Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: I spent £20,000 on a new face to find a husband

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post

p.s. I'm not here to argue with anyone but one of mods' duties is to moderate in open public. I didn't resort to any personal attacks neither in public nor private.
    That was exactly my point. I stand by what I wrote.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Picara View Post
    I think she did look Arab and through plastic surgery tried to eliminate any Arab features. I saw a GMA program about the rise in nose jobs in Iran. Many people think that they are trying to erase their heritage through PS.
    First of all, the woman is not an Arab. She is from either Iran or Afghanistan. I haven't yet been able to discern this information from my research on her.

Secondly, I do not believe that Dr. Khan tried to erase her ethnic features. IMO she was smoothing them out by removing and adding features that are currently considered more conventionally attractive.

I have no doubt that rhinoplasty is on the rise in Iran, and that many people try to erase their heritage through cosmetic surgery. I just don't think Dr. Khan is one of them. Her academic focus is upon Afghani and Iranian women (amongst other things), and what happens to them as they acculturate away from their homelands. I doubt she'd want to erase her own heritage since her academic work focuses upon it.

FYI I do know the diff, I wasnt aware of where shes from simply bc I only looked at the before and after pic =) duh...you really think I read the entire article? lol

Hit By Ban Bus!

I'm sure you do know the difference, FF. What people took issue with was the lack of clarification in your one liner about her being Arab. I'm inferring that you meant something along the lines of: "she looks Arab, she's not supposed to look like a westernized brunette Barbie doll and we shouldn't expect her to."

exactly my pt! thanks mira

Hit By Ban Bus!

You're welcome. I guess you and I and maybe one other are the only people who think she looks pretty good now. *shrug* Sad though. She has a lot of light in her eyes, and she's got character and class. That should matter most. Her looks have improved, and I wish her the best. It's a bitch out there finding a man worthy of commitment, looks or no looks.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Iranians are neither Arabs, nor middle-Eastern.
    That is all.
    you may want to run that one by my geography college professor bc last I heard, Iran is in the middle east

Middle East - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    One widely used definition of the "Middle East" is that of the airline industry, maintained by the IATA standards organization. This definition — as of early 2007 — includes Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Palestinian territories, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somaliland, Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, United Arab Emirates, Pakistan and Yemen.[10] This definition is used in world-wide airfare and tax calculations for passengers and cargo.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Ack, FF I'd leave well enough alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Femmefatale View Post
    you may want to run that one by my geography college professor bc last I heard, Iran is in the middle east

Middle East - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    One widely used definition of the "Middle East" is that of the airline industry, maintained by the IATA standards organization. This definition ó as of early 2007 ó includes Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Palestinian territories, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somaliland, Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, United Arab Emirates, Pakistan and Yemen.[10] This definition is used in world-wide airfare and tax calculations for passengers and cargo.
    Femmfatale likes to live dangerously. LOL.

I hardly think the airline industry, or Wikipedia, is the last word in geography, but I've always been able to admit that I'm wrong.

I looked it up in a credible source -- I don't allow students to use Wikipedia because of all the mistakes in it --and it says it is in the Middle East.

I'm not ashamed to be wrong -- after all, I've just learned something valuable. And education is never a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by tictac View Post
    Ok, how many of you thought the top one was the before picture? I did! Yikes.
    Lol same here.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I've just learned something valuable. And education is never a mistake.
    Well hopefully something else will be learned here, and that is that NOT ALL people in the near east, middle east and Central Asia (Turkmenistan, etc.) are Arab. Americans are guilty of this error more than anywhere else.

You call a Persian, Turk or Greek an Arab and you've got a definite problem. They do not want to be called Arabs, because they aren't. Likewise, Armenians do not like to be called Turks and vice versa. Persians/Iranians are not Turks. Kurds are a tribal people that are not Arab, and they're not Turkish or Persian/Iranian, yet they live in an Arabic speaking country (Iraq). There are other examples that elude me at the moment since my lovely space heater is working so nicely... zzzzzz
    Last edited by Mira; April 4th, 2007 at 10:47 PM. Reason: I am very, very sleepy tonite...zzzz

Well, Greeks are from an entirely different continent from Persians and Turks, so I think that error would be a little more extreme. Greece is 100% in Europe

Hit By Ban Bus!

Yes, and the point is the error is made more often than one would think. And while we're at this many Arabians do NOT want to be called Saudi Arabians, because the Saud family only came to power in the early 1900's. They are NOT beloved by the general populace, and they are NOT royal. They are simply dictatorial, and that scope goes well beyond their geographical borders.

to be honest thou, I have never heard someone from Saudi Arabia ever refer to themselves as "Arabian"? Arab, yes, "Arabian" no. Not sure why?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information