Thread: Baby boomers pay for six pack in a syringe

Default Baby boomers pay for six pack in a syringe

By Philip Sherwell, Sunday Telegraph
    Last Updated: 1:00am BST 19/08/2007

With his six-pack stomach, bulging chest and bull-like shoulders, the muscleman in the newspaper advertisement displays the sort of rippling torso that adorns the cover of men's fitness journals.

But there is one difference. From the neck up, Dr Jeffry S Life is a balding 67-year-old physician.

His physique is the product not of a computer touch-up but a controversial American "ageing management" technique, that often includes a cocktail of human growth hormones and testosterone.

Dr Jeffry Life, 67, shows off his physique before and after a Cenegenics programme

Some 13,000 clients have so far spent thousands of dollars on a technique known as Cenegenics (from the Greek for "new beginning"). As post-war baby boomers enter their 60s, it promises to boost performance from the office to the gym to the bedroom.

The initial one-day $2,995 evaluation at the Cenegenics Medical Institute (CMI) in Las Vegas, has already attracted a handful of unnamed Britons seeking the secret of Dr Life's remarkable torso.

However, unlike many other health fads, there is one reason why it may not prove popular.

Cenegenics was the brainchild of Alan Mintz, a radiologist, whose own buffed body also used to be the best advertising for his business - until he died in June, aged 69, five years short of the average male American life expectancy.

His death prompted internet speculation that he paid the ultimate price for using human growth hormones. But the CMI has been at pains to assert that Dr Mintz's passing was the result of a brain haemorrhage. His decline was due to an accident in the gym, according to Dr Life, his friend and personal physician, who also works for Cenegenics in Las Vegas.

After the initial evaluation, clients spend up to $13,000 on exercise and diet regimes, supplemented by vitamins and, in most cases, hormone replenishment such as testosterone.

Approximately 20 per cent are also prescribed injections of human growth hormones if they are diagnosed as demonstrating adult growth hormone deficiency (AGHD).

Critics say that it is unproven and potentially dangerous. Tom Perls, a professor of medicine at Boston University, expressed surprise at the number of Cenegenics clients diagnosed with AGHD, as he said the condition normally affects three people in 10,000.

In an interview outlining his philosophy last year, Dr Mintz listed a panoply of positives that he attributed to human growth hormone. They include a decrease in fat and skin wrinkling, an increase in muscle and improved mood.

"Next year does not have to be worse than this year," Dr Mintz said. "How about good sexual activity with your loved one once a week, twice a week, feeling good about it?"
    Source:
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

WTF? He looks gross

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

eeewwwwwww gross! im sorry but at some point you just need to age w/ grace!

^I know you really want him Alice.
    Last edited by Elvira; September 9th, 2007 at 03:04 PM.
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

Googled him. 'Science of youthful aging" at Dr.Life.com.

uh...sorry buddy but you need to redo that site to be "The science of youthful aging(fromthe neck down though only)

Body looks really good by just about any standard..but the fucker still is ugly and looks from teh neck up even older than 67-and the combo of very young vital looking body and older man face is REVOLTIMG~~~looks like they took one head and stuck it on a VERY different body.

Take it easy on the pills, injections, etc doc until you can get some of that shit to rise above the neckline

****Just remembered what this reminded me of --that take on ..BO DEREK IN 10- RUTH GORDON FACE..on a young woman's body!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

SVZ

I'd rather look like the after and have a displaced head than looking like I was lactating and pregnant...

I'm sure he'd look better if he wore some clothes and wasn't so damn show-offy.

I think he looks great!

Good for him.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

That's quite a transformation.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

So THAT is what Madonna is up to!

Those injections do work for a little while but I was reading the research about the actual drugs & it usually backfires after a couple years and causes more problems than its worth.
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

Thread Information