess is that if you feel beautiful, you will express your inner beauty to others and they will receive your internal message.

It does have to do with society! People judge you and make you feel horrible about yourself. They always have something about you to mock about you. It's not easy to stay positive and think that you have 'inner beauty',because people always judge the way you look. No matter what you do, it's the way you look. It's not like you can keep yourself away from t.v's, magazines, and movies. It will always will be there. Apprently perfection is just to show that you have no flaws, and you are 100% perfect, or that your better than anyone else. Society, and people in general have always have been this way. It has to do with a lot with where you live, too! People with different nationalities, and different race see others in a way the way 'they should be'. Like, in Iran you have to have a nose job, because you wear a scarf and your nose will always look ugly to ever one.

^so True.

I see your point, and I perfectly understand it.
    But.. again, the way you feel about yourself, is how people is going to see you...
    What happens with a girl like Paris Hilton? some people feel she is a total insecure about herself and say she is nasty and horrible and blah blah, but some others think she is georgeos, because for them, she is all about being secure, and perfect, and rich.

Societies who generalize a way of being, thinking, looking, etc. it is a poor society without values, and it is full with empty heads.

PS when I was in Iran, women didnt care about their nose.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information