Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tia Carrere out and about in Malibu with an old man (06/26/2006)

Bronze Member

Cool Re: Tia Carrere out and about in Malibu with an old man (06/26/2006)

Quote Originally Posted by angelais
    My son is half Asian. Everyone has their own opinion, but to me Oriental reminds me of describing someones choice of decor in their home or something. (i.e. Oriental rug)

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Yes that correct Oriental can also be a style of cooking, like Cajun.
    The proper term is Asian.

Default Re: Tia Carrere out and about in Malibu with an old man (06/26/2006)

Quote Originally Posted by angelais
    My son is half Asian. Everyone has their own opinion, but to me Oriental reminds me of describing someones choice of decor in their home or something. (i.e. Oriental rug)

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Yeah, that's right. In my family Oriental means or is taken as "coming or hailing from the Orient". Nothing improper, demeaning or insulting about it.

I'm sorry, but here's where things get way out of hand, see below.

LGBT APA Language and Terminology Guide
    media center > resource kits > APA Heritage Month 2003 > LGBT APA Language and Terminology Guide

The following is a glossary of terms and general rules to consider when covering lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Asian Pacific Americans. For a more complete glossary of terms on Asians and Asian Pacific Americans, we encourage you to request a style guide from the Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA), 1182 Market Street, Suite 320, San Francisco, CA 94102, phone: 415.346.2051, fax: 415.346.6343, e-mail: national@aaja.org

Glossary of Terms

Asian - A term either describing somebody of Asian descent or something that comes from Asia. When writing about Asians who are American citizens, however, use Asian American, Asian Pacific American (APA), Asian Pacific Islander (API) or Asian American & Pacific Islander (AAPI).

Asian American - This phrase was first used in the 1980 Census to describe American citizens from all Asian ethnic backgrounds. It is a commonly used term and is preferred by those of Asian descent who were born and raised in the United States.

Asian Pacific American - This is a relatively new term that is inclusive of both Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders. It is abbreviated as APA. Some other acceptable terms are Asian Pacific Islander (API) and Asian American & Pacific Islander (AAPI)

Curry Queen - This is a slang term used to describe LGBT people, especially Caucasian men, who only date South Asian Americans. While it is used tongue-in-cheek, it is considered derogatory by some people and, therefore, advised that media avoid it, unless quoting someone who self-identifies that way or when it is used by an South Asian American in a more opinion or editorial tone.

Desi - This is a colloquial name for people of South Asian descent, particularly those of Indian and Pakistani descent, to self describe each other or their community. Some consider the word derogatory outside of the South Asian community. The media should avoid using this term unless quoting somebody or used within a title of an event.

Hapa - This is a term that describes somebody of mixed ethnic or racial background, usually (but not always) Asian/Pacific Islander and Caucasian. It comes from the Hawaiian term "hapa haole," which means "half-white." It is becoming increasingly used by the Asian Pacific American community and is not necessarily considered derogatory.

Indian, Indian American - Terms used to describe somebody of Indian descent (not "Native American"). Avoid using the term "Asian Indian."

Filipino/Filipina - Filipino is used to describe either men or mixed groups; Filipina is used to describe women. Since there is no "f" sound in Tagalog, the official language of the Philippines, an alternate spelling is either Pilipino or Pilipina.

Native Hawaiian - This is a term to describe somebody who is born of Polynesian descent whose ancestors are originally from Hawaii. This is not to be confused with somebody who resides within the state of Hawaii.

NHOPI - An acronym for Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander

Pacific Islander - A term to describe somebody of Polynesian, Micronesian or Melanesian descent. This includes, but is not limited to, people of Native Hawaiian, Samoan, Tongan, Fijian and Guamanian descent.

Pinoy/Pinay (pee-NOY/pee-NAHY) - This term describes a Filipino American man (Pinoy) or woman (Pinay). While it is widely used within Filipino American communities, some consider it derogatory. It is advised that media use "Filipino American" unless quoting someone who self-identifies that way.

Potato Queen - This is a slang term used to describe LGBT Asian Pacific Americans, particularly men, who only date Caucasian people. While it is used tongue-in-cheek, it is considered derogatory by some people and, therefore, advised that media avoid it, unless quoting someone who self-identifies that way or when it is used by an Asian Pacific American in a more opinion or editorial tone.

QAPA - Queer Asian Pacific American. An acronym that is used to describe lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning Asian Pacific Americans. While commonly used within the LGBT Asian Pacific American community, it is not universally used.

Rice Queen - This is a slang term used to describe LGBT people, especially Caucasian men, who only date Asian Pacific Americans. While it is used tongue-in-cheek, it is considered derogatory by some people and, therefore, advised that media avoid it, unless quoting someone who self-identifies that way or when it is used by an Asian Pacific American in a more opinion or editorial tone.

South Asia - An area of Asia that includes the Indian subcontinent. It is made up of the following countries: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Tibet.

Southeast Asia - An area of Asia that is comprised of the following countries: Brunei, Burma (Myanmar), Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.

Sticky Rice - This is a slang term used to describe LGBT Asian Pacific Americans, particularly men, who only date other Asian Pacific Americans. While it is used tongue-in-cheek, it is considered derogatory by some people and, therefore, advised that media avoid it, unless quoting someone who self-identifies that way or when it is used by an Asian Pacific American in a more opinion or editorial tone.

Helpful Hints

Include lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Asians and Asian Pacific Americans in coverage that does not necessarily have to do with Asia or Asian Pacific Americans. Interviews and public opinion pieces are good opportunities to be inclusive.
    Differentiate between those who are American citizens and those who are citizens of other countries. For example, if a story is about American citizens of Japanese descent, use "Japanese American" rather than "Japanese." The same rule can be used for other ethnic groups -- Chinese/Chinese Americans, Filipinos/Filipino Americans, Korean/Korean Americans, Indian/Indian American, etc. This reduces implication that people of Asian descent are all foreign or foreign born. If referring to Asians from both Asia and the U.S., the term "people of Asian descent" can alternately be used. This can also apply when describing specific ethnicities.
    Avoid hyphenating racial and/or ethnic identities. For example, use "Chinese American" or "Asian American" rather than "Chinese-American" or "Asian-American." Hyphenation implies that a person is not a true American.
    Avoid common stereotypes, particularly in ad and fashion spread imagery. Images of the "China Doll" and "Geisha" reinforce stereotypes of Asian Pacific Americans as passive, weak or sex objects. Conversely, images of the "Dragon Lady" imply Asians and Asian Americans cannot be trusted and are foreign enemies.
    Don't exoticize Asians, Asian Americans and Asian culture. This reinforces stereotypes of Asians and Asian Americans as being "foreigners." There are a large number of Asian Americans who were born in the United States and have never been to their ancestors' homelands. When writing specifically about Asian Americans, try to avoid making connections to Asian countries unless the article is specifically about Asian Americans visiting Asia or about immigration. Again, this reinforces stereotypes of Asian Americans being foreign.
    Avoid Eurocentric terms such as "The Orient" and "Far East" to describe Asia. Also, avoid the term "Asiatic" as an adjective to describe Asians or Asian Americans. This implies an enemy race.
    Do not use the term "Oriental" to describe somebody of Asian descent. This term is only appropriate for describing inanimate objects, such as rugs.

Source: http://www.glaad.org/media/apa/apa_language.php
    It's American rules made up by some overzealous Americans who got way overboard with being politically correct. I'm an American, but I have roots all across the globe. America DOES NOT decide for the world, and especially not for people of, in this case, certain races, what they should call themselves, or what they should feel comfortable with. Asian AND Oriental is acceptable in my Asian/Oriental (amongst other races) family. Nobody but WE should have the last word on that.
    Last edited by HWBL; July 3rd, 2006 at 04:57 PM.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Default Re: Tia Carrere out and about in Malibu with an old man (06/26/2006)

I think that's her dad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information