Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shakira at a press conference in Moscow (07/23/2006)

Bronze Member

Default Re: Shakira at a press conference in Moscow (07/23/2006)

I don't particularly care for her style of dress or her voice but she is a hell of a performer! She always puts on a great show and she's an amazing dancer!!

Elite Member

i don't like her voice but her dancing is so cool
    this outfit is not the greatest..

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lakesweetjane View Post
    Her style may not be the best but there is something honest about her face. It seems real and unphased by her fame. A natural sweetness.
    However who knows she could be a bitch! Doubt it though
    I live in South America and close to a city by the beach (Punta del Este) where she owns "estancias" (lands / a big ranch).

I've heard (of) Shakira as a singer since she was about 17 years old.
    That's when her fame went beyond her native Colombia and reached other South American countries. I did not like her style... her lamb voice. But I admit that her lyrics were good and that she was "different", not the mainstream female bimbo singer.

Then she got into the US market and had a total makeover. Got thinner, dyied her hair blonde, even lightened her eyebrows, and got a "less dark" look in favor of a more "hip" look. I was disappointed in her because it felt as if she had sell out herself to get into the US market.

I still believe she has some talent, though, when it comes to her skills to make music and lyrics (especially music, she is smart at combining different music styles). I still don't like her voice, in general. I am not a fan of hers and wished she went back to her natural dark hair , although I prefer her currently not overly-made up look over the heavy eyeliner-dark look (too dark for someone who was 19 or 20 years old) she had back in her first success years here (maybe because she went then for a more dramatic look tha now... now she goes for a more "approachable girl next door" look).

I don't like how her hair looks now, as you say, fried out, too blonde, etc. I am not a fan of how she dresses, neither. But I like how she dances, I admit it.

And regarding the question made above... that is one I think I can answer. Well, I don't know if she's changed much over the last years, but I know plenty of people who "knew" her even before he became a "celebrity" and during her first celebrity years.

I must confess nobody ever said anything bad about her. I am not a fan of hers, so I don't have any reason to stand up for her. But I must admit that people in my country who have had the chance to bump into her in the beach, some hotel, or who have worked occasionally for her or around her all have said that she is humble and very into her work. Apparently she *really* works her butt off at planning her shows, even checks the sound with the sound people, etc. etc. She is quite savvy in music matters (all have said that) and is "one of the team" when she is working.
    Nobody said that she has diva-ish behavior. She likes sushi, and apparently she eats a lot of it... but she does not have any major "extravagant" taste or demand, at least when around here! (when traveling in these latitudes). I can't stand his boyfriend, and most people can't stand him *LOL*, but nobody ever says anything bad about her.

And I have also known Colombian people who have seen her working in her "charity causes" and they said that it is not a bluff... she really works her butt off for the causes she stands for and does not just smile for the cameras while doing that kind of things. Apparently she usually does not even go to the places where she helps kids (it's in the forest of Colombia) with crew and camera people. She goes there and really works and is really involved in the cause of educating kids in the poorest places in Colombia.

She gets on my nerves sometimes, for different reasons, but I must admit that nothing and no one, ever, has said one single bad thing about her among those who have met her directly, been around her, etc. And she is way smarter than she appears to be, everyone seems to agree on that. Maybe she is yet another one who plays the dumb card because she knows that smart women in Hollywood don't get as far as the dumb bimbo ones?? I don't know.

In any case, summing up... we might not like many things about her, but she really seems like a very nice person "in person", with everyone around her and she keeps a low profile when she is not working or performing. I know many people who have passed her by during her vacations in Punta del Este and only realized minutes later, when seeing others staring or checking her out twice, that the girl who was passing by was indeed Shakira.
    Last edited by Mysteryagain2; August 3rd, 2006 at 06:02 PM. Reason: It was one big block, I thought of making paragraphs to make it easier to read.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryagain2 View Post
    But I must admit that people in my country who have had the chance to bump into her in the beach, some hotel, or who have worked occasionally for her or around her all have said that she is humble and very into her work...She gets on my nerves sometimes, for different reasons, but I must admit that nothing and no one, ever, has said one single bad thing about her among those who have met her directly, been around her, etc.
    interesting post
    i'm really glad to hear the above
    hard-working and humble rocks!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information