Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Botched tummy tucks and glued back ears: dramatic rise in DIY plastic surgery

Default Botched tummy tucks and glued back ears: dramatic rise in DIY plastic surgery

Botched tummy tucks and glued back ears: dramatic rise in DIY plastic surgery

More and more people are so unhappy with their bodies that they are resorting to attempting surgery on themselves

function show(boxid) {if (boxid == 'one') { hideall(); showstuff('one');}if (boxid == 'two') { hideall(); showstuff('two')}}function hideall(){hidestuff('one');hidestuff('two');}

Some people are so desperate to change their appearance that they have glued back their ears, tried to iron the wrinkles off their face and even cut open their stomachs in botched DIY tummy-tucks, according to a top psychologist.
    Dr David Veale, a psychologist at the celebrity Priory Hospital in London, was speaking to an audience of psychologists at a conference in Bristol organised by the Centre of Appearance Research.
    He said that the rise of 'DIY cosmetic surgery' was being driven by a celebrity culture which made people dissatisfied with their own bodies.
    He said: "I have seen desperate people in the past who have glued their ears back and cut into their stomach in a bid to be thin.
    "The worst case I am aware of is a man who did a DIY nose job. He pushed a chisel up his nose and then replaced the cartilage he had taken off with a chicken bone.
    "These are very extreme cases but they do happen. Some people are very, very desperate and their image of themselves is totally distorted.
    "These are people who can't afford to go to a surgeon. I have had women who have drawn what they think they look like and you wouldn't believe how wrong they really are."
    The psychologist also warned that desperate people - especially women - were feeling pressurised with the increase focus on beauty.
    "DIY cosmetic surgery is used by the most depressed and the most desperate of people," he said.
    "Over the past few years it has increased and this is the result of our society. We now focus more on looks than we have in a long time.
    "And this is linked with the amount of money that is around. The people who have lots of money can afford plastic surgery and then as a result are putting more of a focus on looks and outer beauty."
    Dr Veale said that this worrying trend for DIY cosmetic surgery was, in part, fueled by celebrity culture.
    "Celebrity life is not the same as that experienced by most of us and it's important we don't see what's normal for celebrities as desirable in our everyday lives." Delegates at the conference called for plastic surgeons to make greater use of psychologists to ensure patients with severe body-image disorders do not undergo unnecessary operations.

Botched tummy tucks and glued back ears: dramatic rise in DIY plastic surgery | the Daily Mail

I'm kind of a DIY-er, but I think I would probably consult the help of a professional for surgery. Call me crazy.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

well, you gotta admire their tenacity.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Mock. You gotta mock their tenacity.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Bronze Member

A guy performing a nose job on himself with a chisel and a chicken bone?! I'd like to see how that turned out... Or not - it sounds like a nightmare!

If you are STUPID enough to attempt any kind of surgery on yourself, how can you not expect to come out fucked up...
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

hospitals should refuse to repair the damage unless they agree to get sterilised too.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Oh my god. I want to throw up now.

thats messed up, they end up looking worse anyways.

Christ on a cracker! These people need professional help, not cosmetic surgery.
    I saw a film today, oh boy.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    hospitals should refuse to repair the damage unless they agree to get sterilised too.
    LOL
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

I was watching some show where they arrested some guy who killed his friend by accident while attempting to perform liposuction to his abdomen. Apparently these two boneheads 'read up' on how to perform this procedure & thought it would work.Idiots.
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

Woah, some people are srewed up big time. It's therapy they need not ps

Quote Originally Posted by blissfullyunaware View Post
    I was watching some show where they arrested some guy who killed his friend by accident while attempting to perform liposuction to his abdomen. Apparently these two boneheads 'read up' on how to perform this procedure & thought it would work.Idiots.
    $10 says it involved a vaccum cleaner.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Oh god this is such a horror story....i'm totally and utterly freaked out by the chicken bone nose story...i think i'm gonna go vomit now....
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information