Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What in the good gravy is going on with Tori Amos's face?

Default What in the good gravy is going on with Tori Amos's face?

[YOUTUBE]cQe5B4JHuRA[/YOUTUBE]

In some photos she seems to be aging naturally, in others horribly and still others she looks like the worst kind of plastic surgery addict (?)

http://popdust3.presscdn.com/wp-cont...amos-video.jpg
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

She was so beautiful. Shame.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Its odd because I saw one photo that really surprised me so I went through a GIS of supposedly recent photos and they looked like about 5 different women. I know you can do a lot with makeup, but dayem.
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I've loved her music since 1991. I got curious about her face a while back and checked out some fan forums. Judging from the various comment threads, the consensus mostly seems to be that she began with botox in the mid 2000s due to sun damage (she's very fair-skinned and a self-confessed sun worshiper who spends a lot of time in Florida.)

Then around 2005, she had a browlift. This raised her hairline and gave her a slight case of 'cat eye'--you can see the same phenomenon with Angelina Jolie's brow lift, except she was previously kinda bug-eyed, and having the outer corners of her eyes lifted a bit seems to have improved her looks. It just makes Tori look like an elf...

Anyway, since then Tori clearly has had additional upper eye work. Her eyes were previously slightly hooded, and now her eyelids are much larger and fully visible.

Apparently she had a bad health crisis in 2008-9 and had to have emergency surgery for her ulcerative colitis (which she's mentioned in interviews.) Since then she's been on steroids off and on, which explains the pregnancy rumors as well as the chipmunk cheeks she's occasionally exhibited. I think there's a pic of her looking like that in another thread here. Throughout '09-'10 some pics show her looking really sickly and prematurely aged. Her voice was very iffy throughout that period as well, and to me, it sounds permanently diminished now though still beautiful. That grieves me way more than the face stuff...

I dunno if it's illness or the browlift that fucked up her hair, but the last time I saw her in person at a show (wigless, outside with fans) it looked okay but much thinner. Since '07 she seldom appears formally without a wig. I think she's also taken to fillers and such to help restore her appearance. It doesn't help that the art direction on her albums since she went semi-indie completely sucks. Such bad photoshopping, ugh. She actually looks much more like her old self in person.

I know she had a live-in chef and nutritionist for a long time, probably still does. I suspect her health is more fragile than she likes people to know, though I hope I'm wrong about that.

I wish she would've left her face alone. Losing her distinctive eye appearance was just too radical and not flattering. Also, as some folks have pointed out, it's not really in keeping with a lot of her expressed views about femininity, image and self-esteem. But midlife is rough, I think. I have a lot of compassion for her; she seems like a very vulnerable soul.

Have you heard her latest album? I listened to quite a lot of it (kinda sorta leaked lol) and it's really, REALLY good imo. Best thing she's done in ten years.
    ariesallover likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Steroids can cause hair loss, which might explain the wigs. That tight shiny forehead just screams botox.
    ariesallover likes this.

Wow, Kath. You explained all of my concerns quite succinctly. Puffy face, weird eyes, wig, brow lift and all.

I didn't really enjoy much or Tori's work after Boys for Pele, but I still have four of her albums that I really enjoy.
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    Apparently she had a bad health crisis in 2008-9 and had to have emergency surgery for her ulcerative colitis (which she's mentioned in interviews.)
    Wow, ulcerative colitis. That is a really tough disease to suffer through.

She looks Aguilera-esque now.
    I guess a septuagenarian coming at you with a boner and a roofied drink would give you plenty of time to run.
    -Beeyotch

I love Tori!!!! I listened to her and Nine Inch Nails all through High School and beyond.

I haven't listened to most of her new stuff since "From the Choirgirl Hotel", though. It was getting away from what I loved most about her music...I don't think I can explain it...Hmmmm....Maybe the simplicity I loved? Her and her piano were amazing!!!!
    Loved seeing her in concert as well.

I did not know about her health issues, I hope she is doing better!!!

When I saw that one picture of her where she looked like a troll, I was so sad!!! I just convinced myself it was photoshopped by haters

@Kathie: Thank you for all the info above!! I think I'm going to check out her newest album. You say it's the best thing she's done in ten years...So is it back to the basics? That was her best time IMO.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    ~Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by gardenwitch View Post
    I love Tori!!!! I listened to her and Nine Inch Nails all through High School and beyond.

I haven't listened to most of her new stuff since "From the Choirgirl Hotel", though. It was getting away from what I loved most about her music...I don't think I can explain it...Hmmmm....Maybe the simplicity I loved? Her and her piano were amazing!!!!
    Loved seeing her in concert as well.

I did not know about her health issues, I hope she is doing better!!!

When I saw that one picture of her where she looked like a troll, I was so sad!!! I just convinced myself it was photoshopped by haters

@Kathie: Thank you for all the info above!! I think I'm going to check out her newest album. You say it's the best thing she's done in ten years...So is it back to the basics? That was her best time IMO.
    Hee, I loved her and NIN too. Still do, really. You know she dated Trent Reznor for a while? Apparently it ended in extreme rancor and thrown cutlery, lol.

I still think she's monumentally talented as well as crazy in a mostly good way. Her latest is called "Night Of Hunters" and it's streaming free on NPR:

First Listen: Tori Amos, 'Night Of Hunters' : NPR

It's sort of back to basics in that it features the piano, no bad pseudo-rock sound or cliched guitar licks. The rest of the accompaniment is a string quartet and I think a clarinetist; it's actually a classical album, recorded for Deutsche Grammophon. The music is Tori riffing on a series of classical composers, including Satie, Debussy and Bach; the lyrics are all hers. It's a musical play/near-operetta kind of deal, in a sense, in that the songs tell a story.

I like it a lot. It's very beautiful, unusual and creative. Her daughter and niece also sing on it and thankfully they're both great. Her daughter is a trip, especially. I was very leery but after hearing her I kinda fell in love with her voice. She is 11 but has the smoky, worldly-wise sound and style of a middle-aged jazz singer. Not kidding--I played her solo for my husband and asked him "how old do you think this singer is?" and he replied "45?" He was flabbergasted when I told him.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post

she reminds me of Miley Cyrus fugly little sister in this pic

Gold Member

^ Well, that's still a few surgeries behing little pretty cutie-pie Cyrus.

I assume she has been on and off Prednisone for her UC. I have UC as well and have been one and off prednisone for the past 5 years. The side effects are terrible. That would definitely explain her "moon face" appearance sometimes as well as her use of wigs. It does a number on your hair I have a friend who is a stylist and we have been working on improving the strength of my hair. She says that you can really tell when I'm on more medication rather than less. That being said, Tori has done some other work that really took away from her naturally good looks.
    ariesallover and Laurent like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    I assume she has been on and off Prednisone for her UC. I have UC as well and have been one and off prednisone for the past 5 years. The side effects are terrible. That would definitely explain her "moon face" appearance sometimes as well as her use of wigs. It does a number on your hair I have a friend who is a stylist and we have been working on improving the strength of my hair. She says that you can really tell when I'm on more medication rather than less. That being said, Tori has done some other work that really took away from her naturally good looks.
    I'm so sorry about your health! All the gut disorders really suck but I think Crohn's and UC are the worst. Pred can be a nightmare for the REST of your body.

Tori is looking a hell of a lot better lately. She can't undo the bad eyelid work, but she's obviously in much better health. She's also finally gotten a handle on the tasteful use of natural looking wigs. This isn't even the best one I've seen, but it looks fine. Her new album is really, really good too. She seems happy for the first time in years. I think that does show in one's face.

-George Carlin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    Try Viviscal. It really works. Look for good deals on Ebay, though. You need two tablets a day for the first 6 months, then only 1 a day after.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information