Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lucy Liu at "Freedom's Fury" Special Screening (11/17/2006)

Everything has gotten so PC that it's to the point of lunacy. It's so bad to say a black woman looks like a monkey (just using that example) yet no one cares if a white woman (like Paris Hilton) is compared to a bird, or whatever. I don't see how saying a person looks like a certain animal is bad, in either case.

used to think she was gorgeous, but lately since reading the boards here ive been noticing her eyes more and more. i think you guys have made me prejudiced....lol.
    "I'll probably just end up in some seedy bar with some seedy blonde"-some random Englishman

I guess it depends on her makeup artist's work.

I don't think she has a wonk eye, just that one eye's bigger than the other (like Christy Turlington).

However, I've never seen any Asian female with freckles, other than Lucy:

P.S. My friend got to hang out w/ her and says she's very personable and actually quite funnY!
    Go Habs Go!!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Why is it that whenever someone calls Lucy Lui beautiful, the old debate about the Asian standard of beauty comes up?

To me, she's very pretty, as a woman, not as an Asian. Why does it matter that there are better looking Asian women?

Apparently, I have my own standard of beauty, regardless of the Asian, African, or European beauty standard. Isn't that the way it should be?
    This comes up a lot because among many Asians in the U.S. (myself included), Lucy Liu is nothing special so to have her "represent" us as one of the few breakout Asian actresses in Hollywood is frustrating because there are so many more more beautiful and talented Asian actresses who've been relegated to obscurity because Hollywood has already decided that a couple of Asian movie actresses is enough. It'd be one thing if recognizable and successful Asian actresses (like white actresses) were a dime a dozen but I can only think of three or four--Zhang Ziyi, Lucy Liu, Lucy Liu, and Sandra Oh. The same goes for other non-white actresses. It's annoying. That said, I think Lucy is very pretty and I like her. I also have a wonk eye

I think she is absolutely beautiful. Ever since the Ally McBeal days; I've loved this woman.

Quote Originally Posted by CherubRock View Post
    I still think she's really pretty. Plus, she got to be the love interest in a movie with Cillian Murphy. I'm jealous of her.
    I stayed at Cillian Murphy's cousin's house when I was in Ireland for 3 months, but I never got to see him

Lucy Lui is okey...

Quote Originally Posted by Appollonia View Post
    This comes up a lot because among many Asians in the U.S. (myself included), Lucy Liu is nothing special so to have her "represent" us as one of the few breakout Asian actresses in Hollywood is frustrating because there are so many more more beautiful and talented Asian actresses who've been relegated to obscurity because Hollywood has already decided that a couple of Asian movie actresses is enough. It'd be one thing if recognizable and successful Asian actresses (like white actresses) were a dime a dozen but I can only think of three or four--Zhang Ziyi, Lucy Liu, Lucy Liu, and Sandra Oh. The same goes for other non-white actresses. It's annoying. That said, I think Lucy is very pretty and I like her. I also have a wonk eye
    Okay, good, I can understand that. Probably the way I felt when Claudia Schiffer became famous. But I have a feeling that most people complaining about Lucy Lui not meeting the Asian standard of beauty are not Asians.

Anyway, I like her wonky eye very much. Sometimes, little imperfect things make otherwise average people beautiful.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

But I have a feeling that most people complaining about Lucy Lui not meeting the Asian standard of beauty are not Asians.
    I have to disagree with that one.
    I'm Asian, if you already didn't know AZN represent! People who grew up in Asia like myself or others who are into Asian cinema, music, culture and what not, know of a lot more Asian female celebs than others who may only know about 5 Asian actresses in Hollywood. So our perception of beauty would of course be influenced by what we've been exposed to. So from my point of view and experience I'm saying that Lucy is nothing special and rather on the ugly side of the scale. Like I said, if I was newly exposed to Western culture and started saying Tori Spelling (or anyone that's generally considered ugly) was beautiful, I'm sure others would tell me I have an askewed view.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Elite Member

I loved her on Ally McBeal because of her character's fiery personality. She was great in the Charlies Angels series too. I think she has a unique beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
    I stayed at Cillian Murphy's cousin's house when I was in Ireland for 3 months, but I never got to see him

Lucy Lui is okey...
    Wow, that must've been cool. Did his cousin look like him at all?

SVZ

lucy after getting plastic surgery and skin whitening treatments to conform to asian beauty standards

Quote Originally Posted by CherubRock View Post
    Wow, that must've been cool. Did his cousin look like him at all?
    Just a little bit. He was not so tall and a bit chubby, but was a really nice person. He told me Cillian were staying in his house when he was shooting a movie in town last year or something. I'm praying I slept in the same bed as he

Quote: <TABLE class=bordercolor cellSpacing=1 width="90%" bgColor=#606060><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%"><TABLE class=quote cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%">20 April 2006
    Cillian Murphy film selected for Cannes
    Director Ken Loach's new film, the Cillian Murphy-starring Irish Civil War drama 'The Wind That Shakes the Barley', has been selected for competition at this year's Cannes Film Festival.

The film stars Cillian Murphy, Liam Cunningham, Orla Fitzgerald and Padraic Delaney and tells the story of two brothers on opposite sides during the Civil War.

The Irish-UK-Italian-German-Spanish co-production was shot in Bandon Town, Mallow, Buttevant, Coolea and Killarney.

Commenting on the film's selection, Irish Film Board Chief Executive Simon Perry said: "Ken Loach and the production team behind this film must be congratulated on a tremendous achievement. 'The Wind That Shakes the Barley' deals with an important and difficult period in Irish history from a strictly human point of view."

He continued: "This is the first [Irish] film selected for competition in Cannes since John Boorman's 'The General' and we are delighted that Ireland will once again be represented at the world's most prestigious festival."

The Cannes Film Festival runs from 18 to 28 May.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    source: http://cillianforum.proboards29.com/...ead=1145681452

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    I have to disagree with that one.
    I'm Asian, if you already didn't know AZN represent! People who grew up in Asia like myself or others who are into Asian cinema, music, culture and what not, know of a lot more Asian female celebs than others who may only know about 5 Asian actresses in Hollywood. So our perception of beauty would of course be influenced by what we've been exposed to. So from my point of view and experience I'm saying that Lucy is nothing special and rather on the ugly side of the scale. Like I said, if I was newly exposed to Western culture and started saying Tori Spelling (or anyone that's generally considered ugly) was beautiful, I'm sure others would tell me I have an askewed view.
    Even If I didn't grow up in Asia, the five Asian actresses in Hollywood are not the only Asian females I've been exposed to. I have Asian girls in my circle of friends who look better than Lucy Lui, let alone those I see in the streets. And I still find her beautiful, probably because of her not being entirely perfect. So Asian beauty standard or not, I find her pretty as a human being.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information