Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is plastic surgery so frowned upon?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Why is plastic surgery so frowned upon?

Just curious. I think it's fun to speculate on who's had what done, shake our heads at those who try to deny the fact that they've obviously been altered, but why is there usually a negative stigma attached to getting it done? If a person chooses to spend their own money to modify their own body to feel better about how they look, what's the harm? I've never had a problem with plastic surgery so I'm curious to know the rationale of those who DO think it's wrong, shallow, whatever. And yes, I've had more than one procedure done. Some very recently too...ouchie. I'm not ashamed.

SVZ

Default Re: Why is plastic surgery so frowned upon?

I fully support it. If you have the money are mentally stable enough to realize the pain you'll be going through and are realistic about the results, both physically and emotionally and aren't banking on it to change your life. Go for it and look better.

I think it tends to depend on whether the surgery was an upgrade or a downgrade. If it's subtle or fixing a problem, I notice people tend to be more positive. If they ruined themselves, went overboard, or just did something unnecessary, they get laughed at. Personally, I don't feel that plastic surgery is taboo or really frowned upon, in general... only when it's deemed a mistake. Does that make sense?

If it's good quality plastic surgery (or Botox or whatever) no one should know you've done it. When there's an obvious collagen lip or visible breast implants...that's what gives it a bad rep.

Too many people don't know when to stop, and most of them don't need it in the first place, IMO.

IMO surgery should be more about fixing or repairing than about pursuing some vain plastic ideal of the body.

A*O

If people want PS to improve/repair/rejuvenate that's fine - but please don't DENY IT. It's nearly always totally obvious anyway, and the results are often fantastic, but I can't deal with people who say their sudden change of appearance is down to diet or Grandma's genes because it makes them look even more foolish and ridiculous.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by muchlove View Post
    I think it tends to depend on whether the surgery was an upgrade or a downgrade. If it's subtle or fixing a problem, I notice people tend to be more positive. If they ruined themselves, went overboard, or just did something unnecessary, they get laughed at. Personally, I don't feel that plastic surgery is taboo or really frowned upon, in general... only when it's deemed a mistake. Does that make sense?
    i agree. PS has to be subtle. i think with good PS, people look like themselves, but better. bad PS is when they go too far and try to look like a different person or someone they're not.
    breast implants i definitely have an issue with, even small ones, and even if they look good for implants. i don't have as much of a problem with people taking things out, but inserting a weird jelly-filled foreign object into your body, and one that might have bizarre, long-term health risks, for the sake of vanity, is too much IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i agree. PS has to be subtle. i think with good PS, people look like themselves, but better. bad PS is when they go too far and try to look like a different person or someone they're not.
    breast implants i definitely have an issue with, even small ones, and even if they look good for implants. i don't have as much of a problem with people taking things out, but inserting a weird jelly-filled foreign object into your body, and one that might have bizarre, long-term health risks, for the sake of vanity, is too much IMO.
    Amen! haha, i agree, i really don't have anything against PS in general, but for some reason, breast implants bother me, big or small. there's just something weird about them. everything is good as long as people don't go overboard.

What most people dont realise is that we only see the BAD surgery, TONS of people have GOOD surgery. Being good is why we dont see it!
    I have fake boobs, and i'd rather have plastic filled bags that be flat chested, or have droopy ones thanks. They hold all my tops up, and they're small and understated. I see why people here have a problem with them though.
    But thats just my opinion.
    Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here...
    www.fashion-templates.com

A*O

It's true - not all boob jobs involve a 34 DDD. I have a good friend who is totally gorgeous who always felt she needed slightly larger boobs to make her in proportion. So she went from an A to a B cup and she looks fabulous. It's not an obvious boob job at all but overall she just looks (and feels) so much better. I had the opposite problem, HUGE boobs that required reduction surgery (still a healthy D cup mind you) and it was the best thing I ever did.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member

My problem with PS is mostly that people in general do seem to have unrealistic expectations. I don't think that plastic surgery can fix a failing self-esteem, a body image problem, or plain, simple unhappiness; but a lot of people seem to use it to try to cure those kinds of problems.

I simply think that in many cases, in terms of mental and emotional well-being, the money people spend on PS would have been better spent on some counseling, a long vacation, a move, a career change, or some other lifestyle change. There's no way I would spend it on PS, myself; I can think of a thousand things I'd rather spend 2000 dollars on.

The problem I have with ps is when people over do it. If you've got a big nose, get a nose job if you want, if you have ridiculously small breasts, have them enlarged if you want, if you're looking saggy/wrinkly get it lifted if you want but don't complain when people notice or say you've over done it!

If I had money I'd probably have a nose job because I have a slight bump on the side of my nose that I always notice when I look in the mirror and I hate it! But some people go to far and tweak things that don't need tweaking and end up looking like walking barbie dolls!
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

I agree with pretty much everyone's opinions so far.

Personally I haven't had any plastic surgery, but I don't have a problem with it. If you can do something to improve yourself why not do it?

Those who get slammed are those who end up like freak shows, like Victoria Beckham's post-pregnancy breasts, Tara Reid's stomach craters or Hunter Tylo's face, especially if they keep acting like we were all blind fools and deny what's obvious.
    For example I have never heard anyone criticize Anastacia's breast reduction.
    And we can't even talk about those jobs who are so subtle and so good that are not visible.

My opinion on plastic surgery is if you don't agree with it, then don't do it! I'm pro-plastic, but there's certain things that I don't *think* I'd ever do (never say never), but if someone else wants to do it, it's their body, not mine. If they come out looking great, then more power to 'em. If they come out looking wretched, that's their problem to deal with, not mine.

I do enjoy critiquing it though, lol.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. February 7th, 2007, 12:40 AM

Thread Information