Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kelly Clarkson having fun on the beach, Bahamas (04/16/2006)

Default Re: Kelly Clarkson having fun on the beach, Bahamas (04/16/2006)

I wasn't getting on a high horse. I was stating my opinion. I admit to bashing people who have mutilated themselves or starved themselves, but I get tired of people who have all their natural-born qualities being ripped apart. geez.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Rizzo
    I'm totally fine with ripping on celebs for their bodies. They definitely aren't putting in 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year so they have PLENTY of time to get in shape and they certainly have enough money to hire a personal trainer and eat right.

I think the issue is ripping on women in general who have normal/average bodies. Ripping Nicole Richie and Lindsay Lohan for being emaciated twigs and ripping Star Jones(pre-op) for being 500 pounds is on thing. But ripping a girl who is comfortably in between those two extremes is another. Who knows if Kelly works out or eats healthy foods. I work out, eat healthy and I still have small boobs and round hips. I'm pretty happy with my body and it looks like Kelly is pretty happy with hers too.

As women, I'm sure we have all had to temper our opinions on other women's bodies. I am trying to completely eliminate the phrase "She is fat" from my vocabulary. We need to embrace all HEALTHY body types.

Oddly enough, I agree with most of the points above:

* I don't like her body
    * I don't think she's fat
    * I don't think her shape should be overly criticised
    * I think its nice to a celeb who isn't rake-thin
    * I wouldn't want her body, and do think its unfortunate
    * I don't think we should bash normal women's body shapes
    * I think some of you are being over-senstive about her figure

SVZ

I think she looks fine.

She won a contest by virtue of her ability to sing, nothing else...I mean look at the freakshow that was Justin Guarini.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMix
    None of my posts ripped her apart either. I have an opinion that i don't like her body. SO FUCKING WHAT. This board is DEDICATED to ripping celebs apart. If I look at the post history of the people who are pissed because not everyone likes Kelly's weird body, I bet a find posts from most of them ripping another celeb apart for something. I don't get why we have so many threads just lambasting celebs but occasionally some people on here feel the need to get on their high horse about something. It makes no sense.

I STILL DON'T LIKE HER BODY!
    As I do my part to keep this stupid squabble going... I just need to stay away from arguments, yeesh.

I rip celebs apart for being fake, stupid, and wearing hideous outfits or makeup. I applaud the ones who aren't.

I'm all for mocking, but as someone else said, I draw the line when it comes to in-shape women with a natural shape and weight. I might say "wow, her hips are big," but as far as I'm aware, I usually qualify that statement with "well, she's in good shape and at least she's happy with the way she looks and hasn't gotten plastic surgery. Kudos to her." I don't take it any further than a passing comment and I don't mock the person. If I have and just don't remember, shame on me. I barely commented on Mandisa's large bottom half, even though she certainly wasn't in-shape and, therefore, totally open to mocking, IMO.

Weight and body type are a sensitive topic for we ladies, so I don't know why you're suprised that some of us commented on it.

Now, I can and will make fun of Kelly's face in those pictures, cuz it's just not pretty without makeup in those particular shots.

AyanEva

Elite Member

She is on the beach, having fun with friends and riding the waves and it looks like one of them bit it so they are laughing about it. She is not posing for a photoshoot so why on earth would she need makeup on?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Rizzo
    It's okay to say she's not pretty, but it's not okay to say she's not skinny?? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Look, I don't care who likes Kelly's body or who doesn't. And I AM a woman and I think Kelly's legs are FAT. It's MY opinion and I believe I'm entitled to it just as you're entitled to your opinion.
    Yes, I'm aware that you're a woman and I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion. As for the first statement, I never said it wasn't OK to say that she wasn't skinny... It's just not cool to make fun of people who aren't fat. But since you think her legs are fat, that's probably a moot point, I suppose. It's OK to disagree, I was just explaining my position, since you had the opportunity to explain yours.

Why are you getting so angry and defensive, btw? I thought my post was pretty calm and it wasn't even directed at you. I was responding to MonkeyMix.

happy8: I never said she needed makeup on (does anyone actually read posts?) I just said her face didn't look great in those pics. It's squinched up and red, that's pretty undebatable.
    ------------------------------
    I should probably clarify that this isn't directed towards any one person in particular.

[edit]: Why are we vehemently disagreeing online anyway (I had written argument there, but it was a poor choice of words)? <---most pointless activity ever, but I always seem to do it. Damn me and my inability to listen to that little voice in my head that says "Don't do it! Don't do it!"

AyanEva

Call it whatever you want. Geez. Love the sensitivity on this board!
    I bet SOMEWHERE in your 1700 plus posts I can find a post by you ripping someone for something natural.

um, I've never had a squabble with you Monkey, not sure why you are getting in a tizzy.

Oooh ffs this is so petty! If no-one wants to argue, and no-one is sure why they are arguing, why do it!?

I really didn't think I was arguing...I feel calm and collected. This whole topic is not affecting me nearly enough to make enemies, that's for damn sure.

Bronze Member

I STILL think she needs boobs- JMHO. If she doesn't think she needs them, more power to her, I'm glad she can be comfy with the way she is. I asked my husband what was the first thing that popped into his head when he saw these pics, and he said, "she needs boobs". The rest of her is perfectly fine- I don't think she's fat or ugly. She's highly talented, and really didn't get to where she is because of the way she looks, which is highly unusual. It's not surprising she doesn't have the "perfect" type body. JMHO.

-Heavenlee

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon
    I really didn't think I was arguing...I feel calm and collected. This whole topic is not affecting me nearly enough to make enemies, that's for damn sure.
    You're right, I chose my words poorly in my particular post. I changed it!

AyanEva

What the FUCK is that SUPPOSED to mean?

()

You got me for a second. I'm like WTF?! Good one.

[edit]: To show my geekiness, I'm going to say too bad this thread doesn't qualify as fandom wank. It's wank for sure, but not the right type. We could totally make it to fandom_wank with it. Someone needs to start a page for general message board wank...

And now I promise that this is my last post in this thread. No really, it is! *stop laughing in disbelief*

AyanEva

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlee
    I STILL think she needs boobs- JMHO. If she doesn't think she needs them, more power to her, I'm glad she can be comfy with the way she is. I asked my husband what was the first thing that popped into his head when he saw these pics, and he said, "she needs boobs". The rest of her is perfectly fine- I don't think she's fat or ugly. She's highly talented, and really didn't get to where she is because of the way she looks, which is highly unusual. It's not surprising she doesn't have the "perfect" type body. JMHO.

-Heavenlee
    OK, not trying to jump on anyone, we all have our own opinions. But ^^^ this is what alarms me. She already HAS boobs, I guess they aren't as big as what our lovely media-obsessed culture has shoved down our throats? And the "perfect" body type is in the eye of the beholder.

But, this is JMO, natch! I love ALL body types!
    Let's AV DIS!

I think I need to remind myself that celebrities open themselves up to this scrutiny. I still don't think it's right, but they put themselves out there in the public eye, and we attack like dogs. Now maybe I'd be justified in my irritation if we just posted random pics of normal women and began to nitpick their bodies...especially if a pic showed up of me, lol.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information