Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gwen Stefani shows off Harajuku Lovers Apparel

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMix View Post
    I have never understood the appeal of this woman. She dresses like a clown and her pipes are like nails on a chalkboard.
    And nice spackle make-up, btw.
    ditto

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

omg GROW THE FUCK UP GWEN!
    enough with the wigs, the halloween costumes, the leggings, and the fake tits! GROW UP! Im sick of YOU!

She's lucky she is hot because without her looks she'd be just another
    so-so singer and No Doubt definitely would not have been so successful.
    That really is the only reason she can get away with her ridiculous outfits, because she is hot, if she wasn't no one would put up with it. Besides that is it just me or is the whole Pirate wench meets Alice in Wonderland thing getting a little annoying?

I like Gwen's style. It's tacky and fun, very kitsch. She's got the right attitude to pull it off: down-to-earth (as in, not full of herself) and free-spirited. Good for her.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by Teceth View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Harajuku girls hang out in public places in Japan and are known for their mix-it-up funky idiosyncratic style. I don't think Harajuku is a place or a organized thing, just some girls making their own fashion statement. I think they look ridiculous, myself. And while Gwen is a breathtaking woman, I can't see me wearing a single piece of clothing she's designed, unless I was in the circus or some fucked-up ballet.
    Harajuku is a name of a district in Tokyo, Japan, lots of stores, shopping malls, night clubs, bars etc. Lots of teens come hang out there. It's like the cool place to be, so they kinda got a youth culture and fashion of their own. I think that's where Gwen got her ideas from (to have a group of girls representing this to surround her 24/7).

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    Harajuku is a name of a district in Tokyo, Japan, lots of stores, shopping malls, night clubs, bars etc. Lots of teens come hang out there. It's like the cool place to be, so they kinda got a youth culture and fashion of their own. I think that's where Gwen got her ideas from (to have a group of girls representing this to surround her 24/7).
    I doubt it. Gwen's been around for at least 10 years, and I'm sure she's always had a quirky style of her own, even when she was a nobody. I bet she dresses herself not with a full outfit in mind but with what pieces she'd like to wear that day. I've based an entire outfit on what shoes I felt like wearing for the day, or even what earrings I felt like wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Teceth View Post
    I can't see me wearing a single piece of clothing she's designed, unless I was in the circus or some fucked-up ballet.
    She actually had a very elegant lace patterned trench coat a season or two ago that blew out of stores. I also think some of the blazers are great (you can see 'em on www.shopbop.com), and I would wear the green ruffled top that Kelly Osbourne wore recently. The clothes in the line aren't the same as the clothes she wears to perform or to attend public appearances. I don't actually have any of her line, because I generally buy vintage, but there are some of her pieces that I could definitely do.

Elite Member

That outfit looks an awful lot like the things Vivienne Westwood was doing fifteen years or so ago. Not that it's news that the Elegant Gothic Lolita/Harajuku thing Gwen is ripping is heavily influenced by Vivienne Westwood - but can't Gwennie see this for herself? Doesn't she have people working for her who could point this out to her? Isn't she slightly embarrassed to be copying Westwood by way of a Japanese teen subculture? I know I would be!

Vivienne Westwood's signature corset top - has already been knocked off by hundreds of designers and companies, but still. She's been doing it for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by thrpschr View Post
    That outfit looks an awful lot like the things Vivienne Westwood was doing fifteen years or so ago. Not that it's news that the Elegant Gothic Lolita/Harajuku thing Gwen is ripping is heavily influenced by Vivienne Westwood - but can't Gwennie see this for herself? Doesn't she have people working for her who could point this out to her? Isn't she slightly embarrassed to be copying Westwood by way of a Japanese teen subculture? I know I would be!

Vivienne Westwood's signature corset top - has already been knocked off by hundreds of designers and companies, but still. She's been doing it for decades.

All designers rip everyone off. That's why vintage stores have stock that they only show/rent/sell to designers and not regular customers. The designers cut the old clothes apart and make new patterns from them, and that's at both the high and the low end. There's very little new under the sun.

Elite Member

Of course there's npthing new under the sun; that's what fashion is about. Marie Antoinette's seamstress, Rose Bertin, is supposed to have said that there is nothing new, only that which is forgotten - and that was in the 1780's. That idea isn't new, either.

But there's a difference between being inspired, and knocking off. There's also a difference between the way large clothing chains, selling inexpensive clothing to ordinary people, knock off expensive haute couture designers; and haute couture designers knocking off other, contemporary haute couture designers.

If I was Gwen, I'd be ashamed. She's not being inspired, or paying homage; she's knocking off. *shrugs*

^^ I say: Gwen just wears what she likes, regardless of what's "in," regardless of "style." It works for her.

Quote Originally Posted by thrpschr View Post
    Of course there's npthing new under the sun; that's what fashion is about. Marie Antoinette's seamstress, Rose Bertin, is supposed to have said that there is nothing new, only that which is forgotten - and that was in the 1780's. That idea isn't new, either.

But there's a difference between being inspired, and knocking off. There's also a difference between the way large clothing chains, selling inexpensive clothing to ordinary people, knock off expensive haute couture designers; and haute couture designers knocking off other, contemporary haute couture designers.

If I was Gwen, I'd be ashamed. She's not being inspired, or paying homage; she's knocking off. *shrugs*
    No different, IMHO, than Nicolas Ghesquiere copying Kaisik Wong stitch by stitch (as he publicly acknowledged after being exposed by hintmag.com and the New York Times) or Prada copying Ossie Clark, also stitch by stitch. Ossie was inspired by the '30s, but to my knowledge (I could be wrong) he didn't actually cut up the old dresses and make patterns from them like Prada did with one of his dresses a few seasons ago. I have a picture of them side by side somewhere, if I have time I'll scan it. Tom Ford, also known for taking apart old designs and copying them exactly. He did some very nice Halstons, come to think of it.... Though he always sent "his people" to my friends' stores and didn't make an appearance himself to buy. You could call it inspiration if you were being kind...or you could call it stealing. *Shrug* I find it less annoying for someone at Stefani's level to do it -- lower expectations -- than for the supposed fashion geniuses to be doing it.

she looks like one of those japanese manga characters

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    Sorry 'bout that! That'll teach me to act like I know what I'm talking about!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Default Re: Gwen Stefani shows off Harajuku Lovers Apparel

Yep, those tits are more and more prominent - yeuch
    I wont comment on her outfit, seeing as its her work outfit and cant be taken seriously as an actual outfit that one wears to go somewhere. Its just her thing I guess.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information