Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Kate Winslet's face, at the London "Holiday" premiere (02/12/07)

Elite Member

I'll repeat it once more: I don't have one wrinkle, not even when I smile. Now, I'm not saying I never will, but not all people age at the same rate. African-American women and latin or olive-skinned women age at a slower rate than fair skinned women. I don't smoke, I rarely drink, I excercise, I drink tons of water, I avoid the sun like the plague and I have always been a firm believer that the type of life we lead shows on our face. I believe very much in holistic medicine, meditation and having a positive outlook. This, I believe, contributes a lot to one's exterior. My only vice is that I stay up very late and don't get enough sleep most nights. Luckily, it hasn't shown on my skin--yet.

I also come (thankfully) from a family where I many of the women stay youthful for many years. My mother is 56 and looks 45 years-old. If you saw her sisters, you'd be shocked. They are in their 50's and look extremely young. My sister had her first baby at 32 years-old and didn't get one stretch-mark (honest!). So the aging process and the type of skin we inherit is determined not only by environmental factors but genetics too. I saw an Oprah show a couple of weeks back and they had women in their 30's, 40's, 50's and even 70's and these women looked FANTASTIC. They looked up to a decade or two younger without surgery. Why is this so difficult to believe and why is human nature always built to sustain the negative instead of the positive? I applaud women like that and find it shocking that somehow being 30 is considered 'old' and that a woman of 31 who has many wrinkles is considered 'normal'. In a world where we are living to be 80 years old, the 30's, 40's and 50's are extremely young. Kate Winslet in my opinion is not ugly, but I was shocked that I'm older than her. In my opinion she is extremely young to have so many crows feet. Perhaps it's her genetic makeup and that's okay, but I was still very surprised.

Also, FYI, I never said I wouldn't get wrinkles. I said I have not gotten any wrinkles in my 20's or 30's. Perhaps I will get them in my 40's or 50's, which is totally acceptable, but there is nothing wrong with taking care of oneself. There are a lot of women out there who pride themself in looking good. But to somehow make the assumption that someone is vain or self-absorbed because of that fact is rather ludicrous. Especially when they go to great lengths to take care of their health--period. It's no more and no less. Mind-body-spirit. It's all connected. I've known people who've gotten grey hair since they were teenagers. I got my first grey hair at 34. We are NOT all alike and no one is lying. I know many 'normal' women who don't get surgery and look fabulous. Why does that irk some? As women we should actually be encouraging each other to stay fit and healthy and in all actuality, happy. (There's a key word)

When this board quits tearing apart every woman for having 'skinny arms', 'veiny arms', 'no ass', 'skinny legs', 'big lips', 'huge tits', 'a huge head', and quits calling them bitches a ho's just by the way they look, then perhaps everyone else will take lead. Especially when you have topics titled "Kate Winslet's face, wrinkled like a prune, London holiday premiere (02/12/07)"and many chiming in in agreement.

If we're going to start 'calling people out' for hypocrisy and go that route, let's all get real then. It's time for some self-inventory.

Thanks.

It's a gossip board. The topic of this thread did not come from the mods or the admin, it came from a poster. I can only imagine the outcry if we started re-writing thread titles instead of just fixing errors and thread titling mistakes.

Well, lah dee fucking dah, PrettyGirl. Aren't you a scientific marvel? It must be so fucking nice to be so fucking perfect.

Elite Member

^ Wicked Ho, why are you always so darn angry? lol. You're always so hostile. I won't take your remark personally because I know it's not me, it's just your nature. However, your obscenity is a tad overboard. There's no reason to use the 'F' word so much. You need to drop it down a notch. There's ways to state your opinion with some tact. If you want to speak like you just came out of the gutter, that's on you, just know that you're not exactly going to get positive feedback from anyone on this planet with language like that. Somehow, though, I think you're totally immune to the vile.

You can have the 'last word' if you wish. I've said exactly what I need to say to you and I have nothing more to add. To keep responding would be partaking in needless and pointless dialogue. Today I choose not to do such.

Oh PrettyGirl, now you're physically perfect and condescending....don't worry - it looks good on you.

Wicked wasn't the only one irritated by your comments, just the only one that responded. It's particularly insulting when someone who is virtually flawless jumpes into a conversation and comments on someone else's wrinkles. Since you are so keen in handing out social lessons, I'll toss one your way.

As a general rule, if you don't have cellulite - DO NOT participate in a conversation about someone else's cellulite...you'll just end up looking like a bitch. This holds true for just about any physical feature or imperfection.

Mentioning that you have no wrinkles adds no credibility to your opinion, no depth to your character and serves no purpose but to make you even more unlikable.

Call me bitter, call me jealous but don't you dare call me prematurely wrinkley!

She probably is a somker, all those actresses are secret smokers.

From PrettyGirl:

I saw an Oprah show a couple of weeks back and they had women in their 30's, 40's, 50's and even 70's and these women looked FANTASTIC. They looked up to a decade or two younger without surgery. Why is this so difficult to believe and why is human nature always built to sustain the negative instead of the positive? I applaud women like that and find it shocking that somehow being 30 is considered 'old' and that a woman of 31 who has many wrinkles is considered 'normal'. In a world where we are living to be 80 years old, the 30's, 40's and 50's are extremely young. Kate Winslet in my opinion is not ugly, but I was shocked that I'm older than her.
    I saw that show as well. Some of those women were very impressive, especially the black woman who was in her seventies. She looked thirty or more years younger. I agree that it's genetics and lifestyle. I also was surprised that Kate has more wrinkles that I would expect for someone her age. But, like others have written, she probably was a smoker. It doesn't make a whit of difference to me. I love Kate. She's a fabulous actress. On the other hand, if a celebrity's veiny arms are ridiculed to no end, what's the difference with critisizing here? Maybe it depends on the actress?

Elite Member

^^picara your avatar is cracking me up

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyGirl View Post
    ^ Wicked Ho, why are you always so darn angry? lol.
    I don't get angry. I get irritated. Often, by the likes of you.

You're always so hostile.
    No, I'm not. You just like to use hyperboles.

I won't take your remark personally because I know it's not me, it's just your nature. However, your obscenity is a tad overboard. There's no reason to use the 'F' word so much. You need to drop it down a notch.
    Oh, shut the fuck up. How dare you deign to tell me what I "need" to do? Oh, Lawdy, the nerve of some people! As I said before, it must be so fucking nice to be so fucking perfect. I wish I could be more like you.

There's ways to state your opinion with some tact.
    Fuck tact.

If you want to speak like you just came out of the gutter, that's on you, just know that you're not exactly going to get positive feedback from anyone on this planet with language like that.
    You're sure full of a whole fuckload of hyperboles, aren't ya?

Somehow, though, I think you're totally immune to the vile.
    I'm not immune. I just have a reeeeally thick skin and a fantastically wicked sense of humor. Jealous? You should be. I have no enemies and am beloved by all.

You can have the 'last word' if you wish. I've said exactly what I need to say to you and I have nothing more to add. To keep responding would be partaking in needless and pointless dialogue. Today I choose not to do such.
    I can have the last word? Really? Oh goody!!! Lessee... I think my last word will be... sassafras. I like that word.

OH MY GOD! But if she looked liked Marica Cross we would all be hating! Helllo............ we all age!

YAWN!

I think Kate Winslet looks great. I agree that those aren't actually age lines, but more connected to the fact that she has such a wide smile. She's very pretty and likeable, and I much prefer her big "wrinkly prune face" to the shiny expressionless face of Nicole Kidman.

Yeah, I love Nicole Kidman and all, she's a big ole freak and I dig that, but damn! She doesn't always do the botox thing, but still... *shudder*

Gold Member

To me, Kate Winslet looks older than 31. Of course, it could just be her expression or a bad picture. She's a good actress, anyway. I hope she doesn't go the botox route like most of her peers.

I also think she seems older than 31, but I think for me its more the fact that she's been around for ages rather than her looking old. As someone else said, if she was really 31, she would be around 21/22 in Titanic (1997). That's my age now and she looks a lot older than me.

SVZ

I don't know about you guys, but when I scrutinize myself I certainly don't take 300 mega pixel close ups of my face and look for imperfections.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information