Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Honey
  • 1 Post By InigoMontoya

Thread: Frances McDormand on plastic surgery: It makes me ‘full of fear and rage’

Default Frances McDormand on plastic surgery: It makes me ‘full of fear and rage’

Frances McDormand is promoting her new miniseries, Olive Kitteridge. The project is about a family who lives in a New England town where not everything is as safe and sound as it seems. The town’s residents are all having affairs and enduring various tragedies. Frances did a new interview with the New York Times where she calls the miniseries “a subversive act” because it provides so many aging actors with roles. Frances is 57 and keeps a low profile for a woman who’s married to a Coen Brother.
    Frances may appear in many of Joel Cohen’s movies (I loved her in Burn After Reading), but she’s not getting the roles because she’s married to the director. Frances is immensely talented. She won the Oscar for Fargo and hid her award behind a bunch of books on an obscure shelf. She sometimes dresses it in “a cowboy outfit” for fun but mostly ignores it. Frances was also nominated for Almost Famous and two other movie roles. She’s a good egg, as they say. Here are her feelings on aging and plastic surgery:

On aging in Hollywood: “We are on red alert when it comes to how we are perceiving ourselves as a species. There’s no desire to be an adult. Adulthood is not a goal. It’s not seen as a gift. Something happened culturally: No one is supposed to age past 45 — sartorially, cosmetically, attitudinally. Everybody dresses like a teenager. Everybody dyes their hair. Everybody is concerned about a smooth face.”

Her feelings on plastic surgery: “I have not mutated myself in any way. Joel and I have this conversation a lot. He literally has to stop me physically from saying something to people — to friends who’ve had work. I’m so full of fear and rage about what they’ve done.” Looking old, she said, should be a boast about experiences accrued and insights acquired, a triumphant signal “that you are someone who, beneath that white hair, has a card catalog of valuable information.”

Her early career: “I was often told that I wasn’t a thing. She’s not pretty enough, she’s not tall enough, she’s not thin enough, she’s not fat enough.’ I thought, ‘O.K., someday you’re going to be looking for someone not, not, not, not, and there I’ll be.’”

Her marriage to Joel: “I’ve been with a man for 35 years who looks at me and loves what he sees.”

She hasn’t watched FX’s Fargo: “Not interested,” she said, explaining that she’s leery of “the cultural appropriation of intellectual property.”
    [From NYT]

Cele|bitchy | Frances McDormand on plastic surgery: It makes me ‘full of fear and rage’
    azoria and Cinnamon*Girl like this.

I agree with her. And I enjoy her work. I had no idea she was married to a Coen. 35 years is a damn miracle.

you know every woman she knows just asked herself if it's her frances is referring to lol
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Ha, she's talking about all of them!

Love her. Even more now.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Isn't she just the kind of friend you love to have on a rollicking girls night out?

In all humans I'll take character and personality over looks, seven days a week. If I want looks I'll buy a painting and hang it on the wall.

I heart her.
    Heidi Ho likes this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

She's awesome.

I don't think I have ever heard of her before but she sounds like a great person.

I love Frances McDormand's face. It's so interesting and expressive. I thought so the first time I ever saw her - in that stupid Richard Gere/ Ed Norton movie in the mid 90s. It's always refreshing to see an actress who doesn't fit that bland Hollywood mold. She's real life.
    Last edited by qwerty; October 19th, 2014 at 10:28 PM.
    Why do people say, "Grow some balls?" Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

I loved her in Fargo.

^"Was he just 'funny' looking or 'funny, ha-ha' looking?"

"Don't get snippy with me, Mr. Lundergard. I'm just trying to do my job."

"Son of a Gunderson."

Love that movie.

Loved her in Almost Famous.

Thread Information