Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Natalie Portman lectures at Columbia University (03/06/2006)

Default Re: Natalie Portman lectures at Columbia University (03/06/2006)

Jesus christ, the only two languages she speaks fluently are English and Hebrew. She's taken taken a million different language courses in various languages but could not converse in any of them by a long a shot. I know a French journalist who interviewed her once when she was promoting "Paris Je T'Aime" and she refused to do the interview in French because she couldn't. During the interview, she also refused to sign an autograph when someone asked her for one very politely.
    Plus, she needs a translator when visiting Japan, even though Japanese is supposedly one of these languages she is so fluent in.
    If a celebrity can put one foot in front of the other and chew at the same time, people are astounded by their astronomical intellects.
    And if she was serious about psychology, she would have gotten a bachelor of science in it.
    And Jodie Foster majored in English literature and graduated magna cum laude. When was the last time she mentioned that in interview about some asinine movie she was promoting?

Bronze Member

Somerset i couldn't agree more with you!

Beautiful and smart which is a very rare combination in this world, let alone Hollywood

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Don't you need a PhD to actually become a professor?
    She only has BA, it's not fair to all the other intelligent and not-so-famous folks who have MA and PhD but can't get a professory job or aren't invited to give lectures though their works are more significant than her films.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Wow Somerset - point well made!
    AliceInWonderland that was hilarious!!!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Just read where her lecture was part of that MTV show where they bring in stars for guest lectures. And no you don't have to have a PhD to teach. I had many grad students who taught various classes in college and my dad was a guest lecturer for years with an MD not a PhD.

Here is some more info about her education...

First of all the "Answer Bitch" from E Online declared that she is probably one of the few stars that actually got into an ivy league school on her own merrit. Here is the link..

http://www.eonline.com/Gossip/Answer...05/050108.html

You'll notice that she was a semi-finalist in the Intel Science Talent Search when she was in high school...that is not somethig to sneeze at. This is a bright girl regardless of if she is completely fluent in 5 languages. I wouldn't argue this for all stars but I think she got into Harvard on her merrit. Apparently, her SAT test scores were also spectacular, as cited by several different sources.

Education

Portman has held a 4.0 GPA throughout her high school and college academic career.

After high school, Portman enrolled at Harvard College where she graduated with a bachelor's degree in Psychology on June 5, 2003. Portman is credited as a research assistant to Harvard Professor Alan Dershowitz's Case For Israel. She was a research assistant to Dr. Stephen M. Kosslyn's psychology lab as well. In 2005 Portman pursued graduate studies at Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Israel.
    In addition to her native Hebrew and English, Portman has studied and/or can speak (to some degree) French, Japanese, German, and a little Spanish, and she is now learning to speak Arabic.

As a student, Portman co-authored two research papers which were published in professional scientific journals:
    • Her 1998 high school paper on the "Enzymatic Production of Hydrogen" earned her a semi-finalist placement in the Intel Science Talent Search [2].
    • In 2002, she contributed to a study on memory called Frontal Lobe Activation During Object Permanence during her psychology studies at Harvard [3].
    from - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalie_Portman

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset
    And Jodie Foster majored in English literature and graduated magna cum laude. When was the last time she mentioned that in interview about some asinine movie she was promoting?
    As far as Jodi Foster...when did she graduate from Yale? Like 15 years ago?? That is why it isn't talked about that much but the fact that we know about means it was discussed repeatedly in interviews at some point in her career.

Natalie only graduated two years ago and I highly doubt she announces to the interviewers as soon as she sits down that she graduated from Harvard. The writers do their research so if you have a beef it is with them for writing about it not her for solicitating attention for it. The woman just went to school and finished her degree which is commendable.

And given that so few young stars can probably write a paragraph...makes her accomplishment all the more astonishing. I would much rather the silly high schoolers worship her than little miss anorexic/bulemic cocaine addicted Lindsey Lohan.
    Last edited by sweet2071; March 8th, 2006 at 10:21 AM.

welcome aboard Sweet,

Natalie seems to be a genuine good lookign and intelligent woman, and I whole heartedly agree that I'd rather girls emulate her than Lindsay, who says she doesn't need college....who DOESN'T need education? (hello, Olsen twins, I'm looking at you!)
    Talent Works, Genius Creates

Bronze Member

I don't think Natalie is that special. Lots of people are smart, get BAs and psychology and speak several languages. I am not surprised to hear she is not fluent in French after all and would like to see video of her speaking or attempting to speak the language. It really annoys me when people claim to be 'fluent' when they can really only hold a basic conversation. I go to school in Spain, write all my exams and papers in Spanish, use the language every day obviously and still I would not consider myself completely fluent. I think Natalie is full of B.S. Languages need to be practised or they are forgotten in no time. Who has the time to keep up 5 languages?

Bronze Member

"Secondly, she has a bachelor of arts in psychology, which every college kid knows is for people who aren't that smart (sorry psych majors)."

I don't know if thats a fair statement. You're talking about 18-20 year old kids making decisions about what to study in school. Quite a few don't know exactly what they want to do with themselves at that point in their life and pick a major that interests them. I don't think that makes them stupid.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by glamazon
    welcome aboard Sweet,

Natalie seems to be a genuine good lookign and intelligent woman, and I whole heartedly agree that I'd rather girls emulate her than Lindsay, who says she doesn't need college....who DOESN'T need education? (hello, Olsen twins, I'm looking at you!)
    Thanks for the warm welcome glamazon

Sorry for the super long post above but I thought it would help clear up some issues being raised.

As for fluency in 5 languages...people who grow up in Europe seem to be able to master 2+ languages pretty frequently. Americans have a tougher time picking them up because they aren't raised with the need for it. I actually knew a kid who was raised bilingual and he picked up languages like it was nothing. I haven't seen him since high school but at that time he was fluent in four languages. But he also played piano by ear with no lessons so he just had a great ear. So there are some people out there that just have a knack for those kind of things.

Holy moly, if you want to make a point on a message board on the internet, you're going to have to reign it in. I sure as hell am not going to read all that.
    What I did read though, was that the Answer Bitch on E!online said it was so, so it must be so. A+ for logic there.
    Plus, wikipedia is an online encyclpedia in which any shmuck, including a Natalie fanboy, can write an entry.
    Regardless, just because she's smart compared to the uneducated inbreds that inhabit hollywood does not mean she's anything special for a normal person. Kids shouldn't be emulating celebrites, period.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset
    Holy moly, if you want to make a point on a message board on the internet, you're going to have to reign it in. I sure as hell am not going to read all that.
    What I did read though, was that the Answer Bitch on E!online said it was so, so it must be so. A+ for logic there.
    Plus, wikipedia is an online encyclpedia in which any shmuck, including a Natalie fanboy, can write an entry.
    Regardless, just because she's smart compared to the uneducated inbreds that inhabit hollywood does not mean she's anything special for a normal person. Kids shouldn't be emulating celebrites, period.
    I'll abreviate one important fact for you...

She was a semi-finalist in what is considered an extrememly prestigous high school science competition. This is a pretty big deal...trust me on this one. Or I could go and find the website with all the info but since you complained before you will just have to take my word for it...I posted all that stuff as you seem to be the type to never concede any point and yet don't really offer up any proof other than your own potentially biased opinion. I simply attempted to at least back up my perception with some semblance of fact.

I find it interesting that you don't challenge the idea that Jodi Foster is intelligent but now she isn't near as cute a Natalie either now is she? So the social stigma that pretty people can't have brains seems to be at play here thus my persistance is wanting to dispell such a an unfair bias.

Trust me...I wouldn't argue this for too many other actors because I do find it appalling how our culture worships them blindly and undeservedly. However, the fact remains...kids worship movie stars period...it is a moot point whether or not they should!

I'm sorry, but any information you have from the internet is not any more reliable than the information I have and on which I base my opinion. In case you've forgotten, you don't know the girl either, even though you obviously have a White Knight complex when it comes to anyone saying anything negative about her. I've read interviews with her and I've come to the conclusion that she says a lot of pretentious and ostentacious things that aren't very intelligent or insightful at all. I think she's mastered the art of being a pseudo-intellectual and most people eat it up with a spoon. I would cut and paste some examples, but I don't really care enough. And I don't care what prizes she's won, I don't think prizes or grades determine a person's intelligence. In any case, her dad's a doctor and I'm sure he didn't help her at all...
    p.s. I am an unabashed feminist and to even suggest that I can't accept she is beautiful and smart is laughable. And personally, I think Jodie is more beautiful than Natalie. You seem to simply take it for granted that everyone thinks the young, generic Natalie is better looking than Jodie.
    Last edited by Somerset; March 8th, 2006 at 07:09 PM.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by robin102978
    "Secondly, she has a bachelor of arts in psychology, which every college kid knows is for people who aren't that smart (sorry psych majors)."

Ahem... who thinks that psychology is for dumb people? It's not, its anything but. You have to be well versed in science, mathematics, and medicine to be a psychology mayor. Granted that at this point she's not a psychologist yet, she needs a doctorate for that, graduating from college is no easy feat, and graduating from college with a psychology mayor isn't easy, don't generalize careers like that.

But I do think she tries too hard to appear smart. I can't give concrete examples b/c I don't want to look around the internet for interviews shes done, boring.

but I have heard her on tv, and half the things she says it feels like she said them word for word from books, it sounds rehearsed.
    Last edited by stevie; March 8th, 2006 at 07:23 PM.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I must admit I have never read any of her interviews so I can't comment on how she comes across. Although sometimes the way a writer flavors the article can really determine how responses come across...the yellow press is alive and well in this country. I agree that not all internet sources are 100% accurate but neither are your traditional paper based mass communication.

I lack a white horse but I do believe that a person should be commended for completing their college education, especially given that Natalie knew she was putting a million dollar career on hold to try to expand her mind a little. So I can't find the energy to have spite for her...I would much rather direct it towards the catalyts that seem to be causing the social decay of this country...namely Paris, Anna Nicole etc.

I think both women are attractive but I would bet the concensus of people would find Natalie to be the more classically beautiful. I also think that both women seem to possess a certain degree of intelligence and so I choose to celebrate that, not chastise it.

The competition takes more than just writing a mini dissertation. They must present it as a poster and be prepared to discuss it with some of the brightest minds in science...daddys' aren't allowed to help present the information so you can't rest assured she knew her stuff. All of the participants have mentors but that is necessary because it usually involves lab resources, etc.

All that said, I respect that we simply disagree about the signifcance of all this. I, too, am a feminist which is why I celebrate women who achieve. I promise that you won't find me backing the parasites of Hollywood, who lack talent and perpetuate the idea that it is "hot" to be an airhead.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information