Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Natalie Portman lectures at Columbia University (03/06/2006)

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Re: Natalie Portman lectures at Columbia University (03/06/2006)

I kind of consider BA nowadays as almost nothing...sorry about my hopelessness. I really don't associate anything grandeur with it and there are far more ppl than ever who go and get BAs in this day and age. It's not all that hard to get a BA but you really have to work to get MAs and PhDs. You have to do a legitimate academic research and write 30+ page thesis, 60+ page dissertation (I might not be accurate in the required length but you get the idea...)
    I have a BA and am bilingual plus I learned another languages at college (which I wouldn't lie and claim that I am fluent in). That's not anything to brag about. Yea she's gone to an Ivy league college but there are some of us here who have also gone to and graduated from one of the top/best unis in our countries.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies
    I kind of consider BA nowadays as almost nothing...sorry about my hopelessness. I really don't associate anything grandeur with it and there are far more ppl than ever who go and get BAs in this day and age. It's not all that hard to get a BA but you really have to work to get MAs and PhDs. You have to do a legitimate academic research and write 30+ page thesis, 60+ page dissertation (I might not be accurate in the required length but you get the idea...)
    I have a BA and am bilingual plus I learned another languages at college (which I wouldn't lie and claim that I am fluent in). That's not anything to brag about. Yea she's gone to an Ivy league college but there are some of us here who have also gone to and graduated from one of the top/best unis in our countries.
    BUT did you take time off your million dollar career to do so?

I'm sorry, she may come off pretentious in interviews and you don't have to like or admire her but I give her credit for pursuing her education when she was already established in her acting career.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by stevie
    Ahem... who thinks that psychology is for dumb people? It's not, its anything but.

Stevie, someone else earlier in the thread made that comment. I found it a bit offensive myself. And I agree with you.

She's getting a little overexposed for me, lately. Maybe it's that ridiculous video *thing* she did with the cussing & everything.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by Luna
    BUT did you take time off your million dollar career to do so?
    I'm sorry, she may come off pretentious in interviews and you don't have to like or admire her but I give her credit for pursuing her education when she was already established in her acting career.
    That doesn't make her any superior than the rest of ppl who acquired their BAs. I have far more respect and adminration for ordinary folks who held a full time job/ 2 jobs just to pay for the tuition on their own while managing full-time course load. And there are financially struggling and unfortunate ppl who work their butt off to get a scholarship to pursuie their education, too bad they weren't actors/actresses earning millions.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

SVZ

i think she's getting at the fact that she didn't have to do anything.

i mean mary kate and her twin dropped out of NYU, and is it having a negative effect on them? no, they didn't have to do anything.

school to someone who's a successful actor is an extraneous thing, having a diploma or doctorate doesn't mean anything when they go into that casting room.

And if she was serious about psychology, she would have gotten a bachelor of science in it.
    What? I was serious & got a BA. Serious enough to go to graduate school & spend 12 years working professionally in the field. Is that serious enough for you?

Silver Member

I think it is difficult to get a BA depending on what school you go to and what field you choose. If you really love a subject but dont pick it up as easily as some others might, it can be extremely difficult and even depressing at times. I say this from experience, because I've been busting my butt for the past 4 years trying to accomplish this (but I'm getting a BS, dont know if that makes much difference).

BA's are practically worthless on the job market today. They're a dime a dozen. That's not to say they can't be very hard. BA's in psychology are notoriously easy though, at least at my university and those of my friends.
    BS's in any field are much, much harder dragonlady. There are many more requirements, which are also more difficult than the requirements for a BA.

^^^I don't know what university you went to, but please don't paint mine with the same brush. BS's have different requirements, but 6 of one, half dozen of the other. And useless? I've done quite well with mine, thankyouverymuch. It was a perfectly useful foundation for further education.

Btw, the topic of this thread is Natalie Portman. I don't see the point in going off on a tanget of minimizing & disrespecting the education that some of us have achieved. Unless you just like to piss people off.

SVZ

a lot of people take psychology because it's an interesting topic, and well not everyone knows what they want to do and psych. is alot more interesting on paper than say...chemical engineering not everyone who graduats with a BA in psychology ends up becoming a psychologist, some go on to be doctors, work in marketing, whatever. education is very open ended these days, unless it's business

People were talking about BA's and BS's so I was just commenting on that. And as you said, your BA was a good foundation for further education. What I was saying was that nowadays, for many people, that is what it has become - a foundation for further education. In order to get a good job, more education is needed as in a Masters or PhD, which was not the case in the not too distant past.
    As for your degrees in psychology, you are obviously a very dedicated and successful person in your field. All I meant to say was that BA's in psychology have become synonymous for some people with a sort of catch-all degree for students who are looking for an easy concentration or who haven't really decided what they want yet. That's not to say it can't be a challenging field for those who are dedicated to it, and that a person cannot take on a challenging undergraduate course load in psychology. I just don't think Natalie falls into the category. I'm sorry I wasn't more diplomatic about it. I'm studying for a big midterm and I just come on this message board to blow of some steam in between studying sessions.

SVZ

another interesting tidbit, i believe keria knightley has a BA in psychology, or she was planning on going back on doing one.

and i think one of the olsen twins did it as well?

I work inpatient psych as a nurse, and I work closely with many people who have degrees in psychology, whether they are BA or BS. I find these people to be a wealth of knowledge. Yes, many of them are going on for their Masters or even higher, so their job is just sort of a transitional one.
    I was a psych major before nursing school. I have one semester left. Never finished because I knew too many people that could not find a job.
    However, these days I also know plenty of people with engineering degrees, teaching degrees and computer science degrees who cannot find jobs in their chosen field.

I remember as psych major (BA) I had to take math including Statistics, and a boatload of science classes. Enough that when I went to nursing school the only pre-req I did not have fulfilled was A&P. Maybe it depends on your chosen school.

SVZ

is it because their educations were too broad? i'm hearing alot of that, at least with the people i've met is that they regret not specializing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information