Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emmy Rossum at The Spirit of Independence Awards (06/28/07)

Bronze Member

I am middle of the road about Rossum. Thinks she is very pretty. Usually well dressed. This new "BF" is really just a buddy from Geffen. Geffen even announced it. I thought she was ok in POTO. I love the POTO no matter what. I heard from a camerman I knew on the last film she made with Lucas, she and Lucas had a run in. But, he ap0ologized later. He has a temper. Anyway, cam guy said everyone liked her a lot. Russell and Dreyfuss were protective of her,like a daughter. Cam guy says she was very sweet. I just read in two issues, she is being offered Broadway musical and some films. So, she is hot again. Guess she has a new CD and tour out,too. she is back in public a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by _bluenotes View Post
    I think she's pretty and most importantly extremely talented. I thought both her acting and singing skills in Phantom were absolutely amazing.

Also, when I saw the concerts for Diana with the musical part the other day, I was so disappointed in the original Phantom of the Opera Christine - Emmy is (in my opinion) way more talented!
    Are you kidding? Sarah Brightman IS the best Christine in the Phantom history. The musical was written for HER voice. Yes, her voice now is very poor, but listen to it back then (or to ANY other stage Christine) and understand what a poor choice Emmy was. Her voice was completely altered in the movie, they had to change the key of some songs for her (and she still sounded awful and shrill) and she's had ONE facial expression the entire time. The Phantom movie was SUCH a joke, I hate watching it.

YouTube - all i ask of you - compare this to the rubbish Diana performance. Her voice is really not what it used to be.
    YouTube - Sarah Brightman - Wishing you were somehow here again
    YouTube - Phantom of the Opera--1988 Tony Awards

She is pretty, but in a mannequin sort of way. It's like I'm not looking at a human, but a wax replica of a person. It's weird. Like really huge eyes and pale skin. It's like that tall alien-like lady from the movie "Mars Attacks."

She's not pretty to me, she kinda looks 'slow' if you want my honest opinion and those feet GD cover them up. I know she can't help that her feet are ugly but she can at least cover them up so she looks a tiny bit better. Crusty feet and open shoes should NEVER be worn together, she needs a pedicure asap.
    Her outfit and shoes are ugly too but that doesn't matter when someone that ugly is wearing it.

i think she is very pretty and very girl next door-ish

I think she's cute as a button, well-dressed, and has nice hair, especially in Phantom of the Opera.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    She's not pretty to me, she kinda looks 'slow' if you want my honest opinion and those feet GD cover them up. I know she can't help that her feet are ugly but she can at least cover them up so she looks a tiny bit better. Crusty feet and open shoes should NEVER be worn together, she needs a pedicure asap.
    Her outfit and shoes are ugly too but that doesn't matter when someone that ugly is wearing it.
    That's EXACTLY it... The big, empty, droopy, dead eyes and slackjawed/pouty look that she seems to love. I think she's going for "cute" and "vulnerable" or "sexy" but she always comes across to me as "retarded".

Quote Originally Posted by NHKMM View Post
    Are you kidding? Sarah Brightman IS the best Christine in the Phantom history. The musical was written for HER voice. Yes, her voice now is very poor, but listen to it back then (or to ANY other stage Christine) and understand what a poor choice Emmy was. Her voice was completely altered in the movie, they had to change the key of some songs for her (and she still sounded awful and shrill) and she's had ONE facial expression the entire time. The Phantom movie was SUCH a joke, I hate watching it.

YouTube - all i ask of you - compare this to the rubbish Diana performance. Her voice is really not what it used to be.
    YouTube - Sarah Brightman - Wishing you were somehow here again
    YouTube - Phantom of the Opera--1988 Tony Awards
    Definitely an enormous difference between the link you posted and the Diana concert - her voice was way more pure and solid back then. It was as if she was trying to overdo what is now left of her voice at the Diana concert.

Still, I'll have to disagree with you. I think Emmy did a really great job with Christine in the movie. And I definitely don't think that movie was a joke. But I guess it's all a question of taste

Quote Originally Posted by _bluenotes View Post
    Definitely an enormous difference between the link you posted and the Diana concert - her voice was way more pure and solid back then. It was as if she was trying to overdo what is now left of her voice at the Diana concert.

Still, I'll have to disagree with you. I think Emmy did a really great job with Christine in the movie. And I definitely don't think that movie was a joke. But I guess it's all a question of taste
    The movie is fine - until you see the stage show That's when it becomes a total joke, unfortunately. It could have been done SO much better.

And yes - problematic technique and bad habits in her singing have totally ruined Sarah's breathing, projection and support, unfortunately.

Bronze Member

Brightman has really lost it, and that is sad. I was a fan early on. Now, her facial expressions (far worse than Rossum's and never as attractive) are disturbing. She so overdoes everything. Her clothing and those weird hair things. Rossum's body compared to her, i have to say is far lovlier- age not a factor. I saw the original POTO and it was wonderful. The film was different. I have to say, however. Rossum was a beautiful Christine. All films voices are altered. Some more than others. she is maturing and her voice (not a power popera like SB now) but getting better and better. Give them both credit is my stand. Also, it is more and more in press here and across the pond, Emmy is absolutely being offered a big musical Broadway drama (over $15-20 million budget) and several films. So , guess she is doing more and more since the new CD,video, and documentary on her. I jut wish them both well. I don't get the arrogant ,bitchy thing from Emmy Rossum. I think she is a very bright student (was) and is very confident. As many say they loved working with her, as those who claim they didn't. So....I say give her a fair shake and let's see how all the new works go. I wonder what Sarah will do now as her career seems to be fading with her voice.

Brightman has really lost it, and that is sad.
    I agree. The saddest and most pathetic thing is that she MIMED 100% of the songs in her 2004 Harem world tour. How lame.

Rossum's body compared to her, i have to say is far lovlier-
    Disagree on that. Miss Brightman has one of the sexiest, perfect women bodies I ever saw - Emmy's just a skinny girl.

I saw the original POTO and it was wonderful.
    *jealous*!!!

All films voices are altered. Some more than others. she is maturing and her voice (not a power popera like SB now) but getting better and better.
    Her versions of the songs were still beyond awful. Shrill and unprofessional. They could have had a MUCH better Christine (and Phantom. And Raoul)

Also, it is more and more in press here and across the pond, Emmy is absolutely being offered a big musical Broadway drama (over $15-20 million budget) and several films. So , guess she is doing more and more since the new CD,video, and documentary on her.
    I wish her the best of luck

I wonder what Sarah will do now as her career seems to be fading with her voice.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
    Well, her voice is definitely fading - but her career isn't. Her latest Collection, Diva, was a Billboard number one for a long time - and her next album is very anticipated. I hope it's worthy and I hope she can recover her once beautiful voice. It's all a matter of technique.

Bronze Member

I agreee with most of what you say. I guess I love SB and feel sad about her voice. Hope she does continue to do well. I just never cared for her look and expressions. Emmy is "growing into a woman" and I think will be lovely. She has beautiful expressions. I can't see how one look thru a gallery of them which I just did and say "deer in headlight or fake smile,etc". I guess I don't like harsh attacks which some do. (not meaning you at all) I thought (having seen the original) POTO film was a very different Christine. But, I enjoyed and appreciated the difference. The haters/purist seem to have gone so overboard and slid into hatred of Emmy and the film. I have seen Patrick Wilson live and can say I don't care much for him inPOTO or other works. He is fine in EVENING, the film. ALW made the selection for the film (which is his right as the creator of the theatre piece and film) cast and I guess he felt in his heart he saw his Christine. Or so he said. I was actually moved by her presence and voice, knowing it needed more growth,training and technique. She is gaining all that now. This is what I hear anyway. I hope Sarah continues to do well. I really do!
    I will go to see Emmy when the Broadway show happens. I will be interested. I want to see the films,too. I want to see how she has grown. The last ship wreck was no way to judge.
    I miss the earlier Sarah
    Last edited by Musicfame; July 13th, 2007 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I also think she's annoying and it's hard to pinpoint why. But she strikes me as no great beauty, she's even got the slightly down-turned FAS eyes, and that clueless deer in the headlights look. Honestly, she seems like she probably slept her way to where she is.

But I do love those shoes.
    ^^When you mentioned FAS, it made me curious...I enlarged some of the pix to see what the space between her upper lip and her nose looked like. People with FAS often don't have the grooves running between their upper lip and nose like normal people have. And y'know what? It doesn't look like she does, either. Hmmm....
    We all like to think we're so special. But in the end, we all do the same stupid shit. - Dennis Miller

Bronze Member

The FAS comment are mean spirited to say the least. My cousin is in that catergory. Emmy Rossum is not. Honestly, I was middle of the road with her. The more I see the vicious attack on her, I wonder about people. Judging an actors work or clothing, make-up, etc is one thing...this kind of assault like some do on Rossum is ludicrous. She was born the way she was born. I would imagine most of those who post the nasty attacks could never compare to Rossum's lovely looks, kindness personality, graciousness, and talent. No, I do not know her. yes, I know people with whom she has worked, and they felt she was all of the above. You don't have to like her, but give decent reasons . I, along with many, will be happy to see her do well on Broadway in 08-9 and in her upcoming film projects. I wish her luck on her CD. BTW, she is very intelligent and her college studies and world experience have only intensified that intelligence. Give the young woman a break.

^ How you doing there, Emmy?
    lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information